New Watch Help!
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New Watch Help!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Watch Help!

Hey guys, I've been lurking on the forums for quite a while and I've decided that it's finally time for me to buy my first nice mechanical watch. I really like dive watches because of their durability and their ability to go from the office to the beach. I'm looking for something rugged enough for daily use but elegant enough for the office. I prefer a stainless steel bracelet that I can potentially swap out later. I've been looking at the Longines Hydroconquest Automatic in black my budget is about $1500 or less. All suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: New Watch Help!

Also I would like to try on the watch before purchasing so any suggestions for good shops in the Houston area would be appreciated!

Hi, where in Houston are you? There are literally dozens (or more) shops where you can try on a wide variety of watches.

The Longines is a nice choice and would be one I'd recommend. I'd also look at Tissot, Mido, Rado, Citizen Grand Signature, Seiko Sumo (Seiko and Citizen would save you money).

The Jared's in Clearlake has Longines and Tissot, along with Hamilton (and TAG and Omega, but out of your price range). The Galleria has lots of watch stores, and you should be able to find most Swiss/German watches. Macy's carries the Citizen Grand Signature. Seiko Sumo you'd just have to buy sight unseen. I don't know of any place that has them locally.

I'm sure you'll get lots of other suggestions.

BTW, since you're in Houston, come join the get together (GTG) on Dec 5. There's a thread here in the Public Forum and in the Dive Watch Forum about it. Great time to meet fellow watch geeks and maybe win a prize.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I was really leaning towards the Hydroconquest or the Tissot Visodate that is on the shark mesh bracelet. Do you know of any place I can try on a sinn watch? I'm really liking some the 556

Quote Originally Posted by akayzer View Post
    I was really leaning towards the Hydroconquest or the Tissot Visodate that is on the shark mesh bracelet. Do you know of any place I can try on a sinn watch? I'm really liking some the 556

I think it will be hard to find a Sinn in a store. I think there's only one US distributor.

The Visodate is a great watch and one I'd like to have. I haven't seen it locally on mesh, but I'm sure an AD could get one for you to try. Jared's ordered a Tissot Heritage Navigator for me to try (I had to give them a refundable deposit). They've also brought other watches in for me without deposit.

BTW, people often disparage Jared's and to be honest, they are related to Kay Jewelers, a (gasp!) mall jeweler. But my local store has a good watch selection (they are still an AD for Omega, though that's not always the case nationwide) and they often give me a decent discount. Not always, but enough that I still go back there.
    Last edited by rfortson; October 15th, 2015 at 17:06.

This is the Jared's in the Clearlake area?

I think Sinn is a good option for that type of versatility and price range you are looking for. Not sure where you can try one on though...
    rfortson likes this.
    Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39
    Bernhardt
    Globemaster II GMT
    Tissot
    Le Locle
    Roamer Stingray III
    Accutron
    Gemini Chronograph
    Bernhardt Officer's Watch
    Orient Sun & Moon II

Quote Originally Posted by akayzer View Post
    This is the Jared's in the Clearlake area?

Yes

The Hydroconquest is a great option for dress-casual office wear. The brands Rforston mentioned are all worth looking it.

It's probably best to take a few hours going round the local ADs to try as much as you can on and get a feel for what style and size of watch you like.

Sinn make a very good watch for the money and the 556 is going to be a great choice for your budget and usage - it's a 39mm (or38.5mm?) watch though so that's worth bearing in mind if you plan to buy without being able to try one on.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

I prefer watches that are on the smaller end. I would most likely only go up to a 42mm max. How's the quality of the Sinn 556?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information