Newfound watch collector
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Newfound watch collector

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Newfound watch collector

Two days ago I stumbled upon this fantastic lifestyle, although it will probably mean the death of all my funds, and I plan on starting my watch collection. I'm alright with metal bracelets, but more a man of leather straps.

My budget would be anywhere between 300CAD-800CAD. So far watches that have caught my eye are the tissot pr 100 quartz black dial, tissot chronograph pr100 quartz w/ leather strap, tissot le locle automatic (polished gold pvd case) w/ leather strap and roman numerals, and the hamilton quartz jazzmaster gent quartz leather watch (black dial with stick markers).

I'm open to any recommendations if my current selection isn't that great for its pricepoint since I'm day two into the luxury watch game. Thanks in advance for all the help, it will be much appreciated.

Re: Newfound watch collector

Name:  tissot le locle gold case.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  50.8 KBName:  tissot pr100 chronographer.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  44.3 KBName:  hamilton jazzmaster.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  34.9 KBName:  TISSOT PR 100 Black Dial Stainless Steel Watch.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  23.9 KB

Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, Ireland & Almancil/Vale do Lobo/Quinta do Lago Council, Portugal

Pretty decent choices. Be aware gold plating will inevitably peel off over time and as such gp watches can be kinda disposable. In this price range the usual suspects are Seiko, Citizen, Certina, Candino, Mido, Christopher Ward, maybe a Longines or Junghans, as well as of course Tissot and Hamilton. Casio Oceanus JDM can also be a nice one. Oh and welcome! :)
    Slm643, Ard and supersnout like this.
    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/paulo_8135

* Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000D
    * Casio Oceanus
    * Omega Constellation Gold
    * Omega Gold
    * Rotary Silver
    * Seiko Premier
    * Tag Heuer Aquaracer blue

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BoratDesNico View Post
    Two days ago I stumbled upon this fantastic lifestyle, although it will probably mean the death of all my funds, and I plan on starting my watch collection. I'm alright with metal bracelets, but more a man of leather straps.

I'm open to any recommendations if my current selection isn't that great for its pricepoint since I'm day two into the luxury watch game. Thanks in advance for all the help, it will be much appreciated.
    Welcome aboard, and sorry about your wallet. As someone who started collecting myself last year after about 10 years of not wearing a watch, I would recommend against quartz. I bought three quartz chronos, two Citizen Eco-drives, and a Lum-tec. As soon as I got my first automatic, my Seiko SKX, I immediately lost all interest in my quartz watches, and just sold the last one. I lost money on all of them. The Lum-tec lost half its value, and the pricey titanium Citizen lost a little less than half of what I paid for it, but it sold for about a quarter of what the import price is for a new one from Japan. My other Citizen that I was dumb enough to pay retail for from an AD lost 87% of its original value, I basically gave it away. Nobody wants used quartz watches.

You're probably going to make some mistakes starting out (many of us do, I certainly did) but at least if you make a mistake with an automatic (especially if you buy used or from a GM dealer) it won't hurt too badly. I've sold three autos so far, all from microbrands, all of which lost about 20% of their new value.

Don't worry about whether a watch comes on a bracelet or a strap, you can always remove a bracelet (except if the watch has integrated lugs) and a lot of OEM leather straps are crap anyway (ahem Seiko). A really nice ColaReb or Rios1931 leather strap is under $50.

Do you really need the chronograph function? You can certainly get a Valjoux 7750 powered automatic chrono at the upper end of that price range especially if you're shopping used, but there's a pretty substantial service cost that goes a long with that. If you don't specifically need it for something, don't bother.

Hamilton and Tissot are fine, but I feel like Hamilton is better for field watches than dress watches, and I'm just not really moved by any of those Tissots. My first recommendation would be a Seiko SDGM003 Grand Cocktail. These punch way above what they cost in terms of style and finishing, they can compete with Swiss dress watches at double the price. If you don't mind the less elegant sweep of the 6-beat second hand that you'll get from the 6R15 in the Seiko vs. an ETA/Selita/STP in the Swiss competition, the SDGM is a hell of a lot of watch for the money.

Ard likes this.

Take your time. The more you read and shop around, you will hone your preferences. And, there will be some very nice deals during the holiday season.

Welcome ... enjoy the ride.
    Ard likes this.

Welcome aboard!

The best way not to regret any purchases is to read, read, read! And space them out to give your preferences time to evolve between watches.
    Ard likes this.

Welcome to the forums! If you want to cut to the full on addiction, you might as well opt for a mechanical watch straight out of the gate... What about a Tissot Visodate?
    Name:  4CCBA36B-09F5-448D-9240-7561E4619E07.jpeg
Views: 132
Size:  201.0 KB
    Ard, anrex and irprof like this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Used quartz watches will still fetch a fair price. People are always looking for deals on quartz watches as much as they automatic.

I have sold my used quartz watches with little loss and have even come out ahead on some. The same as my auto's.

Find what speaks to you. Auto's are nice but keep in mind, especially in this price range, that sometimes servicing costs aren't worth the price and the watch may be considered disposable.

The SKX is a good selection, as are many seiko's in this line. If you like diver's check out Scurfa, and I'd also suggest NTH watches as well on the microbrand side of things. The NTH barracuda is a sharp piece and I think there are some still left in stock. Well sized at 40mm.

I'd also look into Victorinox, and you can usually find some smoking deals on the grey market both new and used.

I would take into consideration the size of the watch as well. That was one thing that I considered a lesson learned for myself that I do not prefer my watches any bigger than 40mm or smaller than 38mm.

Think about features you may want: Date, WR, lume, etc.

And what the end use will be.
    Ard likes this.

Ard

Welcome to watch-world buddy!

It looks as if you have a taste for dress / casual style in the 39 - 40mm size, maybe take a look at the Junkers (German) watches. They make some very slim and interesting looking models in their Bauhaus style.
    priamo likes this.

Welcome. I have been collecting for sometime, and starting to come back to full circle of price point purchases. Here is my latest...

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 124
Size:  1.65 MB
    supersnout likes this.
    “A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.” - Lee Segall

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information