• 1 Post By Tricky73
  • 1 Post By back2class
  • 2 Post By back2class
  • 1 Post By SeanoftheDead516
  • 1 Post By delmar39
  • 1 Post By sticky

Thread: Next watch purchase..?

Question Next watch purchase..?

Hi there I'm new to these forums, but not new to being obsessed about watches!

I scratched my itch for a higher end watch by purchasing an Omega SMP 300 in blue a couple of years ago.

Recently I've been wanting a new watch to wear more regularly on a daily basis, but didn't want to spend a fortune (or couldn't justify spending another fortune on a watch) so started looking on forums such as this.

Came across Tisell, Steinhart and Christopher Ward. They appealed because they weren't mainstream and they are not watches that many people will own or know about (unless you're really in to watches).

After quite a bit of research in the past couple of weeks I've purchased a Tisell vintage Submersible (it went up in price after I bought it, so seems like a good buy) and a Steinhart Ocean 39 in black. I absolutely love them both, as much as my Omega for different reasons. 1. value for money; 2. spec and 3. because they are little known brands outside my circle of friends and local stores. The Tisell is built like a tank, fits great and I love the sapphire dome (seems impossible to do it any harm!), the Steinhart 39 seems up a notch quality wise and is more 'dressy' and of course a love my Omega. The Tissel and Steinhart have gained a couple of seconds in 24 hours (so pretty accurate!) my Omega is still bang on.

Anyway, I'm contemplating buying a Tisell Marine Diver no date as it's different to my Submersible, a C Ward C60 auto (from the reduced price 'nearly new' section) or a Steinhart Premium Blue (although I'm concerned that I may be slightly too big, which is why I went for a 39mm O1). I would really like an Omega PO 39.5mm, but that's a long term venture!

In summary I'm leaning towards another Tisell simply because of the value for money element and the fact that it really does seem unique as a little known micro brand. I absolutely love the fit and feel of my Submersible. In fact I'd like to collect quite a few of them, but there are only so many watches I can wear (according to my wife!).

I know this topic has been done to death, but just wanted to get some thoughts. Or any other micro brand, affordable divers that people have come across outside of the usual suspects.

Finally it bothers me not about these watches being close to certain higher end brands, they're still quality watches and I'm happy with that.

Cheers in advance.
    SeanoftheDead516 likes this.

I know you say outside of usual
    Suspects but have you looked at any of seikos offerings?

I’ve owned steinhart in the past and can testify for their quality, I don’t like the homage pieces personally but I can recommend he ocean one 500 titanium. I thought for under £500 used it was a great watch, perfect dimensions and very legiable with great lime and solid bezel. My only gripe was the clasp was a bit flimsy but overall it’s a watch I would consider to add some colour and also titanium to your collection
    delmar39 likes this.
    All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you...

Re: Next watch purchase..?

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky73 View Post
    I know you say outside of usual
    Suspects but have you looked at any of seikos offerings?

I’ve owned steinhart in the past and can testify for their quality, I don’t like the homage pieces personally but I can recommend he ocean one 500 titanium. I thought for under £500 used it was a great watch, perfect dimensions and very legiable with great lime and solid bezel. My only gripe was the clasp was a bit flimsy but overall it’s a watch I would consider to add some colour and also titanium to your collection
    Thanks for coming back to me. I'll check out the seikos and I did actually consider the Titanium 500 for the reasons you mention. The thing that put me off a bit is the lighter weight as I like my watches to be heavy, but having thought about it I already have a lot of heavy watches! So yes, this is a good call and one that I'll go back to again...something different, but will compliment what I already own. Thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Have you looked at vintage watches? May be a more fun route
    delmar39 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by back2class View Post
    Have you looked at vintage watches? May be a more fun route
    Thanks back2class. In terms of vintage watches what would you recommend I look at as a starting point? I went for the vintage Tisell sub, but I appreciate there's lots to go at...

