Next-Step-Up advice

Thread: Next-Step-Up advice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Next-Step-Up advice

Hi everyone.
    I'm wondering what the next step up from a std Orient would be. I'm very pleased with my two Orients (1280rmb and 880rmb RRP) but was just wondering how much I'd have to spend/ what brand(s) I'd be looking to buy, to get something a step up.
    I'm thinking Tissot or a Seiko Auto, which isn't a 5-series?

v76

Re: Next-Step-Up advice

I think a Seiko ... perhaps a Spirit (SARB range?). I have a Spirit SCVS013 (dress watch) which is very nice indeed. I have a bunch of Swiss watches, some mid- (or entry high-) range, and that Seiko is just as good in terms of fit and finish (and accuracy).

I can personally recommend Stowa - the Antea with date is great value for money (I have one). You should check out their other models as well. Stowa offers good quality and excellent personalized customer service.
    Last edited by v76; December 28th, 2010 at 04:55.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Banned

Seiko and Tissot are nice, as well as Hamilton. You owe it to yourself to look at Christopher Ward too - best 'under $500' modern Swiss watch I've ever owned.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Seiko or Hamilton. Tissot will do as well. But if you're into dive watches, do yourself a favor and get a Seiko Monster. Easily had for under $200. My Seiko SRP043K2 was just a hair under $300 and it's a great watch. It's slowly dissolving all the worries I've had about Seiko.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Banned

I'm looking for something I can pick up in a real store, not online. I seem to basically have to choose between Tissot, Seiko, Enicar, Titoni and a few others I can't remember. Stowas are 600 pounds to order a basic one from their EU site, which is 6,000rmb exlc postage. For some reason, the Japanese-made Seiko5s in Suzhou go for 2,000rmb! There are other Seiko autos for sale at around the 3-5000 mark, but a few Tissots at this price too. Hamilton are too pricey. I'm looking to spend no more than 4,500rmb, which is 450 pounds, and would probably equate to around $500 if bought from a US shop, prices being a lot lower in The US (as far as I'm aware)

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Seiko or Hamilton. Tissot will do as well. But if you're into dive watches, do yourself a favor and get a Seiko Monster. Easily had for under $200. My Seiko SRP043K2 was just a hair under $300 and it's a great watch. It's slowly dissolving all the worries I've had about Seiko.
    What ???!!!??? Are you back to seiko. I know you was having a hard time. I'm glad you are back with Seiko. Im going to using the Seiko monsters as the base of two mods I have plan for Jan 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Xspect View Post
    What ???!!!??? Are you back to seiko. I know you was having a hard time. I'm glad you are back with Seiko. Im going to using the Seiko monsters as the base of two mods I have plan for Jan 2011.

Yup. I'm wearing an SRP043K2 on a Bond NATO. I've been wearing it a lot since I got it a month or so ago. It keeps very good time (+5 a day, just about in line with my Hamiltons, if a little faster), looks great on the Bond, and wears very comfortably. It's often the watch I change to when I get home from work or when just kicking around in my apartment on weekends. I am wearing it to the office today.

It's sitting uncomfortably in the same space as my Hamilton Scuba, and it's getting more wrist time because it's slightly larger and has better lume. It's also shiny and new, once that wears off a little, I'm sure the Hamilton will be back on my wrist more. I mean, I haven't worn my G-Shock over a month. Having new stuff always upsets the rotation. The 043 is a great kicking around watch (not really a beater, that's what my G-Shock is for). I took it out to a bar the other night and a friend of a friend actually liked it so much he held up my wrist and pushed back my sleeve to get a better look at it.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

What style watch are you looking for?
    Seiko / Orient / Hamilton

Banned

Sorry for neglecting this thread. As to style, I'm open to anything not too outre, but I want three hands max and assume I'd get better value if I stay away from heavy cases and bracelets. A fleiger or dress watch ideally, though you gotta love a black diver. The most important thing is quality of movement- I'd wear a pink Rolex if I got the right deal! I've been pondering this decision for a very long time as I cannot afford to spend 6,000 RMB on a watch which I have any doubts about. I looked at some Midos the other day and they seem very nice. Also I have access to Hamilton, but I thought they might be a bit pricey? Also
    Nomos
    Longines & Ball (at a push and they'd have to be one step below Rolex for me to spend that kind of money)
    Ernest Borel (though I don't know anything about them) and a few others including
    Certina/Eterna/ Festina (though I might be getting them mixed up and only one or all of them might be in the local shops)
    and of course
    Oris
    I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking "bugger this, I'll get a high end Analog G-Shock and stop all the faffing about!"
    I assume there isn't one stand-out brand which is unequivocally better than all the others but if there were 2 (NOT Ball, I know they're bloody brilliant, but they're 11,000 and the Longines Conquest is 9,800, though I do really like it. Is it definitely worth the money?) from which to sensibly choose, then I might be able to make a decision. I'd stick my neck out and say, of this lot, Hamilton are probably the front-runners at around the 6-7,000 yuan price-point with the Ball Chronometer a full step up from them and a Longines Conquest a half-step down from the Ball Chronometer?
    Have I just talked myself into a Hamilton?
    Is this wise?
    Last edited by Scottish Steve; January 4th, 2011 at 11:51.

As someone suggested above I'd seriously suggest looking ay the Seiko SARB line. They have decent in house movements and a variety of styles. I have the SARB 017 and I love it. Great design, solid, reliable, keeps time within COSC specs and within your price range.
    Ball | Bulova | Casio | CWC | HMT | Invicta | Nomos | Omega | Orient | Rolex | Seagull | Seiko | Shanghai | Timex | Vostok

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information