Noob exeprience with automatic (Parnis vs Seiko vs Orient)
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Noob exeprience with automatic (Parnis vs Seiko vs Orient)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Noob exeprience with automatic (Parnis vs Seiko vs Orient)

Dear all,
    just want to share my experience/findings on three automatic watches that I owned. I understand that automatic watches have a certain degree of +/- in seconds in regards to accuracy. Having said that here are my experience and hopefully someone can shed some lights on some of the behaviors that I found on these watches

First up is my Parnis:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1974.JPG 
Views:	1024 
Size:	654.0 KB 
ID:	5550426 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1978.JPG 
Views:	1013 
Size:	689.6 KB 
ID:	5550538

Have the watch for a week, wears it daily for about 8-10 hrs/day with light activities and the watch is loosing about 40-50 seconds a day . Reading other Parnis' owners out here, they seemed to have better luck with these watches in regards to accuracy. So, I decided to take the watch to a watchmaker to get it regulated. He tinker with it and uses a machine that sounded like a cash register and spits out a paper with dotted pattern (I can only see him from behind the counter). Maybe someone here knows what its called
    Tried the watch for a week and it is now gaining about 40 secs/day . Brought it back to him, get it regulated again, tried another week and I'm now loosing about 20 secs/day. I think I'm getting close here
    Brought it back again to him and told him that I would rather have the watch run a bit faster than going slow - rather go to my meetings/appointments earlier than late. After the third try, the watch is gaining about 20 secs/day. He's nice enough to only charge me once for $20 to regulate the watch the first time. I also tried to position the watch differently every night (first noob experience and for not being patient) and it does not seem to make any difference. One day, I've decided to put the watch in one position for consecutive days (crown down) and noticed that it's stop gaining...after 2 weeks of wearing the watch, it's stop gaining . It's still fast but not getting faster as the first week I was wearing it. After two weeks of wearing the watch, it gains about 2 mins. One weekend, I didn't wear the watch for about 18 hrs (left it crown down) and it slowed down for about 2 mins and 20 secs It basically corrected itself and loosing 20 secs. I notice when I start wearing the watch, it starts gaining again and eventually faster and back to the average of 20 secs/day.

It seems that the watch starts slowing down when it starts loosing "power" - is it true for automatic watch?

Next is my Seiko 5:

Name:	IMG_1975.JPG 
Views:	1018 
Size:	730.9 KB 
ID:	5550490 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1977.JPG 
Views:	1010 
Size:	687.3 KB 
ID:	5550546

I compared it with my Parnis and to my surprise it also gains as fast as the Parnis I thought it may be better just because it's a Seiko and should have a better quality. So, I went on my 2nd experiment with my Seiko. Set the time - can't be too accurate since it does not hack and starts wearing it daily. One thing that I found different with the Seiko, is that when I put it crown down, after use, the accuracy stays, i.e. the variance is so small compare to my Parnis. This position seems to work on my Seiko.

Last but not least is my Orient:

Name:	IMG_1976.JPG 
Views:	1005 
Size:	662.0 KB 
ID:	5550498 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1979.JPG 
Views:	994 
Size:	769.4 KB 
ID:	5550554

This to my surprise is the most accurate than the other two - regardless the position. It may somehow impact it but the variance is also small regardless what position I put the watch in.

All in all it's been a great experience owning an automatic. I never really involved in my watches before but it's kind of fun getting to know your watch closely

Name:	IMG_1972.JPG 
Views:	1015 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	5550506

So, share your thoughts and comments and thank you for reading.
    Orex and rdoder like this.

Re: Noob exeprience with automatic (Parnis vs Seiko vs Orient)

this was a very emojinal experience.
    Domo, X2-Elijah, rfortson and 4 others like this.
    "A man with one watch knows what time it is, a man with two watches is never quite sure."

My Omega runs +0.5 second per day no matter the position or power reserve. Also had a Mido that was pretty good at +2 s/d. Didn't notice position or power reserve effects since it was always on my wrist. So this shows that good precision and accuracy can be had over a wide price range. Also I had a more expensive watch that would run slower when the power reserve was half way down or so.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have had similar experiences with some Seikos and ETAs.
    I did some Googling and bought some cheap tools from eBay. Then I regulated them myself over a week or so, this produced some very accurate results.
    I normally wear my watches 24/7, so I regulated each watch to my lifestyle.
    Maybe it's worth a try if you're a little handy.

Very nice! All you need to do is swap out the Parnis for a Citizen and you'll have what I like to refer to as "The holy trinity of watchmaking"
    u2bdet, rfortson and luth_ukail like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tissotguy View Post
    He tinker with it and uses a machine that sounded like a cash register and spits out a paper with dotted pattern (I can only see him from behind the counter). Maybe someone here knows what its called
    A.. punch-card computing device?
    Nomos Club Datum 733
    San Martin Damascus Radiomir
    + always on wrist: Fitbit Inspire HR

Nice looking trio youv'e snagged.
    tissotguy likes this.

Save some dough and regulate these things yourself. I picked up a new skx173 a few months ago and it lost 35 seconds a day. I cracked it open myself and got it to run more accurately than any other auto I owned. These are nice watches but they aren't museum pieces. If something goes wrong you're not going to break the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rfortson likes this.

Very good post! Don't know if I would still call you a Noob :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    tissotguy likes this.
    IWC 3777-10/ Rolex Explorer II 16570/ Tag Monaco Calibre 12/ Longines Heritage Conquest/ Vintage Omega Speedmaster MK II / Baume & Mercier Capeland/ vintage Tag Heuer Professional 1000 Diver/ Apple Watch Series 3 Nike

Previously owned (Most Notable, not all): Omega Seamaster Chrono, Omega Seamaster PO, Omega Speedmaster Panda, Rolex Submariner, Bremont Supermarine s500 Blue, Ball Spacemaster Hydrocarbon, Ball Stormchaser, Ball Madcow, Bell & Ross BR126, Hamilton Jazzmaster, Hamilton Khaki King Pilot, Hamilton Pilot Pioneer Chrono, Hamilton Pan Europ, Tissot Seastar, Tag Carerra CV2010, Perrelet Seacraft Blue, Ball Master Engineer II, Sturhling Tourbillon Grand Emperor,

Parnis, Seiko 5 and Orient Pilot. All of them are within the same price and quality range. No surprise they run similar. If you want better, get an ETA 2824.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information