Nomos Club Campus vs Oris Pointer Date - 36mm birthday gift

Poll: Nomos Club Campus vs Oris Pointer Date 36mm

Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Nomos Club Campus vs Oris Pointer Date - 36mm birthday gift

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    pmt

Nomos Club Campus vs Oris Pointer Date - 36mm birthday gift

Hello everyone,

since my 28th birthday is coming and I would like to celebrate it this year properly (28 is an important number for me), I decided to buy myself a watch. I have spent weeks reading and disqualifying multiple amazing suggestions I found on the forum and finally distilled my choices to the following two:
    Nomos Club Campus 709

Oris Big Crown Pointer Date 36mm (I do not exclude the bronze version)

My criteria were the following:
    1. price under EUR 1500
    2. case diameter under 37mm
    3. appropriate for everyday use as a primary watch (possibility to dress up or down, but considering that 90% of my time I spent in casual outfits)
    4. not too flashy, but interesting dial
    5. possibly interesting movement/complication (Nomos Alpha is sort of in-house, while Oris has quite uncommon pointer date complication)
    6. well ageing design
    7. not a diver

The possibilities I considered were:

• Montblanc Heritage Ultraslim - was too dressy
    • Nomos Club - pretty uniteresting, but trying it on helped me realise I will need 36mm version
    • Sinn 556 - I believe it will quickly get boring (had similar impression with Damasko)
    • Seiko SARX029 “Urushi” - has everything, but the movement was not as impressive as in the two selected above
    • Stowa Partitio or Antea - it is difficult to find anything against these two
    • Longines Conquest Heritage - cool vintage look, just a bit "too vintage"

Which one would you choose and why? I am also open to other suggestions if I missed anything while researching.

Banned

Re: Nomos Club Campus vs Oris Pointer Date - 36mm birthday gift

Besides the 2 mentioned my first thought was a Stowa. After that I’d also check out the Muhle 29er midsize, the Archimede Klassik 36 and also maybe try some used watches like an Omega Aqua Terra or Speedy Reduced. Personally I’d buy a Stowa or Nomos
    pmt likes this.

I really like that green dial Oris. However I don't know how that would be perceived in Polska.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

pmt

@City74 Thank you for the reply and great suggestions.

I did not fully disqualify Stowa Partitio, which is I believe the most frequently mentioned alternative for Nomos Club and basically checks almost all of my boxes as well.

As for Mühle, I checked out 29er online and from the specs it looked extremely interesting, just the aesthetic of this model and the brand itself is not really speaking to me. I got the opportunity to check out one of my colleague's Mühle Teutonia and it is clearly a quality product, but the design seemed very dry and technical to me.

I was not aware of the existence of Archimede Classic, I only checked out the Outdoor series before and disqualified it as too big. The Classics do look quite nice and I see the design as totally universal, but I already own a Laco Valencia, which at first sight seems quite similar. Moreover, as a dress watch I normally wear a Junkers homage to Junghans Max Bill and was actually considering differentiating this slowly developing collection. Although, I grew to really like Bauhaus styled watches, I am slowly getting scared of ending up with a bunch of German-only minimalistic designs.

The used watches are certainly a great suggestion, Omega Aqua Terra being more likely of the two you mentioned considering the price. I am a bit afraid though that buying used at this price range would be pretty risky, as I would most likely end up with a watch around 20-30 years old, which could force me to spend way over budget for repair and servicing... Call me risk averse, but I love having extended warranty on my purchases.

Have you tried any of these on in person? I have found nomos, no models, to sit my wrist well regardless of how much I may like them. Just make sure that you absolutely have a chance to try them on first!
    Glashütte Senator Sixties Panodate Green
    Rolex Milgauss Z Blue
    Triton Subphotique blue
    Sinn U1 T
    Casio G-Shock full metal steel

I voted Nomos because I never vote Oris! Just a personal thing. Plus, Nomos is highly regarded by watchmakers, including some ol' dude named Philippe Dufour.
    Are you a musician who lived beyond age 27, and feel like commemorating the moment? Not that it's any of my business, nor do you need to commemorate anything to add a Nomos to your wrist!

pmt

@41Mets

Yeah, I have tried Nomos, Montblanc, Longines and Seiko in person. I recently located an official Oris retailer nearby (I no longer live in Poland and should have updated my profile), unfortunately, I couldn't visit them yet - hope to do that within the upcoming week.

I definitely agree with the "trying before buying" policy, especially with Nomos and their unusual proportion of lug length to the entire case size. While trying on Nomos Club I realised that 38mm one that I initially wanted was way too big for me, but the 36mm one was sitting on my wrist perfectly. Got to try the Metro as well, which I really liked on the pictures, but somehow it did not seem right on me, since it came out fairly big and flat.

@Time Exposure
    Haha, not a musician, but an engineer. I see your point with Nomos though.

Stowa, all day every day. But I would also consider the marine 36.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    pmt likes this.

Nomos club 38mm. It is all about the "bauhaus."
    DiverBob likes this.

I've actually owned both. They are both lovely pieces. I had the 36mm manual wind Club. I loved the simplicity of the dial although I was slightly disappointed that the red hands were nowhere near as bright as depicted in photos. Those long lugs were a problem for me. Seeing my hairy arms through the gap was something I just couldn't ignore. I did manage to reduce the problem slightly by fitting an orange aftermarket canvass strap which really lifted the look of the watch and reduced the visible gap. I had the Black, although it looked more soft brown to me, Oris big crown pointer also in the 36mm size. The watch definitely felt of a higher quality than the Nomos. Detailing was spot on. The coin edge bezel and the red date pointer really made the watch for me. The original strap is definitely designed with women in mind and would only just fit round my 7inch wrist. The screw down crown was also a plus over the Club which despite having better water resistance only had a push in. Of the two I would say the the Oris is a nicer watch.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
    pmt and RickHoliday like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information