New Watch Purchase: Okay brand, but more complications vs Top-notch brand, no complications
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New Watch Purchase: Okay brand, but more complications vs Top-notch brand, no complications

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Watch Purchase: Okay brand, but more complications vs Top-notch brand, no complications

I've been meaning to buy a new watch for quite sometime now, but cannot quite seem to make up my mind. The main conundrum that I face is, given my fixed budget, to decide between a brand that is so-so regarded (for example Baume et Mercier, Maurice Lacroix, Bedat & Co. etc) but offers many complications (chronograph, annual calendar, jumping hour) versus a top-notch brand (JLC, Nomos, Zenith) that only offers the basic time/date (JLC Reverso, Zenith Elite, Nomos Tangente) complications with in-house movements. I understand this is a matter of personal opinion, but do you guys have any tips that would help me make a decision? I would also love to know your opinion, just to get a general feel of what people think. And if you somehow have a miraculous solution that would totally solve the problem, I would love to hear about that too

Banned

Re: New Watch Purchase: Okay brand, but more complications vs Top-notch brand, no complications

Those top notch brands may just be similarly priced in the street to the lower end brands you mentioned. What's your budget?

Re: New Watch Purchase: Okay brand, but more complications vs Top-notch brand, no complications

Buy whichever one induces the most drool.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    Buy whichever one induces the most drool.
    Always good advice.

I'd also suggest factoring in future servicing costs vs. likely use of complications.

Generally speaking, the more complications the higher the servicing cost and number of parts that may need replacing. This can be especially annoying if you don't really use those complications in the first place.
    Paulo 8135 and IWCOwner like this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Based in South east asia, travelling between

I would go for what is most pleasing. The brand doesnt really matter in this modern day watches.
    W.A.S. Watch Acquisition Syndrome Patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Veda View Post
    Those top notch brands may just be similarly priced in the street to the lower end brands you mentioned. What's your budget?
    this is actually very true. the Capeland Flyback on the grey market will cost more than any Zenith Elite or Nomos Tangente, and Maurice Lacroix actually has some pretty high end pieces. There is actually a fair deal of brand overlap for all the different segments. Even Tag has watches from 800 to 50000. For me, it really depends on what complication I'll be getting. If it is an Orbital Tourbillon or Minute Repeater on a Hamilton, I will gladly pay Zenith mid range prices :)
    :)

14060m, 16200, Pam48, AT8500, El Primero 1969, Speedy FOIS, Antea KS, Orion Minimatik, ST8000SA Tourbillon, Zeppelin 7618-1

want: ALS Saxonia, PP Nautilus,

One of the best bang for buck watches is the not so humble Seiko 5. I have one that gets more wrist time than my other 'expensive' watches. I don't know why, it just makes me smile. So, that's the key.

You seem to have a pretty good idea of where to spend your hard earned cash, so forget what's 'so-so regarded' or not. You don't need all that baggage when watch shopping. You're almost guaranteed to have buyer's remorse. Take your time (pun intended). Sooner or later, something will jump out of your monitor/shop window and grab you by the throat. That's the one to buy.

You can always get an Orient with complication + highend with no complication.

How did you come up with, "so-so regarded"?
    rfortson likes this.

Depends on the brand and complication. Maurice Lacroix has a Masterpiece chronograph, a great looking modern chrono with a superb manual wind movement. It kisses 10k USD price point on a good day, but tons of value. The square wheel pieces are interesting too and the entry level stuff is sharp looking. I'd probably draw the line at the square wheel pieces though - lower end than that I'd look for a simple watch from JLC or Zenith. Love the Zenith Espada, for instance.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information