Newbies (a nice story)
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By AdamF

Thread: Newbies (a nice story)

New York, New York, the city so nice they named it twice

Newbies (a nice story)

When I put my Oris up for sale the other day, the first PM and email I got was from a WIS with little history on the boards (joined WUS in March or April, 5 total posts) and no references I could find.

However . . . he communicated promptly and was polite and respectful, and so I agreed to a face-to-face transaction to exchange the watch for cash.

When I told my wife, she recommended that I bring a friend with me "just in case" - she doesn't really trust people one meets on the internet. I expressed surprise at her suspicion; she expressed surprise at my seeming naivete. (She expresses the same sentiment about other hobbyist friends I've had online for a dozen years - if I've never met them in person they're suspect.)

The buyer and I communicated by phone during the day today to confirm time and place for our meeting. I met him this afternoon (without backup!) and he couldn't have been more delightful. He was very happy with the watch and was ready with the cash; we had a nice chat and went our respective ways.

I've already posted feedback on the Watch Deals forum so now he's got at least one reference, but I really wanted to post this to remind people that (1) we were all newbies once, with no feedback or online references and (2) despite all the threads about scams, miscommunication, poor experiences, etc., there are far more good people out there than bad people (IME). It's great to have my faith in humanity justified.

So be careful out there - but not so careful that you lose the opportunity to meet a nice person who has the potential to be a great long-term addition to the community.

Best regards,
    Adam

drewmcd24 and rpell85 like this.
    Girard-Perregaux Traveller II Ref. 4935 • Minorva Watch 12 Dual-Time • Mido Baroncelli Manual Wind • Seiko Orange Monster

Re: Newbies (a nice story)

Nice story, and very good advice. Thanks!

~Sherry.
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

Re: Newbies (a nice story)

Great story, thanks for posting. I wish people were compelled to post about their positive experiences as often as their negative experiences.
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50
    Seiko Sumo SBDC003
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Ultra Thin Tribute to 1931
    Rolex GMT Master II BLNR

Thread Information