Newbie question - how do you distinquish brands that use the same movement?

Thread: Newbie question - how do you distinquish brands that use the same movement?

Newbie question - how do you distinquish brands that use the same movement?

Hi all,
    i am new to this and I would like to have my own collection. As i research into brands and makes, i noticed many manufacturers use the same watch movement. For example, the ETA 7750 movement is used by many brands. I read that as an example, IWC makes significant changes to the ETA movements and I can rationalise that to the higher cost of their watches. But for other 'lesser' known brands, what should i use to guage a watch? Presumably, watches that use the same movement will have the same accuracy, therfore the only difference is the personal preference on the case, the strap, display back, the dial, the look etc? Am I being too simplistic?
    Thanks very much for your advice.
    kymikai

Re: Newbie question - how do you distinquish brands that use the same movement?

It all comes down to tweaking or tunning and decoration. Raymond Weil
    and Freddy Constant do a great job in their price range and well as
    Longines and many others. Some live on name and propaganda. It takes time to weed those out. Now I tend to laugh at the most hallowed of names.

thanks very much, after reading some of the posts here, i understand it a little bit more, this forum is a great resource. Let me rephrase my question.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath
    It all comes down to tweaking or tunning and decoration. Raymond Weil
    and Freddy Constant do a great job in their price range and well as
    Longines and many others. Some live on name and propaganda. It takes time to weed those out. Now I tend to laugh at the most hallowed of names.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What it comes down to is your eye and budget.

Movements come in different "grades" and with lots of different options. Sort of like minivans ranging from your basic Plymouth Voyager to a decked out Chrysler Town & Country. However, you should manage your expectations correctly from the beginning and understand that price doesn't nescessarily translate into accuracy. A $10 Timex can have better accuracy than a $15,000 Daytona. Mechanical movements are precision tools and even a +-10s/24h is incredibly accurate for a mechanical device! And the best grade movement at the highest price can disappoint if not regulated properly. So in the end, not only does the grade of the movement and the "options" matter, attention to detail in production (e.g. an experienced watchmaker spending time with the movement regulating it versus a worker on a line just assembling the parts) makes all the difference. Don't trust the marketing fluff, it's all smoke and mirrors. It will take time though before you'll understand all the nuances, so keep an open mind, have fun and remember: for most of us, the journey is the destination!

Cheers

Matt
    "Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do"

Isaac Asimov

stuffler,mike

The journey is the destination!

Right you are Matt, right you are.

Thread Information