Newbie question

Thread: Newbie question

Newbie question

Hey all, I'm new to the forums, and this is my first post. I've been reading a lot of threads the past few weeks and I've learned quite a bit from everyone. I've got a couple quick questions that I haven't been able to find answers for through a forum search:

1. How can I find out what kind of steel a watch is made of when it's not listed on the company/vendor website? And is this only important for corrosion resistance, or is there a noticeable difference in quality and feel?

2. How can I figure out what movement is used in a watch when it's not listed on the company/vendor website, other than asking in the forums here? Do I have to open up the watch?

Thanks.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Newbie question

Quote Originally Posted by BigAO81 View Post

1. How can I find out what kind of steel a watch is made of when it's not listed on the company/vendor website? And is this only important for corrosion resistance, or is there a noticeable difference in quality and feel?
    316L is the kind of steel which is predominantly used in the watch industry, an austenitic steel. It features a good corrosion resistance. Some manufacturers use other steel (Rolex: 904L), some other use martensitic steel (Damasko). And yes there is some difference in quality or soft- and/or hardness, hwever I can't say there is another feel. I fhte vendor/manufacturer does not mention it just drop an e-mail. Most of them are responsive.

2. How can I figure out what movement is used in a watch when it's not listed on the company/vendor website, other than asking in the forums here? Do I have to open up the watch?
    Try to google the watch and see what information is available or ask here or if you have some knowledge about movements open up the watch. A good database is runned by Ranfft.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; February 12th, 2012 at 08:46.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Re: Newbie question

I would email the watch manufacturer with your questions, otherwise it's all speculation.

Thread Information