Newbie's Observation
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Newbie's Observation

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Newbie's Observation

"Children are to be seen an not heard"

For all practical purposes I am new to this watch thing. In the past I have purchased off EBay and got burned in spite of the arrogant belief that I had a good eye for details and could spot a fake. I have been reading many post here over the past few days and looked at many watch pictures. Seems like most of them are of Omega Seamasters.

What I have concluded is that I cant understand why a person who is not an expert would subject themselves to buying a vintage watch. It appears most out there are fake in some way or another. Even the experts here have trouble spotting everything wrong with a watch. All the differences makes me wonder if they really are all fake or just differences in production. As I stated I am no expert. And in the Seamasters case all this for a watch that I am sure is a great watch but IMHO ugly and has an outdated, not classic look (personal preference).

Some of the experts here are not kind in their replies and it is obvious they hang around the forum looking for a chance to input their vast knowledge. I have found myself questioning their motives.

Lastly, I realize I have left myself open for much criticism as children are to be seen and not heard. I am just making initial observation from someone wanting to get into watches
    chuasam, C4L18R3 and watchvaultnyc like this.

Re: Newbie's Observation

Not sure about Seamasters being fake but I will say that the vintage watch thing is tough to get into. It takes a breadth of knowledge that I don't have the energy for, that's why I stick to modern watches!

@thehoracle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    maxpowerman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by thehoracle View Post
    Not sure about Seamasters being fake but I will say that the vintage watch thing is tough to get into. It takes a breadth of knowledge that I don't have the energy for, that's why I stick to modern watches!

@thehoracle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I collect only new modern pocket watches for the same reasons. I enjoy the idea of some sort of tiny engine complete with a renewable power source, gears, and pivots that tells the time. I started with vintage railroad pocket watches and found most of them not to be these indestructible accurate tanks people spoke of, but instead worn out patched up hulks of what they once were

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There is such a vast learning curve for any watch enthusiast...especially one who is considering vintage watches. I suspect those who amass a strong functional knowledge would be disposed to share it on the forum... due in part to the years of effort it took to get there in the first place, and perhaps to stay current with what is going on.

I know from unrelated personal endeavors that it can be frustrating to encounter the typical noob questions. They come up so frequently and eventually become so predictable. They can even remind us of the "dues" paid along the road to wisdom.

I encourage you to realize that persistence, despite the occasional setback or hurtful response, is the best way to learn. None of this knowledge comes easily to any of us. And some have made some pretty big mistakes along the way.

Welcome to the journey.

You have been reading many posts here (on WUS) and most of them are sbout Omega Seamasters. And you fimd that Seamasters have an outdated ugly not classic look.

Seamaster is arguably Omega's most succesful model. Over 6+ decades numerous of different models have been designed with countless individual watches made. How many different models have you seen to be able to make such a sweeping statement.
    Last edited by John MS; December 28th, 2015 at 17:09.
    EnderW likes this.

My old mum was fond of saying "if you don't ask then you don't get". Sometimes you have to put your rhino skin suit on and ask.
    teatimecrumpet likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    How many different models have you seen to be able to make such a sweeping statement.
    Enough for him to have formed his opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    You have been reading many posts here (on WUS) and most of them are sbout Omega Seamasters. And you fimd that Seamasters have an outdated ugly not classic look.

Seamaster is arguably Omega's most succesful model. Over 6+ decades numerous of different models have been designed with countless individual watches made. How many different models have you seen to be able to make such a sweeping statement.
    Mostly the ones I have seen here, but also a couple in person and what a search on the web yielded. Yes I have seen different variations. The style longevity is a testament to its popularity, so I am admitting it is just me

How true, we all have that one particular thing we have that vast vertical knowledge of and we know how hard we worked to amass that knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by WoodMark View Post
    Mostly the ones I have seen here, but also a couple in person and what a search on the web yielded. Yes I have seen different variations. The style longevity is a testament to its popularity, so I am admitting it is just me
    Take your time and look some more. In particular search out Seamaster, Constellation and Geneve models from the 1950's and 1960's. There are good vintage Omega watches from reliable dealers however you will pay for originality and quality. The price is usually a good indication of quality at a good dealer. If another watch catches your interest ask about it on the Public and Vintage & Pocket Watch forums on WUS. We may be able to spot possible problems or suggest questions to ask.
    Last edited by John MS; December 28th, 2015 at 18:34.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information