Nice Watches under $1000

Thread: Nice Watches under $1000

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Nice Watches under $1000

Hey all, I could really use some help..

I'm 22 and just starting to have a job where I'm making some money, and I would like a watch that I could wear to work functions or just out and about, something dressier, with a leather strap.

I'm not a fan of divers or watches with a movable bezel..

some examples that have caught my eye are:

Oris Artelier Complication
    Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic
    Omega Aqua Terra
    various Stowa, JS Watch co, etc..

also, I'm really trying to not look like a 22 year old rich kid wearing his father's watch.

thanks everyone

DMB
    Banned

Re: Nice Watches under $1000

Get a Seiko. Perhaps an Orange Monster? OK, now that the required Seiko plug is out of the way .... I think you'd do well with something from Hamilton. I like their dressier line of watches. You could really open up your choices if you looked at pre-owned. That would put some Omegas, TAGs, etc in the mix. However, I think you would do very well with Hamilton or Oris. ~ David

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman909 View Post
    Oris Artelier Complication
    Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic
    Omega Aqua Terra
    various Stowa, JS Watch co, etc..
    The Omega will be above that price, unless your willing to buy pre-owned quartz. The entire Oris Artelier collection is really nice - I like the pointer date. Hamiltons are also really nice watches. Take a look at Longines also. They make some classic dress watches that fall well under your budget. Even underrated brands like Mido make some really nice options also.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DMB View Post
    Get a Seiko. Perhaps an Orange Monster? OK, now that the required Seiko plug is out of the way .... I think you'd do well with something from Hamilton. I like their dressier line of watches. You could really open up your choices if you looked at pre-owned. That would put some Omegas, TAGs, etc in the mix. However, I think you would do very well with Hamilton or Oris. ~ David

Check MKII a sponser of this site. They use elabore grade ETA movements with Incabloc shock protection, and allow you to customize the watch with different bezels, hands, dials, finish etc... In addition the owner of the co. hand assembles each custom and regulates the movement to 6 positions for excellent accuracy. They are an excellent value. IMO

All good advice so far...

I'm leaning towards a Hamilton, they seem to have a great line of pretty simple dress watches that can be worn all the time.

Also looking at some Tissot, and ideally I would be able to get a Baume Mercier, although the ones I have been looking at are a little out of my range like the Classima Executive.

Question: Should I be looking at Automatic watches? I'm a novice and have to admit I don't truly know what that means or what I should be going after

I like the looks of the Hamilton Jazzmaster slim, and almost bought one. For me there is two problems with this watch. First it isn't available in the us. not really a problem you can always order it online. Second it doesn't have a second hand. may not bother some but for me I love the look of the sweeping second hand on an automatic watch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I agree, I also love the look of that watch, how slim it is, the simplicity, a somewhat interesting face without being too garish...however the lack of second hand irritates me also and has made me hesitant to go out and find one online

I like the looks of the Hamilton Jazzmaster slim, and almost bought one. For me there is two problems with this watch. First it isn't available in the us. not really a problem you can always order it online. Second it doesn't have a second hand. may not bother some but for me I love the look of the sweeping second hand on an automatic watch.
    I love the Jazzmaster Slim, especially in white with the mesh strap, but, if a watch doesn't have a second hand, I might as well just get it in quartz (which I don't think they make this watch in.)
    As to the OP: Tissot and Hamilton both make great, simple dress watches. Mido, Longines, and Atlantic also might be brands to look in to. If you want to go very affordable, than Orient and Sea-Gull are things to look at. Good luck!
    Collection
    The Keepers: Breitling Superocean Steelfish, Doxa Sub 300 Professional (50th anniversay reissue, #299/300), Omega Speedmaster Professional, Scurfa Diver One, Shinola Runwell 47mm, Tissot Quadrato Chrono

The Flipped: Too many to count...

Getting a Hamilton is obviously a great recommendation.

I believe the Stowa MO is in your price range -that's a really nice watch.

Also, entry level Balls and Glycines are in your budget as well. I dig both these brands.

Finally, another brand that has several models in your price range is Raymond Weill. I haven't really seen any that move me, but it opens up some options for you.
    BALL Trainmaster Cleveland Express
    ANONIMO Cronoscopio
    LACO Pilot B Miyota
    OMEGA Speedmaster 3510.21
    SEA-GULL 1963 Re-issue
    BREITLING Navitimer A13322
    FORTIS B42 Flieger Day/Date
    ANONIMO D-Date
    LOCMAN 1970
    BALL Engineer II Moon Glow

ANONIMO DINO ZEI Narvalo
    VOSTOK Amphibian
    OMEGA Speedmaster 3506.61.00
    BREITLING Sprint
    BENARUS Moray 4 - Model B

I can understand your sentiments of not wanting a watch that looks like it's some trust fund baby's daily gift. ;)

I have the Hamilton Jazzmaster maestro. Retails at $1550 CDN, I got it for around a grand, you could do the same in the states. Nice, good size watch that you can wear with a suit or with jeans and a T.

I couldn't recommend anything else. I did a hell of a lot of research before I got this, and I would buy the same one again. The only problem is it was the thing that got me headfirst into this stupid expensive hobby. ;)

EDIT: and one of the reasons I love the Chrono is it gives you the second hand you want, and it works great for timing parking meters. ;)
    Last edited by J_Scott; November 22nd, 2009 at 22:44.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information