Newbie questions
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By UberDave

Thread: Newbie questions

Banned

Question Newbie questions

Hello!
    I know you are all thinking on the eclipse, the blue moon and that kind of stuff, but here I am with two newbie questions:

1. Can an automatic self-winding watch be manually winded? I am asking because I usually use another watch on weekends. Therefore, when I catch my "week watch" again the next Monday, it has stopped . I don't want to wear it on weekends, so can I simply wind it a bit on Sunday?

2. How many hours do I need to wear an automatic self-winding watch for a "full charge"? For example, if I have a 42 hours power reserve watch, how much should I wear it tor really gets the 42 hours? what happens in a manual-winded watch? How much should I wind it?

Thank you in advance for your help and knowledge :)

Re: Newbie questions

1/ You can wind an auto but the winding gears aren’t as robust as those in a hand winder so it’s probably best done gently.

2/ It depend on how active you are but it’s generally accepted that wearing an auto to about 10 hours per day is best.

Banned

sticky, thank you for your answer!
    Regarding question 2, if I wear it for 10 hours, then drop it on a drawer and come back 42 hours later, it will still working?
    Just to clarify my question, I know that if I charge my cellphone 8 hours I will get a "full charge", but I don't know about watches..
    Thank you again :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

1. It depends on the watch. Seiko 5s among others do not have manual winding.

2. It also depends on the watch - some have better auto winding efficiency than others.

It seems you need to monitor the power reserve (PR) on your watches. Fortunately there are watches with a PR index at all price ranges. On a tight budget you can try an Orient or a Parnis.

Banned

As mentioned here, there are non-hand winding autos. It’s not usually a big deal, just give them a few shakes to get them going.

The second point is also correct. Some movements wind only when the rotor spins in one direction, some wind in both directions, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Orex View Post
    1. It depends on the watch. Seiko 5s among others do not have manual winding.

2. It also depends on the watch - some have better auto winding efficiency than others.

It seems you need to monitor the power reserve (PR) on your watches. Fortunately there are watches with a PR index at all price ranges. On a tight budget you can try an Orient or a Parnis.

Seems like you need to do some sort of vigorous activity on Friday evening, prior to taking your weekday watch off for the weekend. ;)

Seriously though: If you're having problems with your weekday watch holding a charge until Monday morning, why not get a winder? It's a somewhat costly but reliable solution.
    Synequano likes this.
    A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Annual Calendar | Glashütte Original Senator Observer | Rolex GMT-II 116710 BLNR | Panerai 00524 Flyback | Tudor Pelagos | Magrette Dual Time

Banned

UberDave, thank you for your suggestion.
    Yes, I have just bougth a Longines Master Collection with moonphase indicator, so I believe that a watchwinder is a must now.
    A great idea is to create a table with that information. I mean, how many hours do you need to wear your watch to get it fully charged.
    Thank you all for the help :)

There is no set formula for hours of wear vs "charge". It depends greatly on how active you are and how much you move around, since movement winds the watch.