New to watch collecting, need advice.
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New to watch collecting, need advice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hi everyone, i am relativly new to watch collecting, as of right now i have 4 Nixon watches (the player all black, the unit all black, the corporal ss all gold and 51-30 Tide silver/grey) its not much but i gotta start somewhere 😀, so from what i've seen here theres not much love for Nixon, i dont know much about the specs of watches i have chosen Nixon because it suits my lifestyle the best. I would like to expend my collection a little bit further and i am open to try some other brands as well, my budget is up to 300$ what would u suggest i should buy? Any advice on what i should pay attantion when buying a new watch?
    Cheers to everybody 🍻
    Last edited by PearlJam; July 30th, 2014 at 03:42.

Re: New to watch collecting, need advice.

Quote Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
    Hi everyone, i am relativly new to watch collecting, as of right now i have 4 Nixon watches (the player all black, the unit all black, the corporal ss all gold and 51-30 Tide silver/grey) its not much but i gotta start somewhere , so from what i've seen here theres not much love for Nixon, i dont know much about the specs of watches i have chosen Nixon because it suits my lifestyle the best. I would like to expend my collection a little bit further and i am open to try some other brands as well, my budget is up to 300$ what would u suggest i should buy? Any advice on what i should pay attantion when buying a new watch?
    Cheers to everybody 
    Sorry, I can't help you but saw your username & had to say hello! Welcome to the forum!
    Adnan

Current 'pieces:

Rolex GMT II BLNR

Zenith Defy
    Omega SMP 2254.50
    Seiko SAGN007
    Ulysse Nardin Classico
    Hermes Slim d'Hermes

Gone:
    Audemars Piguet 15300
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas
    Jaeger LeCoultre Tribute to Deep Sea vintage chronograph
    Rolex DateJust41 126300

Rolex Daytona 116500

JeanRichard Terrascope
    IWC 3239 Laureus

Rolex Explorer II 216570
    Speedmaster Co-Axial 9300
    Omega Aqua Terra 2503.33
    Omega Aqua Terra 2502.80
    Omega SM300
    Speedy Pro 3572.50 w/ a Panda dial (three times)
    Speedy Pro 3570.50 (several times)

Oris 65

Thx mate

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to WUS!

Well now, what kind of style of watch do you like? Dressy? Diver? Pilot?
    I'm going to pretend you said 'my budget is up to $400' and in that case there's quite a few options. For that price, you should be able to get a sapphire crystal, hand-winding and hacking automatic movement and a decent bracelet.....Hmmmmmm....Seiko SARB035?

Name:  912297d1356201121-affordable-simple-automatic-0-ideas-sarb035.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  106.4 KB

There's plenty of other options and styles form lots of brands. Find us a few styles of watches that you like and we'll be of more help.

Look at Reactor watches. Good specs for the money. Bold designs like Nixon. Try a google search for "Reactor men's watches" and you will get an idea.

Citizen has a few bold ones. They are rock solid but not as far out there.
    Last edited by Gary123; July 30th, 2014 at 04:18.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

Welcome! You'll find there are tons to choose from in the under $300 range of watches. Expect your tastes to change over time spent on this forum. I mean, "It's evolution, baby."

I think the first thing you need to decide, is do you care what's inside the watch? Or are you buying it on external looks alone? (Do you care to learn about mechanical movements? Do you care about the accuracy of the watch? etc.)

Then you need to figure out does the level of quality of the inside or outside matter? Or are you buying it on looks alone? (Do you care what metal the case is made of? Do different lug types and crystal types matter to you? etc.)

If the insides and quality matter, you'll probably sync up with most folks here and get a lot of good recommendations. If you're only looking to collect based on looks, things will be different and advice to suit you may be harder to come by.

The reason you'll find Nixon is little loved around here is because they sell primarily based mainly on looks and the fact that they're trendy and "in" right now, a little on quality, and basically not at all on the insides (standard cheap quartz movements).
    Last edited by dbostedo; July 30th, 2014 at 05:21.
    OvrSteer likes this.
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

Two words: Vintage Seiko.

Look for a guaranteed all original 6139, 6138, or 6309 on ebay.
    Rolex Sea Dweller 16600 T-serial
    Omega Speedmaster Professional Mark II 145.014 Cal.861
    Ball Engineer II Red Label GMT GM2026C
    Seiko 6139-6012 1975
    Hamilton Khaki Pilot Day Date Auto
    Invicta 8926ob
    Tag Heuer Professional 200m

I'd certainly also consider popping over to the Affordables forum. There are so many options, you're probably going to be lost for a while trying to figure them out.

To start, I'd try filtering based on size. Presumably you like the bold designs, but get a wrist measurement and figure out what watches you have now that you're comfortable with, which might be too big, and which might be too small. That should give you a size range to work with.

Then start thinking about features and what you might wear them with.

As stated, Nixon is a fashion brand that makes *good* watches, but watches that focus on looks more than function. Reactor's been noted, but check out Android (bold but with very solid components), Vestal or Fossil (similar to Nixon but both more cost-effective) or Vostok Europe (big, bold and more premium) and be aware that there are several boutique brands like Obris Morgan that might really appeal to you. Heck, even a Russian dive watch or really any chunky diver might appeal to a sense of adventure.

..and then you can get into strap changes and other easy customizations and see how far the rabbit hole goes
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

Exactly Nixon is fashion and represents a certain lifestyle, i've discovered some Electric watches and Ripcurl but dont know if they are worth the money what i also like is the G-Shock Vito.
    Thx guys for your respond 🍻

Electric

Ripcurl

G Shock Vito
    Last edited by PearlJam; August 1st, 2014 at 03:29.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information