New Watch with Dry Oils?

Thread: New Watch with Dry Oils?

New Watch with Dry Oils?

Hello,

I had to send a watch in for warranty repair that the technician told me had dry oils and required an overhaul. Are the oils drying out a common problem for watches? Obviously they do dry out and need service but I purchased this watch "new" about 5 months ago from a reputable dealer. I'd like to avoid this becoming a reoccuring problem.

What would cause the oils in a movement to dry out so quickly?

Re: New Watch with Dry Oils?

Is it possible that this model of watch is a few years old. "New" can be a fluid term. I bought a watch, second hand, in 2011. The watch was made in 2002 but still had more than a year left on the warranty. I dropped the manufacturer a line and got a COA on it under warranty.

I've worried about that with new watches. I always wonder how long they've been sitting around unwound and whether or not I should service them sooner, especially since I've never bought a new watch that was new (in the model cycle).
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

NOS(New Old Stock)..It can happen.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Quote Originally Posted by cats33cats View Post
    Hello,

I had to send a watch in for warranty repair that the technician told me had dry oils and required an overhaul. Are the oils drying out a common problem for watches? Obviously they do dry out and need service but I purchased this watch "new" about 5 months ago from a reputable dealer. I'd like to avoid this becoming a reoccuring problem.

What would cause the oils in a movement to dry out so quickly?
    A local watch maker I know has a contract with the importer of F***** to clean the escapement of every watch that comes in. The reason is that many of the movements have been in storage for so long before actually being made into watches that the oil has dried up. There are quite a few second rate Swiss watch manufacturing companies out there who do this. ETA forces them to make minimum purchases (quantities) of movements to get their best price, and the watch companies do not sell enough volume to use the movements up quickly. So they sit in storage until it's time to assemble a watch for sale. End result, dried up movements. Look on the Internet before you buy a watch. See which ones have had a lot of complaints in the past and present. The culture of a company does not change, and no matter what the propaganda machine says, if they had a reputation for low quality in the past, they have not improved. I could supply a list of watches to avoid, but just look on the Internet to see which brands have had the most complaints against them

I think you received a new watch that sat around for a long time.

It does indeed sound like your new watch, or its movement, has spent a lot of time in storage.

Thread Information