New Watch Day - Glycine Airman 18
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New Watch Day - Glycine Airman 18

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Watch Day - Glycine Airman 18

Hey all, I’ve been on the hunt for a 24hr. dial watch under 40mm for a while now. Glycine has been on my radar as well, as a brand with strong history, bust somewhat questionable status currently (Invicta?) In fact I had a Glycine Combat Sub, which I regrettably sold because it was slightly too big for me. It was a fantastic watch.

I just received the Airman 18, and once again I’m very pleasantly surprised by the quality.

The dimensions are perfect. 39mm case, 10.5mm tall and 20mm lug width. For my 6.75 inch wrist, it’s like it was custom made for me.

The MSRP on this piece is above $1000 but it can be found online for sub $700.

The specs are impressive for a pilots watch with sapphire front AND back, and 200m water resistance.

200m water resistance is rare enough in anything but a diver, but even more so in a watch with a display case back.

So, what about the feeing of the watch? Just like my Combat Sub, it feels incredibly high quality. First impressions mean a lot. And when I first started to unscrew the crown to set the time, I was so impressed. The crown action is incredibly smooth. Much better feeling then other, more expensive watches I’ve owned. You don’t feel the threads at all. No cross threading, it catches perfectly every time. Winding the movement feels equally impressive.

The case finishing is very impressive as well. Polished on the sides, brushed on top. The line between where the polished meets the brushed is perfect.

The rounded sides of the case create a very aviation oriented aesthetic.

The lug holes are close to the case, allowing just enough room for a nato strap to pass through. I thought this odd at first, but quickly came to realize that the effect this has, is pulling straps close to the case, creating a seamless transition between case and strap for a cohesive look no matter what strap is on it. And it works well on SO many straps.

This is my second Glycine. Both times I’ve questioned making the purchase because of the new affiliation with Invicta and the reputation that brings. But both times I have been over-the-top impressed with the watches, the look, build quality and overall feel.

I’m glad to see a company with such a rich history still has some fire left in them, to produce top quality watches for those of us who appreciate great craftsmanship and value.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: New Watch Day - Glycine Airman 18

If you're happy than I say congrats! The main thing wrong with Invicta are the owners that think they're on par with other quality watches
    I have a problem with changing my mind faster than I can change my watch collection

Great looking watch and write up. I keep thinking of one of these but I don't need another watch.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Love it! Wear in good health. If i were to get a 24 hr watch this would be the one.

Very nice! I've been nothing but happy with my Glycine as well and would not hesitate to buy another

Sent courtesy of Delos, Inc

Moderator Public Forum soaking.fused's Avatar

Thanks for sharing pics and your impressions.

Congrats on your new acquisition.

Quote Originally Posted by rfortson View Post
    Great looking watch and write up.
    I concur.

Are they fully owned by Invicta now ?

I have mine for a week now. The curved lugs and the round case side let the straps sit very close to to the case and provide a good fit for single piece straps like Natos.

ETA 2893-2 clone in there (Sellita SW-30X); very high quality and accuracy. If I didn't already have the SST-12 (which I bought years ago for $1000), I'd be buying an Airman from Joma at $700 today.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with the classic Glycine designs despite the new owners. Did anybody get all bent out of shape about the Jeep Wrangler when Fiat bought them?
    rfortson likes this.
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Not Seiko: Parmigiania Tonda 1950, Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, IWC Cal. 89 (c. 1957), Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), Scurfa Diver One, G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7069 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), 5740-8000 Lord Marvel 36'000 (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), King Quartz 5855-5000 (1977), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984), SKX399K "Philippines"

Quote Originally Posted by MediumRB View Post
    ETA 2893-2 clone in there (Sellita SW-30X); very high quality and accuracy. If I didn't already have the SST-12 (which I bought years ago for $1000), I'd be buying an Airman from Joma at $700 today.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with the classic Glycine designs despite the new owners. Did anybody get all bent out of shape about the Jeep Wrangler when Fiat bought them?
    Agreed. I’ve seen so many posts online from people who loved Glycine but won’t buy another because of the Invicta thing. Like you said, did people stop buying Mercedes when they merged with Chrysler?
    rfortson likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information