No more lurking.

Thread: No more lurking.

No more lurking.

I have been a daily visitor to this forum for a few months now and have really enjoyed everyone's opinions and input. It has been a great learning experience.

I think it is time to start contributing.

First a little background. Up until about 6 months ago I had owned 3 watches as an adult over the span of about 16 years; an Esquire, Guess and Seiko, all decent, functional quartz watches that served their purpose. I was always a "one watch guy" and replaced each one (in the order listed) when a repair wasn't worth the trouble so I just bought another watch. A while back I started having issues with the strap on the Seiko (which by the way has been the same and only issue I have had with each of these watches) so I started thinking about a new watch. I had in the past always just picked out the watch I liked best from the local department or jewelry store. This time I surfed. I discovered TX watches on Amazon and loved the look (this was my main criteria at the time). Ordered a 500 Series World Time. When the watch arrived and I opened the package I was blown away by how gorgeous this thing was. And I was hooked. I went back to the net and discovered a whole new appreciation for timepieces. In a fairly short period of time I have bought (a couple from great WUS members), kept and returned a number of watches. I have settled into a rotation of 7 watches both quartz and automatics as well as an array of straps. The really fun part of it is that I know this is an ongoing process and my collection today will be different in a year from now and years after that (hell it may be different next week).

A few things I have learned in a short period of time (much more to learn, I know):

• Automatic watches rock
    • There's nothing wrong with a well-made quartz
    • There is an unbelievable number of awesome watch companies out there
    • Have your new prize delivered to the office (don't give her yet another reason to question why the hell she should stick around)

Oh, and the Esquire, Guess and Seiko I mentioned earlier? Still got them, unsellable. Re-strapped the Seiko, it's a good beater. The Esquire and Guess currently reside with a heap of crap on my workbench in the garage. Been there for a few years now. The straps are busted and the crystals look like they have been used as knife sharpeners. The funny thing is they just won't die. Apart from DST, they are both pretty much bang on time-wise. On an unrelated note, I have a few beautiful vintage watches for sale.

Looking forward to sharing my new-found obsession with the group.

Re: No more lurking.

Welcome! Glad you have decided to add to the discussion.
    Regards Cam

welcome the forum - good to see you have an appreciation of watches as well as an open mind (automatic - quartz)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by orpheous View Post
    • Automatic watches rock
    • There's nothing wrong with a well-made quartz
    • There is an unbelievable number of awesome watch companies out there
    • Have your new prize delivered to the office (don't give her yet another reason to question why the hell she should stick around)

Couldn't agree more
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

well it's about time

welcome and enjoy our little corner of the interweb.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    Couldn't agree more
    +1 here!
    Welcome to the forum, and enjoy your stay!

cheers,
    Jake.
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Breitling SuperOcean
    Bremont MBII
    Bremont ALT1-P
    Casio G-Shock Aviator GW-3000B
    Omega Seamaster 2541.80
    Seiko Black Monster
    Seiko SKX007
    Suunto Core "All Black"
    Suunto Core Alpine Edition
    Suunto Vector
    Tissot Sea-Touch.

"When the weight of the paper equals the weight of the airplane, only then you can go flying."

HI, and welcome to the forums.

I am in Calgary too!

I started this madness about a year ago and started with cheap Chinese watches and Citizen Eco-drives (nice Quartz watches), and then moved up to Hamilton and other $500 autos until just a little while ago I had 3 Omegas. I think it takes a bit of time to cycle through all the different watches and brands before you get to know your preferences and what size of collection you are comfortable with. I tried consolidating my collection down to 4-5 but that wasn't for me so I am going to stay around 8-9 for the immediate future.

Yes, you are right that the collection today will be different than the one a year from now...or even a month from now. But that is the whole fun of this hobby.
    Anyway thanks to these forums I learned about awesome watches like Stowa, Sinn, Damasko, and japanese market Seikos

The more you read the forums the more watches you find out that you didn't know you had to have!
    Current collection: Tudor BB 36 |MKII Hawkinge| Seiko SARB017 | Seiko SARB035 | Seiko SBDC053| Seiko SBDC059|Seiko SBDC061| Stowa Antea KS
    wishlist: ​Seiko SBDC065, Sinn EZM 3f, Sinn 856 UTC, Sinn 356 Flieger II, Damasko DC56, Tudor Black Bay Fifty-eight, Sinn 556 i Blue

Welcome to the forum! Good story.
    Rolex Submariner
    Zenith Chronomaster XT Open El Primero

Omega Seamaster James Bond 007 Limited Edition
    Kobold Comanche
    Helson Sharkmaster
    Sinn U1
    Alpina Extreme Diver

Maurice Lacroix Miros
    Ball B&O First Mile

Edox Classe Royale Open Heart Automatic
    Shinola Brakeman 46

Luminox 3000 Navy Seal Diver
    Hamilton Khaki Navy Sub
    Seiko Black Monster
    Citizen Ecozilla
    Deep Blue Sunray Diver 1k
    and various other makes and models

Welcome to WUS!! As you are finding out, it is going to be a fun ride that can be expensive. I started as a 3 or 4 watch guy a few years ago, and now I have near 60. I see no end in sight. Between my watches and 30+ clocks I will never wonder what time it is.
    Last edited by Oilers Fan; September 9th, 2011 at 06:00.

Hey Orpheous, I haven't been lurking long but like you have learned quite a bit from this community in a short amount of time. This is place is great!

Thread Information