Newbie looking for reccomendation.

Thread: Newbie looking for reccomendation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newbie looking for reccomendation.

Hi, I'm burf151 and I need a new watch. My Luminox stainless Navy Seal just croaked and I need a replacement. The Luminox was almost my perfect watch, but I am not crazy about the marketing of it. I didn't like the Navy Seal marking on the dial, or the logo on the case back. I am not a Seal, and I don't want to cheapen what those guys do.

So I have decided to get something else rather than pay to have it fixed. I have always been fascinated by watches, but I don't have an enthusiasts knowledge. So I will lay out some citeria, and you all can tell me about your favorites.

Here goes! Ruggedness and reliability are the key goals. I tend to only own one working watch at a time, and wear it everywhere. I really want an automatic this time, but will look at quartz in the right watch. Size and weight of the Luminox is good. A little bigger is OK, but no smaller or lighter. I want a screw down crown and case back. Tritium illumination is a big plus but not a must. I prefer a simple dial with date, nothing else. I would prefer a glass (not plastic) crystal. Price around $500.00.

I have looked at some old standbys like the orange monster etc., but would like something a little more unique. Gotta have character! I LOVE the Marathon G-SAR, but they are hard to find and a little spendy for me at the moment. Real military watches from around the globe are ok, but Navy Seals, Swat, Special Ops etc. on the dial is a deal breaker. The russian watches also are fascinating to me, but I know nothing about them yet.

So, I will defer to your vast knowledge, and don't be afraid to tell me that I am being unrealistic. I am very flexible at this point. I appreciate any suggestions you might have very much. I am now going to peruse the forums and try to educate myself. Should I shred my credit cards first? :thanks:thanks:thanks

Re: Newbie looking for reccomendation.

Seiko Sumo..

If you love the G-SAR get the GSAR, the price is not much more than your budget, check out broadarrow.net. For the money that is one of the best values in the watch world.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yeah my first thought is GSAR. It is worth the asking price, and make sure to get he stock bracelet, which completes the package.
    Lots of dive watches.

At the risk of sounding like a shill (I keep finding myself reccommending this same thing...) you might want to check out the stuff from The Watchdude over at MWR. This watch, for instance, seems like it meets a lot of your qualifications. This one looks more like the GSAR, but it's a bit beefier. Both of those posts are old and the prices are outdated, but if you contact him he'll whip up a custom one for you. Both are also available in non-PVD: ruhla and diver (that last post is for quartz but it comes in auto).

Compared to the Sumo, these watches have some advantages and some disadvantages.

Lume: Tritium glows through the night, though the Sumo will glow brighter initially. See this thread for a reasonably appropriate comparison.

Fit and Finish: Everyone raves about the feel of the Sumo. By contrast, some people report play in the bezels of the Watchdude models, which have the same cases as the very affordable watches from ebay seller watchesu571.

Movement: A lot of people like the 6r15 movement in the Sumo. Some report that it runs within COSC specs out of the box, and since it is said to be based on the 7s26 it's thought that it will be very reliable and low-maintenance. Similarly, the ETA 2824 that the Watchdude uses has a great reputation. It is well proven and used in many many watches, some of them quite expensive. Both hack and hand wind, but the 2824 should have a smoother-sweeping second hand due to the higher beat rate.

Bracelet: If you're into bracelets, the Sumo is available on a great bracelet. I'm not sure if you can easily find a bracelet to fit the Watchdude models. If you're not a bracelet guy, both could obviously be outfitted with any manner of straps.

Warrantee: Seiko's warranty is said to be reliable, though if you don't buy through an authorized dealer I'm not sure you can take advantage of it. I don't know if the Watchdude gives any warranty or has the capability to make repairs.

I highly recommend a Seiko Diver. The Sumo and Samurai are both great.

Marathon. Enough said.

Forgot to say.... WELCOME! Please post some pics when you get your watch!

Get a JSAR, it's quartz, is bigger, it's good-looking, it has 200m WR and it's a Marathon, but cheaper than the other SARs.

Nurse
    : Is something wrong doctor?
    Hawkeye
    : I think I just found my wristwatch, either that or he's giving birth to an alarm clock!

M*A*S*H (Yankee Doodle Doctor, 1970 Season 1)

If you are interested in Ruskie watches, get an Amphibia!

Nurse
    : Is something wrong doctor?
    Hawkeye
    : I think I just found my wristwatch, either that or he's giving birth to an alarm clock!

M*A*S*H (Yankee Doodle Doctor, 1970 Season 1)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information