No Discounts on Certain Brands at ADs?
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: No Discounts on Certain Brands at ADs?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

No Discounts on Certain Brands at ADs?

So I was at the big flagship Tourneau in NYC a few weeks ago trying in some watches. They were offering a discount on basically every Brad besides Cartier. Now I know certain watches like the Rolex Daytona or Batman don't get discounted, but I had never heard of an entire brand having no discount at all. Was curious if anybody else has run into it. Is this the case w Cartier everywhere or is this unique to this location?

Thanks
    Mike

Re: No Discounts on Certain Brands at ADs?

Never really been impressed with the sales people there. I surprised there were offering any discounts besides on pre-owned watches.

Iíve been offered discounts on Cartier before. Never took them up on it since Iíve never personally liked the styling of Cartier. I suggest you go talk to a different AD.
    My Watch Pics (IG) ---> CLICK HERE
    Sales Forum Feedback History ---> CLICK HERE

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

So... did you actually want a Cartier or is this just out of curiosity? If they can sell it at retail, they aren't compelled to discount to get inventory out the door. I've seen most non-WIS women default to a Cartier Tank as their expensive watch just like men flock to the Rolex DateJust.
    Davidka likes this.
    the five stages of a watch flipper
    infatuation
    appropriation acquisition justification resale

Tourneau is notorious for sticking with full retail price. In my experience, you can usually get some type of discount on most brands. I’m not sure what ADs you have left in NEPA, but I bet you’ll have a better shot at getting a discount at a small, local, independent retailer than a national chain. There used to be a place called Bartakowski in Wilkes Barre that was awesome to deal with, but I think they’re now gone.

Pretty much to policy there since the Wexler familiar sold Tourneau to a holding company about 8 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seaswirl View Post
    Tourneau is notorious for sticking with full retail price. In my experience, you can usually get some type of discount on most brands. I’m not sure what ADs you have left in NEPA, but I bet you’ll have a better shot at getting a discount at a small, local, independent retailer than a national chain. There used to be a place called Bartakowski in Wilkes Barre that was awesome to deal with, but I think they’re now gone.
    Seaswirl and bb-man like this.

When I was looking to buy my Oris Aquis Torneau had the older model as well as the new model side by side. They wouldnít even discount the outgoing model at all for me. I walked into a smaller store and she offered me 25% off the newer mode Aquis without me even asking.
    I agree with the above suggestion that itís better to deal with smaller ADs than national chains.

I donít think you can say with any certainty that Cartier wonít be discounted. I think itís just on a case by case store by store basis. Iíve had one Rolex AD tell me that they never discount and would lose their license if they did, while another Rolex AD gave me a substantial discount when I ordered two watches at once from them.
    Last edited by Silent; November 23rd, 2017 at 04:17.
    • Seiko SARX033
    • Oris Aquis
    • Rolex Daytona 116500
    • Rolex Submariner 116610LN

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Pretty much to policy there since the Wexler familiar sold Tourneau to a holding company about 8 years ago.
    I have noticed on their website that from time to time they’ll have a lot of pre-owned inventory of particular watches that are either hard to move, i.e., precious metal versions, or models about to be discontinued. Do ADs take new stock and deem it pre-owned in order to move them at a discount?

Yep, when there's a change in model line such as case size. Maurice Lacroix - Prontos is a good example. I think they went from 39 to 41mm and were sold as "pre-own".
    Quote Originally Posted by Seaswirl View Post
    I have noticed on their website that from time to time they’ll have a lot of pre-owned inventory of particular watches that are either hard to move, i.e., precious metal versions, or models about to be discontinued. Do ADs take new stock and deem it pre-owned in order to move them at a discount?
    Seaswirl and harryst like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Yep, when there's a change in model line such as case size. Maurice Lacroix - Prontos is a good example. I think they went from 39 to 41mm and were sold as "pre-own".
    Interesting, a few weeks back, I noticed quite a few “pre-owned” current model Rolex Cellinis as well and there were an absolute ton of various Omega PO 8500s this past summer, all at steep discounts.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information