That's such a personal taste thing. I really can't say. But I had so much fun just browsing ebay and making random finds. Note even always vintage. I got a chronometer certified Kreiger diving watch for $100 one day because nobody else bid. You just never know what will catch your eye. But some amazing values on vintage stuff when most buyers are chasing the common Omegas and such.
    SeanoftheDead516 and delmar39 like this.

Next watch purchase..?

Welcome to forums OP! Glad to have another watch obsessed member.

Be warned: we’re all enablers! You will spend significantly more money on watches than you would have if you had never joined WUS.

I will say this, I believe as a result of joining you will meet more kind people on WUS who share a common interest than anywhere else. I also believe you’ll enjoy your watches more as a result. If that’s not the case for you then I’ll eat crow but that has been my experience since joining.

I’ve met a lot of great people and purchased and sold many watches and straps for great prices.

To your inquiry I generally search the sales forum on WUS just to see what’s being sold. You’d be amazed at some of the watches you’ll find.

I purchased a Christopher Ward C60 Trident 300 with red bezel in 2016 on the sales forum. I owned it for a month or so on a De Beers leather strap. Beautiful watch but I moved on from it as my love for Omega grew. I do highly recommend the C60 though as it is a fantastic watch. I also enjoyed a Blue Orient Ray for some time. Now that dial may be one of my most favorite dials to stare at. I had mine on a black NATO strap.

Name:  IMG_1241.JPG
Views: 22
Size:  105.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1246.JPG
Views: 20
Size:  118.0 KB

My next purchase will likely be a Blue Aqua Terra “Skyfall” Omega, but much like your 39.5mm PO that’s a long term venture for me.
    Last edited by SeanoftheDead516; March 1st, 2018 at 18:33.
    delmar39 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanoftheDead516 View Post
    Welcome to forums OP! Glad to have another watch obsessed member.

Be warned: we’re all enablers! You will spend significantly more money on watches than you would have if you had never joined WUS.

I will say this, I believe as a result of joining you will meet more kind people on WUS who share a common interest than anywhere else. I also believe you’ll enjoy your watches more as a result. If that’s not the case for you then I’ll eat crow but that has been my experience since joining.

I’ve met a lot of great people and purchased and sold many watches and straps for great prices.

To your inquiry I generally search the sales forum on WUS just to see what’s being sold. You’d be amazed at some of the watches you’ll find.

I purchased a Christopher Ward C60 Trident 300 with red bezel in 2016 on the sales forum. I owned it for a month or so on a De Beers leather strap. Beautiful watch but I moved on from it as my love for Omega grew. I do highly recommend the C60 though as it is a fantastic watch. I also enjoyed a Blue Orient Ray for some time. Now that dial may be one of my most favorite dials to stare at. I had mine on a black NATO strap.

Name:  IMG_1241.JPG
Views: 22
Size:  105.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1246.JPG
Views: 20
Size:  118.0 KB

My next purchase will likely be a Blue Aqua Terra “Skyfall” Omega, but much like your 39.5mm PO that’s a long term venture for me.
    Thanks for the welcome and for sharing your ideas/watches - love the Blue Orient Ray. Perhaps just chatting about watches on here will stop me from buying more! May be not.

Tisell has just offered me 5% off my next purchase plus free shipping...but there are so many out there and I really do like the look of the Steinhart Premium 500 titanium - love the clear case back. I'll keep looking around. I'm not sure about the C60 I do like the look of it but the logo does put me off (the most recent logo at 9 o'clock). I'd look to get this at a reduced price as you mention above - they are doing the 300 in quartz in the 'nearly new' section for £290 ish, which is good, but I'm really in to autos now.
    SeanoftheDead516 likes this.

If you go for the Chris Ward in the NN sale buy with confidence. I’ve bought several and the “nearly” bit is the only part that’s even mildly dodgy.
    delmar39 likes this.

Thread Information