A nightmare that came to an end, at last! (yeah, it's a long story to read!)

Thread: A nightmare that came to an end, at last! (yeah, it's a long story to read!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A nightmare that came to an end, at last! (yeah, it's a long story to read!)

I everyone,

Have some free time tonight, so I thought I would share my three months adventure with a watch I was a bit too fast to buy. I'm sorry, but this will probably be long story.

So, I few months ago, I got on the sales forum, by mistake again . So I'm browsing, relax, without the intention of buying anything (right!) when I saw a Glycine Airman SST-06. I was looking for 24h watch for a while, and because of their heritage with that kind of watches, Glycine was on top of my list. The price was ok, not a great deal but the watch was in Canada and I was able to deal with Canadian money and avoid all the taxes that we usually get smacked with when we receive packages from outside our country, so at the end it became a good deal...... I thought. Well, since i had not seen many Airman on the sales forum, I had to act quick, to make sure nobody would grab it before me. So I emailed the seller, made an offer that he accepted right away and in a few minutes, it was a done deal. Now, I pay for the watch, I'm all excited and go on the internet and start reading more about the Airman models and red flag!!!! Damn, I just bought the GMT version, not the 24h version . Yeah, reading more BEFORE would have been a good idea, but a WIS is a strange animal, and sometimes, when in front of a covet timepiece, the brain becomes like jelly and it stops thinking. Now, I'm not so happy anymore, ....., it's not the watch I want!!!! What I'm i going to do? So I receive the watch, I have to say, that the Airman SST-06 GMT is also a beautiful watch so I tried to live with it, but couldn't. Tried to flip it for the price a paid and I waited...........waited.........and waited. Looks like the GMT version is not a very popular version, and since it's not THAT cheap, I was basically screwed and unless I would give it away, I would not recuperate my money.

While home, I told myself: ''Hey, let's send an email to Glycine and see if they would do the mod for me.'' If I have to keep it, might as well have it the way I wanted it, if this was not going to work, i had decided to keep it and learn to live with that orange GMT hand. I sent my email asking if it was possible to buy a set of hands for the Purist version so I could have someone here to do the swap, in my mind, it was a very simple mod. All they had to do was to remove the regular hour hand and replace the GMT hand by a Purist hour hand, et voilà. But no, Glycine replied to me (within 48 hours, thank you for that) but with a very weird answer saying that I had to replace the movement to do so. I then though that I was dealing with a rookie or someone not familiar with watch mechanics so I responded that I found strange that I had to replace the movement since both version had the ETA 2893 and I thought it was really just a question of replacing the hands They then got back saying that I was right but the some gears had to be removed as well and if I wanted the job to be done they would do it with pleasure! Now, I started to by a bit more happy, and I pushed my luck and asked if they had a dealer in Canada or USA that could do the work since shipping a watch insured for more that $1000 to Europe, is about $100 from Canada and since I wanted to keep my cost as low as possible, so the watch doesn't cost me $2000 at the end and they had told me that they had done a mod like that in the USA and the cost was about $165. Ouch, pretty expensive for a set of hands and about 1 hour work (that I figured) but it was still worth it for me to enjoy the watch. Well, they got back to me with a store name in Totonto that is not a Glycine dealer, but do handle some warranty work for them form time to time. Wow! now I was really impressed with Glycine and I was getting closer from my 24h Airman.

At this point, I have to say I was very please with the way I've been handled by Glycine. Even if the person I was corresponding with, didn't have the knowledge, he did the leg work to get answers and at the end, gave me what I wanted. I think it's important to give credit to companies that do take care of their customers, even when they have uncommon requests. I was at the other end of the world for these guys, and there was not to much money for them to make in that adventure, so they did it to please me and I again, I really appreciated it. Thanks Glycine.

It's not over yet, now I have to send the watch to Solaris Jewelry, THE STORE they recommended, but before, I want to talk to the someone to know how much they will charge me, so I sent an email. Waited one week, sent another one, one more week, still no answer. At this point i'm pissed. What kind of service is that? Solaris Jewelry is a high end store with very well known brands and I just cannot believe that nobody is answering my email, so I called. The person on the phone apologies saying the the owner was responding to emails. I told her that they should remove their email address if nobody was doing follow up because it's frustrating for clients, and no good for their image. Anyway, I ask for the owner to call me back, since Glycine had giving me his name as a reference. He called me, apologies also and then told me he would find out how much it would cost and call me back. So, I'm now ready to give them an other chance, since it's the only way I see my watch becoming a Purist! One week, no news. After 1 month trying to get a price, I sent an email, but now, I'm really, really pisted and it's the end. Their is no way these clowns will touch my watch. Here is the email I sent after i've been ignored for over a month:

Well, it seems obvious that you are not interested in working on my watch since I still do not have any estimate or news from you after over a month and. I will contact Glycine to see if they can refer me a more professional place to work on my watch. I think it's a shame that a place like yours that represents all those prestigious brands, has such a bad costumer service. Really, you are lucky to be still in business if this is the service you give to all your customers. Not only have you never responded to my first three emails, but you never got back to me as promised for an estimate. I guess that you are so much on top of your game that you can chose your customers, for sure, to do an hour job on a watch for a few $$$ is not very interesting. The thing is that I'm a watch collector and spend thousands of dollars every year, just in watches. Just too bad, cause you will not get my business in the future either. And I'm also active member on Watchuseek.com (the biggest watch forum on the net) and other important watch forums. It will be my pleasure to write my adventure with your store so every single member of these sites (thousands of persons) among which, a lot are from Toronto, never do business with your store.

So again, thanks for nothing but wasting my time!

Daniel
    Ok, it might be rude a bit, but when he read that, I think a light came on in his mind. It took 5 minutes before I received an email from his Blackberry. He, of course apologies again and blah, blah, blah. He told me that he would not charge me labor to do the work and that he would get back to me by tomorrow with a price to do the mod. His price, $265 WTF! Ok, it's not even funny anymore, I sent an email saying that Glycine had told me it was way cheaper, without mentioning the price they gave me. He told me he would check again. Anyway, to make a already long story shorter , I wanted so much to have the mod done that, like an idiot, I sent my watch out to Solaris Jewelery. It took another month of no news from them, no call back, then an email saying the dial was coming in but... I do not need a dial! I need HANDS!!! One more email to put them back on the track, again. At this point I feel like I'm the professional, this is not normal. After all that, after that rage and feeling like an idiot because i sent the watch to them, I get a phone call saying the watch is ready! Man, I cannot believe it, it's only 9 weeks! Anyway, I was ready to be hit with a nice bill, even if I didn't have to pay for labor. So they tell me that they use Fedex only (which I hate because they are crooks) and it's $30 for shipping overnight and..............$60 for the hands. For the first time in 9 weeks, I had a smile on my face $90 was not something i was wxpecting. I didn't care about the $30 for shipping, I didn't care for all the crap I had gone through, I just wanted my watch and see if it was not scratched, had dust under the crystal. I got the watch the day after and to my surprised, the watch was perfect! They had taken care of it, I couldn't see any marks on the case back, no dust under the crystal, I'm soooooo happy now that it's all over and on my wrist, so happy that at the end I have the watch I wanted and my deal still a good deal! So happy that I will never deal with them anymore because they have the worst CS, even if they have a good watchmaker, such a shame though.

Thanks to everybody who took the time to read my book, I feel better now tha it's over and I've been enjoying my Glycine SST-06 PURIST very much since it's back form the operation, and it's on my wrist as I right that! Now some pictures of before and after.

Thanks again for reading!

With the GMT hand

Purist Mod without GMT hand, true 24h watch

Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by DM71; December 2nd, 2010 at 02:34.
    ~ Daniel ~

Re: A nightmare that came to an end, at last! (yeah, it's a long story to read!)

You have a beautiful watch and your story was a cliffhanger. The whole time, I thought you weren't gonna end up with what you wanted. But you did. Happy endings are good.
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

Re: A nightmare that came to an end, at last! (yeah, it's a long story to read!)

What a tale to tell for such a beautiful watch! They did a great job on the mod; looks like it came that way from the factory. Too bad you had to ride their case for weeks to get the work done, but in the end it looks like it was worth the wait. Wear it in good health!

Mike

The Collection: Too many to list
    The Wish List: Still too many to list
    The Grail: Bremont ALT1-P (blue dial)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

kew

That's great news, a good story and the watch looks great. I'm surprised Glycine would even agree to turn the watch into a different model in the first place but there you go....
    Nathan

I like the story but I feel like I'm missing something... didn't they just remove the gmt hand? Why would they need to order hands for that?
    Seiko / Orient / Hamilton

Seems like you ended up getting what you wanted at a good price. Right on.

Quote Originally Posted by sl7vk View Post
    I like the story but I feel like I'm missing something... didn't they just remove the gmt hand? Why would they need to order hands for that?
    Or change the gears for that matter. Without the GMT hand, only you'd know it had gears spinning aimlessly.

loved it. we are all a bit obsessive when it come to our watches. I just hope you dont go on vacation soon and wish you had that GMT hand:) ...
    Enjoy
    Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

Instagram: @tophstewart

References
    All liinked in one thread
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f63/my...rs-903425.html

lvt

That's a nice story about someone who fights for what he wants and he finally had it, your perseverence is phenomenal !!!

Congrats Sir !
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Haf

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    That's a nice story about someone who fights for what he wants and he finally had it, your perseverence is phenomenal !!!

Congrats Sir !
    The story sure is nice alright, but the perseverance part might be interpreted by some folks as too much for nothing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information