New to vintage watch collecting, looking to make the right first purchase.

Thread: New to vintage watch collecting, looking to make the right first purchase.

New to vintage watch collecting, looking to make the right first purchase.

I have recently decided that I would like to start collecting vintage watches. When I was searching eBay, a Girard-Perregaux "Sea Hawk" caught my eye: Minty Gorgeous Vige Girard Perregaux Sea Hawk Mens World War 2 Wristwatch 1945 | eBay

I really like the look of the watch, but I am not certain if it is a refinished dial (I understand that this is bad) or too high a price.

I've been mainly searching on the vintage Bulova's, since they seem to be plentiful and a lot of them have nice "art-deco" designs, so I am not as familiar with Girard-Perregaux.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: New to vintage watch collecting, looking to make the right first purchase.

A refinished dial isn't necessarily bad if it's done correctly, and you don't care about collector value.

I'm no expert on vintage GPs, but the dial does look very clean (redialed?). It's the lume that's puzzling. It looks sloppy, but I can't tell it that's because it's original, or if it's been poorly redone. Try posting in the vintage forum. They know more.

And just as an FYI, there are tons of redialed GPs on eBay. Tons.
    Last edited by ImitationOfLife; November 1st, 2013 at 21:31.

You might consider posting this on the "Vintage & Pocket Watch" sub forum on this site for more responses as it pertains to vintage watches.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ImitationOfLife View Post
    A refinished dial isn't necessarily bad if it's done correctly, and you don't care about collector value.

I'm no expert on vintage GPs, but the dial does look very clean (redialed?). It's the lume that's puzzling. It looks sloppy, but I can't tell it that's because it's original, or if it's been poorly redone. Try posting in the vintage forum. They know more.

And just as an FYI, there are tons of redialed GPs on eBay. Tons.
    I did notice the "sloppiness " and that's what gave me pause, especially given the current bid. I've gone back and forth with refinished dials...I intend to wear some or most of the watches I eventually purchase so having it look nice would be great....but having a 100% original piece is also important.

I will re-post in the Vintage forum. Thanks.

Thread Information