Newbie in need of a watchamker (North Delaware/Philadelphia area)

Thread: Newbie in need of a watchamker (North Delaware/Philadelphia area)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Newbie in need of a watchamker (North Delaware/Philadelphia area)

I've only been collecting watches for a little over two years now & have had a terrible time finding a good watchmaker in my area. I have mostly late 50's through early 70's manual wind, standard watches; a few automatics. I just want a good trustworthy guy who knows what he's doing- is that too much to ask? Thus far I've had a watch come back from a service with a loose stem & another watch with a slipping crown- and these were both fine when I sent them out, only overdue for service. Now I have a problem with one of my old Hamiltons & I really don't want it going to a butcher.
    I live in Northern Delaware about 35 minutes South of Philadelphia & 50 minutes North of Baltimore. Does anyone know of a good watchmaker in the area that they have personal experience with?
    Any help is much appreciated-
    Fissel

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

Re: Newbie in need of a watchamker (North Delaware/Philadelphia area)

Which places HAVE you tried?

I had one work done from Whittle's watch works in mainline and he seems to know what he is talking about.

I believe another member had someone in center city jeweller's row (I believe he posted pictures of work being done as well...) I will have to do search to find it though.

Govberg has watch repair shop in house as well though I never tried them.
    Last edited by hpark21; December 10th, 2011 at 17:42.
    Chronic flipper...

The Watchmaker on Kirkwood Highway in Wilmington. Always happy with the service, though it's a small place and service typically takes a few weeks. I've also used Govberg in Bala Cynwyd, also good.
    Divers: Tudor Submariner 79190, Oris Aquis 40mm, Cyma Navy Star, Seiko Orange Monster, Bulova Marine Star, Pulsar Diver V736-6A20, Timex Atlantis
    Field & Dress: Timex Easy Reader, Timex Weekender, Timex Expedition, Casio MTP-1183E, Casio Calculator
    Vintage: Bulova 23 Jewels Selfwinding Six Adjustments

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Lantern View Post
    The Watchmaker on Kirkwood Highway in Wilmington. Always happy with the service, though it's a small place and service typically takes a few weeks. I've also used Govberg in Bala Cynwyd, also good.
    The Watchmaker in Wilmington was actually going to be my next choice. May I ask what they have serviced for you & what the approximate costs were? A few weeks turnaround is no problem whatsoever. Any info is much appreciated.
    -Fissel

You might look into Towson Watch Company. They are located in Towson, Maryland, maybe 10 miles north of Baltimore. I can't vouch for them personally but I note that they are a service center for the Ickler brands - Limes and Archimede. I take that as a reasonably good recommendation.

We have always used McGary's. They are in Phila. on 2nd st. right under the Ben Franklin bridge. I had them work on my Rolex when the date wheel was sticking and they fixed it up like new. Only place I feel comfortable leaving special pieces.

Banned

Thanks to all who replied on the forum & the two who sent me personal messages. Boiled it down to two & decided to give each of them a watch & see how things go. I really liked one of them, John Riabov of Wyndwood Tyme. Other pick was Blue Lanterns suggestion of The Watchmaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Fissel View Post
    The Watchmaker in Wilmington was actually going to be my next choice. May I ask what they have serviced for you & what the approximate costs were? A few weeks turnaround is no problem whatsoever. Any info is much appreciated.
    -Fissel
    They serviced a vintage Omega for me for around $150. I've also had them change batteries and seals. Nice people! They're starting to stock a decent amount of vintage watches now, too. Good luck!
    Divers: Tudor Submariner 79190, Oris Aquis 40mm, Cyma Navy Star, Seiko Orange Monster, Bulova Marine Star, Pulsar Diver V736-6A20, Timex Atlantis
    Field & Dress: Timex Easy Reader, Timex Weekender, Timex Expedition, Casio MTP-1183E, Casio Calculator
    Vintage: Bulova 23 Jewels Selfwinding Six Adjustments

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Lantern View Post
    Hmm, I live in Philadelphia and work in Wilmington. This is good to know.

Although after my experience at Govberg as an almost customer means I'll likely never go there again, but it's good to know that their service is at least more reputable than their sales staff.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Quote Originally Posted by hpark21 View Post
    I believe another member had someone in center city jeweller's row (I believe he posted pictures of work being done as well...) I will have to do search to find it though.
    I'd be interested in seeing that thread. I live in center city and walking distance is a plus. Might investigate McGary's on 2nd street.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information