New Thoughts on Watches
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: New Thoughts on Watches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Thoughts on Watches

Hello all,

I thought I would share an interesting thing that has happened to me recently.
    If interested, Please see this post I have made before, since its kind of relevant:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/sig...d-4815563.html

Anyways, I have finally purchased my Dream watch. The 14060M Sub. And here is an interesting discovery I have made. I prefer smaller watches! It took my favorite watch to teach me that.

I have significantly downsized my collection, as can be seen from the linked thread. And then Purchased a Tudor Heritage Black Bay, and finally recently I have purchased the Sub.

My first fine timepiece was a Breitling Colt 44mm, and it felt amazing, until I wore the elegant 40mm sub. And here is the discovery I made. I actually have a small wrist (right under 7 inches).

My whole life I considered myself a large guy, Since most of my life I have been overweight (spent my 20s at 6ft 250lbs) and about 5 years ago, I dropped down to about 185-190. For some odd reason, in my mind, my view of myself has remained as a big guy. I guess not. After wearing the sub for a few days, I have realized how large and cumbersome the Colt really is! Its so interesting, because when I purchased the Colt, I thought that a 44 is the smallest I am willing to go. Now, I feel ridiculous when wearing the Breitling. What do you guys think? What do you think is the sweetspot for a wrist thats about 6.8 inches?

Anyways, as a minimalist, I still believe that a perfect watch collection does not exceed 3 watches. So now I am actually thinking of selling both the Tudor and the Colt, and take that money, and put it towards either an Oyster Perpetual, or a 36DJ. I really want a watch with a white dial.

Its so funny, that often times we dont really know what we need until we have it. I used to think 44 was good, now I never want to go above 40 MAYBE 41.

Here is a pic of all my pieces on my wrist. I love the G-Shock with Bluetooth. Its actually pretty cool with the app on the iPhone which adjusts to time-zones, as well as gives you the ability to find your phone if you misplace it. I do wish i purchased a smaller G-Shock, but I thought that bigger was better! Excellent for travel to shady places. Its cheap and does its job well. But as you guys can see, the Sub fits perfectly on my wrist, where the Colt seems to be large.
    Name:  IMG_6241.JPG
Views: 66
Size:  1.12 MB

Although every watch I have purchased when I reached a certain milestone, I feel like I rather sell the ones that wont get much more wrist time, and let someone else enjoy them!

Re: New Thoughts on Watches

First off, congratulations on your purchase! I love hearing about others in this hobby and their journey and yours is no different. A few years ago a friend of mine let me wear his submariner and it changed my perspective on watch size and ultimately ended up picking up a Rolex for myself. Even with it being the maxi case variant, it just sat and wore extremely well on my wrist.

Having said that, some of the watches I had purchased previously no longer wore as nicely (or got any wrist time) as I once thought. I did end up having to sell some watches, but I have a hoarders mentality somewhat and can’t give up the rest lol.

Congrats! The sub does look perfect on you. Similar wrist size here at 7 inches. 38-40mm is the sweet spot for me.
    C

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate, so we can buy [email protected]# we don't need" - Tyler Durden

"I have beaters for my beaters" -Me

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jinusuh View Post
    First off, congratulations on your purchase! I love hearing about others in this hobby and their journey and yours is no different. A few years ago a friend of mine let me wear his submariner and it changed my perspective on watch size and ultimately ended up picking up a Rolex for myself. Even with it being the maxi case variant, it just sat and wore extremely well on my wrist.

Having said that, some of the watches I had purchased previously no longer wore as nicely (or got any wrist time) as I once thought. I did end up having to sell some watches, but I have a hoarders mentality somewhat and can’t give up the rest lol.
    Yea, it can be hard parting with things. I wonder if the Tudor will also appreciate the way Rolex's have, so maybe holding on to it for a while might be a smart idea.
    jinusuh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post
    Congrats! The sub does look perfect on you. Similar wrist size here at 7 inches. 38-40mm is the sweet spot for me.
    So what do you think the 36mm DJ is too small?
    Last edited by jacobs531; August 8th, 2019 at 22:46.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobs531 View Post
    So what do you think the 36mm DJ is too small?

Absolutely not. I have a lot of 36mm watches. I prefer my dressier pieces to be that size. Ive seen a lot of datejusts and I think they are fantastic. For an everyday wear, for me, I prefer 38mm and 12mm or less in thickness. I’m basing that off of the Sinn 556 which fits me absolutely perfect. I also go larger if it’s thin and light such as with my titanium aerospaces.
    C

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate, so we can buy [email protected]# we don't need" - Tyler Durden

"I have beaters for my beaters" -Me

It’s funny; in my forties I was 6’1 and a fit 210. Now in my fifties, I’m a hair over 6’ and about a-buck-eighty-five when my belly is full. Still think of myself as intimidating as hell, but photos pretty much debunk the fantasy. My wrist has also lost some of its “presence”....down about 1/4 inch and hovering at 7”. Guess I’m on the slippery side of the mountain now, slowly morphing into my dad. I still prefer a 42mm diver, but part of that is because my eyes apparently didn’t want to watch my body transition to old age....so they decided to make the picture a wee-bit blurry.

Sorry, I’m rambling. Congrats on the Sub and your “discovery”. Great collection, enjoy!

It's interesting that many of us tend towards that direction. I almost considered picking up a datejust 36 for my most recent purchase after having sold a datejust II, which is 41 millimeters, only a few months ago. I had to look at my wrist with a different set of eyes and not be closed off to the fact that 36 might actually look good.

I find myself not liking anything much over 43, even though I have a 7 and 1/2 inch wrist with a pretty monstrous forearm to handle it.

I agree with your assessment and Rolex looks excellent!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Glashütte Senator Sixties Panodate Green
    Rolex Milgauss Z Blue
    Triton Subphotique blue
    Sinn U1 T
    Casio G-Shock full metal steel

I've been gravitating to smaller watches...especially vintage pieces...I feel like 40mm is my max now. Take a good look at an Explorer also...I have a 39mm homage that looks perfect on my wrist.

To be honest, because you own the Rolex, I don't see a reason to own the Tudor as well.
    They are both very similar. If you want to talk about downsizing, I'd cull that one too.
    Seulement, il faut du temps pour être heureux. Beaucoup de temps. Le bonheur lui aussi est une longue patience. - Only, it takes time to be happy. A lot of time. Happiness, too, is a long patience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information