New Tissot – crooked/bent crown – advice please?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New Tissot – crooked/bent crown – advice please?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New Tissot – crooked/bent crown – advice please?

Hi all,

I’m hoping to get some advice on a problem I have with a Tissot watch I purchased last week (T099.407.11.048.00). The issue is that the crown (or possibly stem) is set crooked, such that when you turn the crown to adjust the date or time the crown appears to wobble.

Yesterday I returned the watch to the store for a replacement and was treated very poorly. Basically they are denying that this is a fault. One manager even denied seeing anything wrong altogether. They showed me another Tissot watch that had the same problem but it wasn’t as bad as mine. I then looked at all their Tissot watch crowns and the majority were all fine (a couple had the same problem but again, they weren’t as bad as mine).

They are telling me now that if I’m unhappy they can send it off to Tissot to inspect under warranty but that it would take a couple months before I get it back! This is completely unacceptable to me.

Could I please get some thoughts on this problem? Whether I’m being unreasonable or otherwise etc? Or what you would do in the same situation? I live in Melbourne Australia if that matters. This is my first expensive watch purchase and I don’t want to have to live with the crown being the way it is. I also don’t think it appropriate it would take a couple of months for them to take a watch I haven’t even had a chance to wear yet. This has really spoiled my enjoyment of the watch.

Thanks in advance for any responses and mods please move this post if it’s not in the correct thread.

Cheers

Re: New Tissot – crooked/bent crown – advice please?

I'm trying to post a google drive link to a recording of the problem but I get an error message saying I need a greater post count! Is there any way around this??

Can mods please advise how many posts I need before I can post links please?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Send it in for service. Maybe it will come back with a diamond dial. :)
    mplsabdullah likes this.
    Breguet Type XX, IWC Aquatimer Chronograph "Jacques Yves Cousteau", IWC Portuguese 7-Day Automatic, JLC Deep Sea Cermet, JLC Tribute to Polaris 1965, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Panerai 233 "Dot", Panerai 439 Oro Rosso, Patek Philippe 5130 World Time, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Seadweller, Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph, Vacheron Constantin Overseas World Time. Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Traditionnelle Chronograph.

IG: bvllitt

Is that in the winding/date setting position? With the crown pushed all the way in does it sit at a slight angle to the case? That would indicate a bent stem.

The dealer should either exchange the watch for one without the problem or assist you in getting it repaired under warranty.

If it weren’t a new watch under warranty I’d advise taking it to a watch repair shop to have the stem straightened or replaced. It should be an easy fix.

There are some stores i rather miss. I remember going to watch store and overhearing conversation:
    Client: date changes at 6 am is there something wrong with the watch?
    Seller: No, it just wrong position of the hands. We can open watch and fix them for you.
    In most cases if you unhappy within 30 days and watch is new in package or nearly in package it money back. Go to next store!
    Authorized repairs take a lot of time and in case of Tissot not always done as you expect. Get good working watch if you still can.
    It should be special!

Doesn’t look right to me. I’d kick a fuss up about it and ask for something to be done.

Thanks for all the replies. Good to know I'm not crazy to be upset about the crown like the store was making me feel I am!!

In answer to one of the questions, the video shows the crown rotation in the date-setting position. When fully in, the crown does sit at an angle to the case but only very slightly- it's not something I would have probably even noticed to be honest. It's only noticeable when you turn the crown to set the date/time that you can see it have a 'wobble' effect. I certainly would not have purchased the watch if I knew it was like that!

The funny thing is that after I was dismissed by the store manager yesterday, a younger assistant told me to take it to a watch repair kiosk in the mall for a second opinion. Well I followed her advice and the repairer noticed the problem straight away lol. He said it could even be a bent stem and that he would have to open the case to confirm but that doing so would void the warranty. He said that the fault would cause the internal components to wear out faster than they otherwise would, resulting in early failure of the watch.

I was told by the store yesterday that they would get the general manager to call me today as he was supposed to attend that particular store. Of course I didn't hear from them and with 2 hours left till closing I called them to follow up. The rude manager took my call and told me that the general manager didn't end up attending today and she didn't know when he would be in. When I politely asked why no one had called to tell me so, she laughed at me and said that the day isn't over yet (I had arranged my day to be in the vicinity of the store so that I could come in and see the general manager when he called me).

The store manager laughing at me over the phone really was the last straw and I want nothing to do with them now. We have very good consumer protection legislation in Australia and I have already spoken with consumer affairs. I explained the situation to them and I have been advised i have multiple grounds to demand a refund, not just a replacement. All I wanted originally was to get the watch replaced- I received really great service from the assistant who sold me the watch (I hadn't seen her at the store since my purchase). But after the way I have been treated, I have zero trust in them to do the right thing by me and I just want my money back. I have no problem in naming and shaming when all is said and done. I have already called other stores selling the same watch and have a verbal commitment to buy it at the price I paid.

I will post back here when I have an outcome.

Thanks again.
    Rocket1991 and rfortson like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MJAD22 View Post
    We have very good consumer protection legislation in Australia and I have already spoken with consumer affairs. I explained the situation to them and I have been advised i have multiple grounds to demand a refund, not just a replacement. All I wanted originally was to get the watch replaced
    On what grounds ? Playing the devil's advocate for a moment- what is legally wrong with fixing under warranty ?
    As far as I see you don't even have a proper expert opinion in writing, and Tissot were not involved yet

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information