JeanRichard Terrascope: Is It Nocturnal?

Today we take a look at a new JeanRichard Terrascope. As you may already know, JeanRichard prides itself on how customizable their watches are--if you like a particular JR design, but wish it had some slight difference, JR probably already makes the watch your envisioning. This new Terrascope isn't technically part of their Nocturnal Adventures collection, but I think it's best grouped in with them stylistically. The combination of the grey dial with the black DLC bezel definitely gives it a tactical flair.

The Introduction

The Terrascope is JeanRichard's main watch line, the one that has the broadest appeal. It's their Datejust or their Aqua Terra, if you will--the three hander with a date. So it makes sense that they would design so many different versions of it. Because of the complex case design, different elements can be replaced with different materials, finishes or coatings, and like any watch, the dial and hands can be changed up. JeanRichard took that idea and ran with it. This is one of their best results.

The Face

JeanRichard specializes in making really cool, really pretty watches--they are best known for their aesthetics, and this is one of their coolest looking watches out there. This particular iteration combines several different elements to create a very bold design--namely, the dark grey dial, the gold hands and indices, and the black DLC bezel is a combination of artistic touches rarely seen elsewhere.

There is a new collection of JeanRichards this year called the Nocturnal Adventures set and I'm a big fan of them, particularly the new 1681. This model is not a member of that collection, but it could easily join them--the watch has a very tactical feel to it, thanks to that grey dial and black bezel.

Despite its tactical appearance, gold accents are used via the hands and indices that actually dress the watch up a bit. This is a really nice touch because, unlike most JR dials, this one isn't textured, so adding a little visual eccentricity with very bright gold accents really keeps the watch from coming off as flat.

I'm a big fan of JR's dialwork, particularly their vertical brushed finishes. This watch goes for a more tactical look, so gone is the brushed dial, in is a much more matte grey. Personally, I still prefer the textured dials available in other models, but I will say that this really compliments the new "tactical" look that 2014's JeanRichards seem to be going for.

The bezel, however, retains their trademark vertical brushed finish, which looks fantastic as always. This time around it's even cooler, however, because its on a black DLC coating. Black DLC accents play a big role with JeanRichard's 2014 lineup, and they look awesome. The big, bold Terrascope bezel invariably draws comparisons with famous Genta designs of the past, such as the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak. I think it's really the bezel, along with the cushion case, that make this watch such a good candidate for tactical styling.

A black date wheel is used, further complimenting the murdered out look.

The hands are also highly polished gold, but are otherwise of the standard Terrascope variety. That means they're quite large and hold a ton of lume. This is enough lume for a good dive watch and the hand shapes make it really legible at night. I also really like the red tipped seconds hand, another Terrascope staple--it keeps the watches a tad playful.

The Case

The case is probably JeanRichard's most recognizable feature, and not just within the Terrascope lineup. Almost all of their watches utilize their now familiar cushion case design. But their case is more sophisticated than it at first appears. It's actually composed of many different parts.

It's because of this case complexity that JeanRichard can offer so much variety in their lineup. Each specific component of a case, because it starts life out as an independent piece, is very easy to finish or coat separately, or to use alternative materials, like titanium, aluminum or gold. As a result, you see a dizzying array of possibilities from JR, only one of which is in front of us today.

More of JR's popular vertical brushing is found alongside the case and the result looks amazing.

That style continues to the other side of the case, where we find the beautiful signed JR crown.

The crown is large and easy to use. Surprisingly, given how large and tough the watch looks, and like all Terrascopes, the crown does not screw down. Still, this doesn't hurt its 100 meter water resistance rating. As frequent readers already know, I actually prefer non-screw down crowns, so this isn't an issue for me, but the almost diver-esque styling of the Terrascope may confuse some. You can, of course, get a great looking JeanRichard diver with a screw down crown, you'll just need to go to their Aquascope line to do it. ,

The Terrascope uses very short, stubby lugs. I actually prefer this design to the elongated ones that are somewhat fashionable today, especially on a large 44mm watch like this one. The short lugs don't really make the watch look any smaller, but they prevent any overhang off the wrist, making the watch much more comfortable.

Like all Terrascopes, a steel case back is used. It features a huge JR seal and looks great. I also appreciate how flat it wears. Still, I feel like this is a missed opportunity to show off its JR60/Sellita SW200 movement, which isn't bad looking at all. Unfortunately, fans of display backs will have to save up for one of their in house JR1000 models, like the new 1681 Nocturnal.

The Strap

I'm a big fan of JeanRichard's straps and bracelets in general, and you can get either on your Terrascope. I really recommend their bracelets for how they look and their rubber straps for how they wear. Somewhere in between those is this lovely brown calfskin strap.

This is a really casual looking strap and it wears very comfortably. JeanRichard likes a lot of flexibility in their straps, be they leather or rubber, and this one carries on that preference. It requires no break in time at all to be comfortable and it really suits the quasi-tactical look of the watch. For comfort, I'd stick with this calfskin, but for looks, I'd also recommend you consider their bracelet--their bracelet is one of the best looking in the industry.

After what seems like weeks of reviewing watches that only come on buckles, I'm finally treated to an excellent deployant. It's very easy to adjust and looks great.

The Conclusion

What we have is another great model in a long line of very cool Terrascopes. I really like this particular incarnation, although I think my absolute favorite is still probably the blue dial I reviewed earlier. Nonetheless, I like this direction for JeanRichard, with their entire new Nocturnal Collection, and their almost-Nocturnal siblings like this model.

The Terrascope occupies an interesting position in the watch business because it remains one of the absolutely most customizable luxury watches out there. You might be saying to yourself "I really like this watch but I wish it didn't have gold hands and indices." Well good news, you can get it like that. What if you don't want the black bezel? What if you'd rather have an all black case? Maybe you'd prefer a white dial? How about a green one? Would you like that on a bracelet? Rubber? With JeanRichard, you really only need imagine what you want and it's likely they have something very, very close to what you designed in your head.

If you liked this particular model, I'd also recommend you check out the JeanRichard section at www.timelessluxwatches.com/brands/jean-richard and don't just look at the Terrascope--check out the 1681, Aquascope and Aeroscope as well. Specifically, pay attention to the new Nocturnal Adventures collection, which follows the theme of giving the watches an almost mil-spec look. Personally, I'd recommend the 1681 Nocturnal. http://www.timelessluxwatches.com/brands/jeanrichard/1681/central-second... . We've got a lot of exciting new JeanRichards coming for 2014, from these Nocturnal-esque models, to new textured dials like the Hokusai, so stay tuned for those.

So what do you think, does this new Terrascope belong in the Nocturnal Adventures collection?

The Video

Check out our video of the Terrascope in action here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE4Ttv3qzhE