Newbie - advice on Tourby watch please
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Newbie - advice on Tourby watch please

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newbie - advice on Tourby watch please

Morning all - firstly many thanks for all the advice members have posted My forever watch would be a Brequet Classigue with guilloche dial but my bank balance says that will never happen so I've recently been looking at Tourby Roman 40 with guilloche dial. I would prefer a CNC milled dial rather than a stamped dial so sub $2K would you recommend any other manufacturers? I did look at Ophion but don't want to stretch that far (unless I have to). Basically I like quality but don't have the deep pockets! Pre-owned would be seriously considered. Once again thanks

Re: Newbie - advice on Tourby watch please

I think that's a great choice for that style. I didn't realize they could get a Unitas 6497/8 into a 40mm case. 40 is my favorite size-- sport or semi-dress. ML used to make a couple models that used the Unitas, but they were 42-ish, and Wilson Watch Works did something similar to the Tourby, but it was 42.
    Suds likes this.

Haven't seen Tourby in the flesh yet and I can't seem to find any used examples on sale - realise they are a relatively small producer but still seems the Romans are keepers (unless this model is a very recent variation?)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't know Tourby well -- particularly whether they hold value if you want to sell it down the road. It is very pretty, but not particularly cheap for a Unitas movement. Have you looked at the Frederique Constant Classics Manufacture -- not much more for a manufacture movement ....
    Suds likes this.

I've been lusting after the Tourby Old Military Vintage 43 myself. It's similar in style to the Zenith Pilot which cost at least 5 times as much. I've never actually held or seen one in person, but they do look like quality pieces in the pics.
    Suds likes this.

Banned

I haven't come across the tourby in flesh I think the sales isn't in circulation or probably there are some keepers somewhere but from reviews, seems like a good one to look out for.
    Suds likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by brianboisseree View Post
    I don't know Tourby well -- particularly whether they hold value if you want to sell it down the road. It is very pretty, but not particularly cheap for a Unitas movement. Have you looked at the Frederique Constant Classics Manufacture -- not much more for a manufacture movement ....
    Thank you - yes, it was this manufacturer which set me searching for variations available - I assumed/hoped the Tourby is a higher quality overall for the price? The watch would be a keeper in any event

I think Tourby makes great watches and something a bit more "special" if you will than FC. I don't want to go really bashing here, but I would not get another FC.
    Suds likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by briang583 View Post
    I think Tourby makes great watches and something a bit more "special" if you will than FC. I don't want to go really bashing here, but I would not get another FC.
    To be honest I know my budget isn't going to deliver the earth so I am drawn, rightly or wrongly, to a brand which isn't seen everyday- even though no one else will notice the watch, it would satisfy me personally I guess

Well you should most certainly buy what you will be satisfied with. I hope you find the right one for you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information