WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Nomos Tetra Neomatik or Zenith New Vintage 1965 ?

8K views 28 replies 22 participants last post by  ymanchik 
#1 ·
Here is an interesting face off. Similar slim proportions, similar price (if you take the Zenith from a popular grey market dealer), both inhouse movement. One from a young disruptor brand, one from a prestigious house that tends to fly under the radar.
Which would you take and why?

Nomos Tetra Neomatik

Zenith New Vintage 1965

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm not a date window hater by any means, but the date window on that Zenith is a watch wrecker. I do like the gray dial, but the Nomos wins this match-up.

Reactions: Perseus and TLN
#16 ·
I do believe that was the single reason the watch didnt do well. Its actually quite nice in person otherwise and the proportions are good, but that date wheel...ugh I've seen it in the Tag Outlets as well. Ashford has been trying to blow it out for years now.

The Tetra's is very artsy, youthful and modern looking compared to the more old school look of the Zenith, but IMO the Zenith is made to a higher standard. It depends on what you are looking for style wise cos other than case shape they are quite different.

THat said, about a year ago, Ashford did this -
Zenith New Vintage 1965 Leather Band Men's Automatic Watch $1988 at Ashford
If they still have em in stock, I'd expect them to hit close to that price point again this year, so I'd hold for that.
For that price, I'd say get the Zenith over the Nomos. Also Ashfords warranty on Zenith is quite solid, you can read about it on WUS on other threads.

#5 ·
Nomos. Trimmer bezel, just a bit larger combine to be a much more open dial. No date...I've yet to see a square case with a date window that isn't really out of whack. The Nomos is also notably thinner.
Also, this:

That's 2 years old, I'll grant...and the situation may have changed. But I'd want to check on that before I went with the Zenith. Honestly, if they're going to move away from the Elite, I'd rather get one with a Sellita...that can be serviced just about anywhere.

But make mine the nachtblau. White??? Who needs another white dial??? :)

#9 ·
I am a big fan of Zenith, having owned a Zenith watch and handled and tried on several others. I have never personally seen or held a Nomos, but am a big fan, based on my reading. I would, out of these two, lean towards the Nomos, mainly because it would be brand new, and have no date feature.

#18 ·
I would go for the Zenith. I prefer the depth of the applied indices and brushed dial to the flat dial of the Nomos. Plus, I don't think the Tetra really works. Simplicity is the strength of Nomos pseudo bauhaus designs. A square watch by its nature conflicts with simplicity.

#20 ·
I'm not going to answer the question directly as both are quality watches from solid brands with excellent movements...
However, a more important question - have you tried them on? Square watches can be rather difficult to pull off and wrist size and shape can make them look great or just awful. They wear large and lug placement is unpredictable on the wrist. I would caution against either purchase without first trying it on.

I tried Nomos Tetra and i looked ridiculous (not quality\movement, just look on the wrist). On the other hand I tried Chr Ward Slimline Square and it looked decent, purely due to angle smoothness and lug design.

#22 ·
Never seen the Zenith, but I don't really like the Tetra. It's feels a lot thicker than it really is and the proportions are awkward. They are also just nowhere near as nice to the touch or eyes as you would expect from the pictures. At least that what I thought.

#26 · (Edited)
Thanks all. I may have fallen for the sexy freshness of the Tetra, BUT meanwhile i could get my hands on 1990s square zenith with Elite in good condition with an official service done, for a really good price below $800, hence much less than one of the 2 new beauties. And I expect resellable without loss if I don't like it.

It is this model (not my pictures, I will post my pictures when I get it):

#27 ·
Nice! Congratulations!

#28 ·
Here is an update. I received my 1990s square Elite based Zenith. In very nice and properly serviced condition, I think a lovely elegant dress watch. I'll be honest, side by side I would prefer the Tetra, but this pre-loved Zenith is also pretty and classy and cost me literally 20% of a new Tetra neomatik.

Nicely thin and refined and the square shape wears indeed much larger than one would expect when looking at the numbers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.