NON ETA luxury watches??!!!
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: NON ETA luxury watches??!!!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thumbs Up NON ETA luxury watches??!!!

Having flicked through the 'smoke and mirrors' thread and having been fully aware of my Tudor prince oysterdate having an eta movement, along with a large quantity of my watches it seems, i was wondering if anyone can tell me which luxury watches use movements which are entirely their own?

I presume Patek Philippe do, as do Vacheron Constantin, but who else? The older Rolex datejust movements are original or eta based? some seemed to have been Piguet?

Are my vintage 50s Omegas eta based?? I hope not and believe the contrary to be correct anyway. 685 etc.....

Thanks, good collecting to you all!!!

Re: NON ETA luxury watches??!!!

There are more non-ETA watches than ETA ones - far too many to list. Japanese, Chinese, Russian...even if you specified Swiss and 'luxury' (over, say, £1000) there are too many.

As for movements which are 'entirely in house' well that's a tough one. Do they make their own hairsprings, balance wheels etc? They probably use Incabloc shocks. My Nomos is '75-95%' made by them.

I forget which but there's one movement that PP, VC and AP have all used so its not in house.

Your 50s Omega isn't ETA-based.

Based in South east asia, travelling between

There are too many to name, whats your price range?

Some examples: JLC, Rolex, PP, VC, AP, Breguet, Blancpain, RM, Lange, etc etc.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Yes I know what you mean, but I am talking specifically of Swiss watches, big name brands, high end, top notch etc.

Nardin, Patek, Lange, LeCoultre, Muller, and moderately high end stuff like Eberhard and Zenith.

I dont know how to respond ref budget, not more than say £3k and I mean vintage, dont think I can quite stand modern watches tbh.

Thanks

WnS

Yes, Christopher Ward has a mono-pusher chronograph with a JJ02 movement. It's actually a super modified Unitas 6497 with chronograph module.

Swiss Made Single pusher chronograph by Christopher Ward C900

Also, Ball watches use Soprod movements, the base movement has similarities with ETA but they often have add-on modules like Power Reserve.
    I'm content with my watch collection

Quote Originally Posted by oldwatches View Post
    Thanks

Yes I know what you mean, but I am talking specifically of Swiss watches, big name brands, high end, top notch etc.

Nardin, Patek, Lange, LeCoultre, Muller, and moderately high end stuff like Eberhard and Zenith.

I dont know how to respond ref budget, not more than say £3k and I mean vintage, dont think I can quite stand modern watches tbh.

Thanks
    Sorry - only vintage? Most vintage watches aren't ETA-based.

Quote Originally Posted by oldwatches View Post
    Are my vintage 50s Omegas eta based?? I hope not and believe the contrary to be correct anyway. 685 etc.....
    Well, of course, ETA as we think of it didn't always exist. I have a Venus based chrono that is a direct precursor to the Valjoux 7750 (plus Valjoux but Venus, ETA bought Valjoux). Does that count?

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but, I just don't get what is wrong with ETA to begin with? I have found their movements to be well-built, workhorses keeping good time, requiring little maintenance and being ubiquitous in a way that the infrequently needed repair is neither hard to have done nor expensive. All good things in my book. I did not read the full Smoke and Mirror threads, but did read the OP for each of them. The point of them, seems to me, is that the consumer (ETA's consumer, not the watch consumer) is guilty of perceived wrong doing.

After a similar conversation in another thread where I defended ETA about something else I am sure I'm sticking my foot in it, but I really just don't understand.

Hi

Yes I prefer vintage, but up to the 80s...ETA were used then, my Tudor has one. its fine, I am not against ETA I am merely pointing out that I dont wish to pay for just a case and a brand, the innards must be unique enough to the brand/watch.

My Tudor loses time. I have 3 Omega manual winds, 50s, they dont really lose time at all.

But I am not too worried about precision, just about getting what I paid for really. What about Omega now we're on the topic?? the aquaterra used an eta too, and is probably too modern for my tastes. Perhaps a seamaster 300 vintage is the way to go, bit big though.....nice watch but large.

Cheerio, thanks again

Banned

With Vintage we mean watches made pre Quartz.

Most brands used a movement they bought from somebody else. In fact, most brands were made by assemblers in those days. The brands are too numerous to list, and many were country specific.

Tudor has always used a non Rolex movement.
    Jaeger leCoultre not only made/make movements for own use, but they also supply to others, incl PP.
    Last edited by Janne; February 17th, 2013 at 19:26.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post

I forget which but there's one movement that PP, VC and AP have all used so its not in house. .
    Jaeger leCoultre.

Btw, leCoultre was a movement manufacturer, then they merged with Jaeger to form JLC.
    For the US market they cased Le Coutre movements in the US to avoid certain taxes. Those movements were usually branded "non adjusted" but this was a lie, they were fully adjusted.
    Again, to lower the import taxes.

Happy days......today they would be cought in a fortnight!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information