Next watch. TAG 1887/Omega Speedmaster/IWC Pilot Chrono? Need Advice. Thanks.

Thread: Next watch. TAG 1887/Omega Speedmaster/IWC Pilot Chrono? Need Advice. Thanks.

Question Next watch. TAG 1887/Omega Speedmaster/IWC Pilot Chrono? Need Advice. Thanks.

So my watch is due for a service, I think. I currently own a Tag Heuer Link Chronograph (CJF2112; ETA 7750 movement), which I bought in 2006. Really tempted to buy another watch, but not entirely sure which one. I've stopped by a few watch boutiques, and have come to a few options. Would really appreciate some input RE watch itself, movement quality/dependability, durability, etc.

1. IWC Pilot chrono. Initial thoughts: Great looking watch. Feels lighter on the wrist than my link. Fits nicely on the wrist. Not sure about the movement. Similar to ETA 7750? I already own one with that movement.

2. Tag Heuer 1887. Initial thoughts: In-house movement, cool transparent case back. Cheaper than IWC. Not sure about movement reliability? I have read somewhere that some in-house movements aren't as accurate as ETA ones as some are relatively new on the market. Not sure if I'm really keen on owning another TAG. TAG's are great, but also open to something different.

3. Omega speedmaster broad arrow. Just had a look at this one under New Products of the omega website. I've never tried this one, but am interested. 3313 movement. Reliability issues? Better than TAG in-house movement?

Would be keen to see what you guys think. Also keen on any other interesting models I should look at. I'll most likely be using it as a daily wear. So it may go through some abuse

Cheers.

Thumbs Up Re: Next watch. TAG 1887/Omega Speedmaster/IWC Pilot Chrono? Need Advice. Thanks.

Welcome to the forums..

Just to clarify - did you see all three listed yourself? And you liked them

My thoughts on the list - 1) there are nicer looking IWC than this; the IWC movements may be based on ETA but are far, far better than your standard ETA listed in budget watches, so...
    2) this TAG is a cheeseburger on a strap @15,5mm thicker than most diver watches - no wonder they never list this in specs.
    and 3) if you go Omega, go classic with cal. 861. The 3313A had issues (search forum) and there is no way of knowing if 3313B solved them or if your watch will get one. The 1887 movement is based on Seiko 6s37, so it should be good (too new to tell based on experience).

Now, outside your list there are SO many (IMHO better) options, I don't know where to begin.. if you are comfortable in the 4-5k range, you can go Zenith, high-end Seiko, with some Germans...

I suggest you skim quickly through the dozens of threads "which watch under 2k, 3k, 5k, etc" and also look for those asking for chronos... then you should get a good idea where you may go for options... Short version - if you have to get one of those three you listed, it would be the IWC. I would strongly suggest you take time to check options like this one, for example...

All images borrowed from the net - all showing watches superior to what you listed (IMHO)
    The 1st Rule of WUS Club is: No Pictures - No Help.
    The 2nd Rule of WUS Club is: No Pictures - It Didn't Happen.
    The 3rd Rule of WUS Club is: Read the rules on top of the page.

Re: Next watch. TAG 1887/Omega Speedmaster/IWC Pilot Chrono? Need Advice. Thanks.

Thanks for your reply. Really appreciate your thoughts. Zenith was always on the back of my mind. Only problem, they are hard to locate where I live in Australia. Additionally, watches for some reason, cost a lot more here in comparison to the USA. I'm guessing the Zenith above will be above 10,000 AUD. RRP for IWC pilot chrono with a steel band approximately 8,000 AUD. And the AUD is currently stronger than the USD. I can probably get a bit of a discount, but will still be steep in comparison to USA.

Please let me know if there are any other watch recommendations on your mind. An interest in watches in now a growing.

Thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Next watch. TAG 1887/Omega Speedmaster/IWC Pilot Chrono? Need Advice. Thanks.

