New Tissots -- Authenticity, Grey Market?

Thread: New Tissots -- Authenticity, Grey Market?

New Tissots -- Authenticity, Grey Market?

Hi everyone,

The only "real" watch I have is a Swiss Army quartz chrono, steel band which I bought brand new almost three years ago at a watch shop in Santa Monica, CA.

This is my very post. I've enjoyed watches all my life, but recently became obsessed. It's only recently that I've learned a lot of the basics. I've got a lot of great information reading these forums.

I ended up buying three watches via three different sellers on Amazon. I received them this week, all Tissot automatics: 1) PRS516, black face, brown leather strap 2) PR50, silver face, and 3) PR50, silver face, for my girlfriend.

I LOVE THESE THINGS!

However, on the both PR50 watches, the Tissot story book that came packaged with the watches are written in languages other than English, one is in Spanish, while the other is Russian. Only the PRS-516 watch came with a story book that came in English.

Does anyone here know whether I may have gotten a gray market watch? Or perhaps even in a counterfeit? I'm dying to know. Perhaps I shouldn't buy online via Amazon in the future?

Re: New Tissots -- Authenticity, Grey Market?

I would have to ask first and foremost, how much did you pay? If it was more than 15% below retail, then you probably got "gray market" products. Companies like Tissot, Rolex, Omega, etc. have limits on how much can be marked down on the prices of their watches. If ADs go below that price, they risk losing their status as an AD.

It sounds like you got watches that were meant for sale in other countries, not the USA or GB. They are probably authentic, but would not be recognized by Tissot for service or warranty.

I hope this helped.

stuffler,mike

Welcome to WUS and welcome to the Public Forum.

Impossible to answer without knowing the dealers, without pics, without copies of the papers......without.....without.... Everything is possible....but indeed you may have got grey market goods. What about the warranty, are the guarantee papers are filled in properly ?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looks like you're right. Authentic, but these are in fact gray market. The serial numbers are still on the casebacks.

The price was about 35-40% below retail.

I got very nice prices, but obviously unwittingly bought gray market. You live and learn I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by pjemmert View Post
    I would have to ask first and foremost, how much did you pay? If it was more than 15% below retail, then you probably got "gray market" products. Companies like Tissot, Rolex, Omega, etc. have limits on how much can be marked down on the prices of their watches. If ADs go below that price, they risk losing their status as an AD.

It sounds like you got watches that were meant for sale in other countries, not the USA or GB. They are probably authentic, but would not be recognized by Tissot for service or warranty.

I hope this helped.

Yes, inded gray market items I've now found; guarantee papers did not come with the items. However, each seller provided their own 2 year warranties -- for whatever those are worth.

Attached are some pictures I finally took this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Welcome to WUS and welcome to the Public Forum.

Impossible to answer without knowing the dealers, without pics, without copies of the papers......without.....without.... Everything is possible....but indeed you may have got grey market goods. What about the warranty, are the guarantee papers are filled in properly ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by spclagent7 View Post
    Looks like you're right. Authentic, but these are in fact gray market. The serial numbers are still on the casebacks.

The price was about 35-40% below retail.

I got very nice prices, but obviously unwittingly bought gray market. You live and learn I guess.
    No sweat!
    You did great on the prices
    Enjoy the watches AND the savings!
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Thread Information