Newbie would appreciate expert opinion ..................
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By little big feather
  • 4 Post By dbakiva
  • 4 Post By cpayton
  • 1 Post By shameless

Thread: Newbie would appreciate expert opinion ..................

Newbie would appreciate expert opinion ..................

From an estate clear-out, we have found some old watches that we have some questions about. I have read the threads about radium watches and am getting more nervous and confused the more I read.

In a small plastic box is a Gruen watch face with the crystal off, along with a Patek Philippe watch (not sure if the Patek is real) and some plain gold rings. Would like to have them restored but am reluctant to handle them at all. Should I be concerned if the Gruen has a radium face and/or hands and if so, do I need to dispose of both these items? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Can they be safely stored in an attic in a plastic box/cardboard box? I am making a big deal out of this and really don’t know how to proceed. These don’t have sentimental value but I don’t want to overreact. We are not watch collectors as you can probably tell.
    Last edited by clockwise9; July 31st, 2014 at 20:52.

Re: Newbie would appreciate expert advice ..................

i wouldn't worry much about the radium. Its not that strong to begin with and you won't be having the watch in your pocket (or on the wrist) every single day anyways.

This forum per rules does jot give appraisals so please edit your post concerning that if you don't want the thread closed.

If you post pictures of the watches the pros here can give you information on them no doubt.

Expert advice costs.... Opinion is free. I wouldn't worry,you can ask a watchmaker for an expert opinion...
    falcon4311 likes this.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

We don't even know for sure yet if the Gruen is a radium dial watch. If it is, the danger is in breathing or ingesting radium dust made possible by the missing crystal. Find a watchmaker with a good reputation and ask. The other pieces are probably fine.

If it's actually a radium dial watch, just leave it unmolested in the box until you get someone to look at it. If it's not a radium dial watch, then there's no risk and just do whatever restoration you care to have done.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

You get more radiation at the dentists, any medical x-ray, or just walking around outside (yep, that's dangerous too!) than you are going to get from those watches. The people injured from the radium watch dials were the workers who ingested it while painting it on the dials. And it took quite a few dials to do them in. Don't snort or lick the dial and you can safely handle it. There were no, repeat no, cases of cancer from wearing or simply handling the watches.

Regardless, I wouldn't keep them in an old attic. The climate is not conducive to proper watch storage and you will damage them eventually. Better to just sell them if you don't want them. they may well be gold but DON"T SELL THEM TO A "WE BUY SCRAP GOLD,JEWELRY, WATCHES" PLACE. they will destroy them forever.

That being said, who knows what you have - how about some good (please make them good!) pictures.
    Last edited by Donf; July 31st, 2014 at 22:05.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My rule of thumb here is:

Don't lick the radium dials.
    Don't suck the tritium tubes.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

Quote Originally Posted by dbakiva View Post
    My rule of thumb here is:

Don't lick the radium dials.
    Don't suck the tritium tubes.
    There's a joke there but it might be too HOT--see what I did there?That was a triple!

Quote Originally Posted by cpayton View Post
    There's a joke there but it might be too HOT--see what I did there?That was a triple!
    I like that...
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Re: Newbie would appreciate expert opinion ..................

Quote Originally Posted by clockwise9 View Post
    From an estate clear-out, we have found some old watches that we have some questions about. I have read the threads about radium watches and am getting more nervous and confused the more I read.

In a small plastic box is a Gruen watch face with the crystal off, along with a Patek Philippe watch (not sure if the Patek is real) and some plain gold rings. Would like to have them restored but am reluctant to handle them at all. Should I be concerned if the Gruen has a radium face and/or hands and if so, do I need to dispose of both these items? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Can they be safely stored in an attic in a plastic box/cardboard box? I am making a big deal out of this and really don’t know how to proceed. These don’t have sentimental value but I don’t want to overreact. We are not watch collectors as you can probably tell.
    you are over reacting !!!cant believe your concern is about a 'dangerous' Gruen and casually mention the other find may be a Patek - my first priority would be to have the Patek checked out [or it wont be a matter of restoration anyway ] - may we see a pic of the PP - however whilst you are deciding get one of theseName:  hdc_0001_0003_0_img0215.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  45.5 KB
    Donf likes this.

Thread Information