I like the TAG 1887, but is it even available anywhere yet? I haven't seen it for sale. Seems like they announced it a year ago or more, then they changed the design, and haven't heard a thing since?

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

Based on what you've listed the requirement is for an automatic chronograph.

Assuming new, there are quite a few automatic integrated chronograph movements available in the general price range.

- Zenith 3019PHC/400
    - Seiko 8R28
    - Valjoux/ETA 7750
    - Ebel 137
    - Omega 3301/3306/3313
    - TAG 1887
    - Lemania 5100
    - Seiko 5R86 Spring Drive
    - Breitling B01

This discounts the recent ETA revised versions of the Valjoux 7750 and Lemania 5100s used in the Swatch automatic chronographs and the Tissot and Longines automatic chronos which are generally cheaper. It also discounts Frederic Piguet 1185 based chronos and above as these are generally going to be in a higher price range.

I doubt any of these are significantly more or less reliable than any other, excepting the Lemania 5100, which is a bit cruder and simpler in construction and generally perceived as more robust. In my opinion, much comes down to what style and features you want.

The 7750 is available in an incredible variety of styles with an incredible range of features. Name a style you like and people will be able to suggest a 7750 based chrono in the style. As mentioned by other's IWC is cut above most others when it comes to 7750s. Zeniths and Ebels are almost exclusively dress chronographs. The Seikos are modern large aggressively styled watches. The Omegas are Omegas and come in a tremendous variety of styles and sizes, as they make chronos in each of their lines (Speedmaster, Seamaster, Constelllation, De Ville). They are Frederic Piguet based movements, some with their proprietary co-axial escapement. The TAG 1887 Carrera is a nice watch, but frankly could just as easily have a 7750 movement in it, as the dial layout and style is very close to that of the 7750 Carreras. The Lemania 5100, no longer in production is still available in Tutima's and are generally styled as tool/military/pilot watches. The Breitling B01 has only been available in a Chronomat (large), although other smaller versions have recently been announced.

So what to buy? (All images "borrowed")

Personally I'd look hard at the Tutima, as the Lemania 5100 layout is the best chronograph layout ever made in my opinion.

I'd also look hard at the Omegas. The Broad Arrow is a beautiful watch, but my particular favorite is the Aqua Terra Chrono GMT

The Ebels are the value buys of the bunch as there are quite a few NOS BTR and 1911 models out there at over 50% discount. The quality of these watches are more than the equal of anything you're going to get in the price range and the movement is quite nice.

Lastly, I'd consider two other watches used or NOS which puts them in the price range. The quality of both these watches is superlative. The Blanc Pain Flyback based on the Piguet 1185. The FP1185 is an incredible movement. In an age when chronographs are regularly 44mm wide and larger, it's compact size enables the BP to be 38mm.

The Jaeger LeCoultre Master Compressor with the JLC751 movement. This watch has a proprietary water proof lock down system, and a unique way of displaying cumulative hours.

Happy shopping!!!

Broad Arrow!
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Sodiac View Post
    I like the TAG 1887, but is it even available anywhere yet? I haven't seen it for sale. Seems like they announced it a year ago or more, then they changed the design, and haven't heard a thing since?
    Yes, its basically on sale everywhere except for the US- think it went on sale in Asia around September.

You're right that they changed the design- twice. Prototype is on the left; Version 2 (currently on sale) in the middle and then an updated design for sometime in 2011 on the right:

Some more info about the changes here if you're interested: Carrera 1887 Updated- Again | Calibre 11

Cheers

David
    Calibre 11 | The Home of TAG Heuer and Heuer Collectors

http://www.calibre11.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/calibre11

thanks for all your input and suggestions.

Anyone know if Zenith makes any watches with steel bands? I'm guessing no as they seem to tend towards a dress style chronograph.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess as I'll probably be using the watch as a daily wear, steel band might be more suitable.

Cheers

v76

Zenith offers most models with both leather strap and stainless steel bracelet options ... I have an older model El Primero Class 4 on a stainless steel bracelet:
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Thread Information