Newbie: online purchase advice?

Thread: Newbie: online purchase advice?

Newbie: online purchase advice?

Ok i want to purchase a used IWC portuguese chrono automatic, BUT, heard there are allot of really good fakes out there. So when purchasing from a private seller #1. only purchase with someone who has history? #2. only purchase with papers? #3. make informed decisions about pictures posted #4. only purchase via "pay-pal" or credit card? #5. authenticate after purchasing?......................So my questions are, do i have all my bases covered? And how do i get a watch authenticated? Does anyone have a trusted watch dealer that i can send my watch to to get it authenticated? Also how often should i clean a watch and were can i send it to be cleaned?
    Sorry if this is long winded, but this is my first watch that im spending allot on and i dont want to get ripped off. Anyway thanks to anyone who repsonds i really appreciate it.......

Re: Newbie: online purchase advice?

If youre buying used, id advise you to hold off on it for a bit and learn as much as you can. If you can become very familiar with what youre looking for, youll be able to pick out fakes pretty easily.

That said, if you wanna buy now, stick to well established sellers.

Do your research online first, learn about what fakes look like and how to tell the difference. Get a lot of pictures from the seller and verify the authenticity, post them here if you are unsure. Get references from the seller, call them and check them out. Make sure the seller has great feedback. Any AD for IWC will be able to verify the authenticity of the watch. Use Paypal or CC to ensure you can file a claim if necessary.

Main thing here: if anything feels even a little bit off, do not buy the watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That said, if you wanna buy now, stick to well established sellers.
    Be patient and stake out the various watch forum sales fora.
    You'll see certain names selling nice pieces from various brands all the time.
    Reputation is EVERYTHING and these people won't screw you.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

soo, would you sugest that i purchase a fake ($250) in order to study it, so i can spot a imposter. I figure its got to be worth it right?

Quote Originally Posted by Onairda View Post
    soo, would you sugest that i purchase a fake ($250) in order to study it, so i can spot a imposter. I figure its got to be worth it right?
    Nah save the money. I would wait until you found one you are interested in. Then post pictures of the watch on the forum and ask if it is authentic.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne_G_I View Post
    Nah save the money. I would wait until you found one you are interested in. Then post pictures of the watch on the forum and ask if it is authentic.
    Yeah, dont buy any fake crap. Give me the money and ill insure your purchase Just be patient and wait for the right watch. If you get too eager and jump on the first one to come your way....thats how you get screwed. Get your ducks in order and wait for the opportunity. Of course, as Wayne suggested, posting pics here for us to see is always a way to get some good input.

Thread Information