New Users answering to WTB
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: New Users answering to WTB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Users answering to WTB

I presume the advice when brand new users with 0 posts reply to your WTB thread is to ignore or am I being too presumptuous??

Re: New Users answering to WTB

It all depends man. I recently dealt with someone that saw my watch on watch recon, so had to create an account to get in touch with me. We eventually settled with a bank transfer, so there was no risk on my end. Just tread carefully, like with anything potentially sketchy in life.
    ssada416 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_sneeze View Post
    I presume the advice when brand new users with 0 posts reply to your WTB thread is to ignore or am I being too presumptuous??
    Well, its possible they saw your post on Watchrecon.com and had to sign up here to contact you. Other than that, I'd be real careful

Sent from my OnePlus One

Incoming= Aevig Huldra V2

Omega Seamaster Pro 300 Ceramic
    Magrette Moana Pacific Diver II
    Helm Vanuatu V4
    Glycine Combat Sub GL0078
    ​Scufra Diver One D1-500
    Seiko SKX009
    ​Seiko SSC021
    Citizen BN0-151 Eco-Drive Diver
    Casio AMW-330
    Vintage Elgin Pocket watch

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

WTB's are attractive to scammers and whilst I wouldn't necessarily ignore a 0 post respondent the risk level is pretty high so you really need to do your homework on the seller to identify them and get references/feedback etc and use a safe payment method if you proceed. I probably wouldn't go to the trouble myself and would be more inclined to wait for an offer from a more established member.

Ard

While I wouldn't instantly doubt the honesty or intentions of a new member with zero posts wanting to deal with me I prefer established folks. My reasoning is quite simple, this is first and foremost a discussion forum and we discuss watches. We share pictures, stories and many other things through our frequent postings here. This is not first and foremost a sales place where we buy and sell. Yes many of us buy and sell here but many of those same members also are active posters.

The life blood of a forum are posts, posts equal content and content keeps people on the site and reading threads. One hit wonders who join to do a deal and never post or those who engage in the old rapid post count business to meat site requirements are not adding to the content here.

I know and understand the value of content because I am the administrator of the largest fly fishing forum in the world. Our content and subsequent readership traffic are what dictate the value we can offer to advertisers. Those advertisers are where the cash that keeps us running comes from so it's all about content.

Personally I would avoid doing business with someone who only joined to make some sort of deal.

Ard

PS. This thread needs content

Ball Trainmaster moon phase, I just changed that to a black crocodile strap and it is even better today!
    Last edited by Ard; July 21st, 2016 at 02:19.
    PowerChucker and noregrets like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    WTB's are attractive to scammers and whilst I wouldn't necessarily ignore a 0 post respondent the risk level is pretty high so you really need to do your homework on the seller to identify them and get references/feedback etc and use a safe payment method if you proceed. I probably wouldn't go to the trouble myself and would be more inclined to wait for an offer from a more established member.
    It sucks that it has to be like this, but that's the reality. There have been plenty of cool watches I wanted to buy, that I saw on various forums via watchrecon, but I didn't even bother contacting the user because I would have been a 0 post user asking to buy, and I know I would have been either ignored or " guilty until proven innocent ". And with me having hardly any references would have just been an uphill battle. That's why I only do deals here with members, and believe it or not I trade on Reddit r/watchexchange
    I made a reddit trade just today, and a trade here today, both were equally easy. Thankfully. I'm more cautious trading on Reddit though.

Sent from my OnePlus One

Helm Vanuatu V4
    ​Scufra Diver One D1-500
    Seiko SKX009
    ​Seiko SSC021
    Casio AMW-330

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    While I wouldn't instantly doubt the honesty or intentions of a new member with zero posts wanting to deal with me I prefer established folks. My reasoning is quite simple, this is first and foremost a discussion forum and we discuss watches. We share pictures, stories and many other things through our frequent postings here. This is not first and foremost a sales place where we buy and sell. Yes many of us buy and sell here but many of those same members also are active posters.

The life blood of a forum are posts, posts equal content and content keeps people on the site and reading threads. One hit wonders who join to do a deal and never post or those who engage in the old rapid post count business to meat site requirements are not adding to the content here.

I know and understand the value of content because I am the administrator of the largest fly fishing forum in the world. Our content and subsequent readership traffic are what dictate the value we can offer to advertisers. Those advertisers are where the cash that keeps us running comes from so it's all about content.

Personally I would avoid doing business with someone who only joined to make some sort of deal.

Ard

PS. This thread needs content

Ball Trainmaster moon phase, I just changed that to a black crocodile strap and it is even better today!
    Well said Ard!

Sent from my OnePlus One

Helm Vanuatu V4
    ​Scufra Diver One D1-500
    Seiko SKX009
    ​Seiko SSC021
    Casio AMW-330

My first and only three sales were all to new members and I didn't have any issue. It could go the other way but with the number of things on social media these days it's pretty easy to tell if someone is at least who they say they are and while people might not like the court of WIS opinion you can sure get a lot of judge and jury in the face book world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am an old user but it seems the sales forum rules changed and I am no longer allowed to sell things without 100 posts. So here I am these days.

I think WTB is more sketchy than WTS for new users. With a sale you can have them bank transfer the money and it is there. When you are buying and somebody is new there is no way to verify that they have the watch or are even a real person. I would be concerned unless you could somehow hold the money in Escrow.
    Trying to keep the west wild.

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

Assuming that you are BUYING a watch (answering your WTB ad).

Verify the seller has a watch to sell, ask for custom pictures set the watch to certain date/time would do it along with picture of today's local newspaper on the background.
    (WORST kind of crooks are the kinds that actually HAVE the watch with no intention of sending it to you since they can show you movement shots, or any shots you want!!).
    Use your CC through paypal.
    Once watch arrives, do compare the watch CLOSELY to the pictures that you were sent to validate the watch indeed is the one in the picture.
    Verify through any means (if the watch has display back, much easier) authenticity of the watch and send serial # to the watch manufacturer to confirm the watch is not reported stolen.
    Once all verified, enjoy and post the picture of the watch and do post positive feedback for the guy so that he will have easier time selling on the forum going forward.

Good luck!!!
    Chronic flipper...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information