North Pole Watch Found

Thread: North Pole Watch Found

Boy finds watch after it floats some 2,900 km from North Pole ...

I would love to get my hands on this, or at least see it. I wonder what it is?

Boy finds watch after it floats some 2,900 km from North Pole
    "COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) - A wristwatch buried in the ice at the North Pole three years ago was found by a boy some 2,900 kilometres away after it floated ashore on the Faeroe Islands.

Niels Jakup Mortensen, 11, spotted a black box near his home on Suduroy, the Faeroes' southernmost island, his mother Anna Jacobsen said. Inside, she said, was a watch that had been buried at the North Pole by Joergen Amundsen, a descendant of Norwegian polar explorer Roald Amundsen.

Jacobsen said the watch, discovered by her son earlier this month, was still working, and was accompanied by a letter from Joergen Amundsen. "It was so unbelievable," she said. "It had been buried in the North Pole.""
    http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...cle=1&catnum=9

North Pole Watch Found

Faeroese boy finds working watch buried in ice three years ago at North Pole

29.03.2007Source: AP ©URL: http://english.pravda.ru/society/88801-boy-0
    A wristwatch buried by an adventurer in the ice at the North Pole three years ago was found by a boy more than 3,000 kilometers (1,800 miles) to the south after it floated ashore near his home on the Faeroe Islands, his mother said Thursday.
    Niels Jakup Mortensen, 11, spotted a small black box on March 22 near his home in Famijns, a village of 115 people on Suduroy, the Faeroes' southernmost island, his mother Anna Jacobsen said. Inside the box, Mortensen found a wristwatch buried by Joergen Amundsen, a descendant of famed Norwegian polar explorer Roald Amundsen, during a trek to the North Pole in 2004.

Joergen Amundsen produced 250 copies of a wristwatch he designed to withstand extreme conditions in the Arctic, and buried one of them in memory of his ancestor. Jacobsen said the watch was accompanied by a letter from Amundsen, partly damaged by sea water. She then looked Amundsen up on the Internet, where she found details about the watch, which is working.
    "It was so unbelievable," Jacobsen told The Associated Press. "It had been buried in the North Pole. We discussed it for hours."
    Hjalmar Hatun, an oceanographer with the Faeroese Fisheries Laboratory, said it was "very likely" that the wristwatch had drifted south with one of the chunks of ice that frequently break away at the North Pole and are carried off by the ocean currents.
    The Faeroes, an 18-island Danish territory, are located halfway between Scotland and Iceland.
    Amundsen could not immediately be reached for comment but was quoted by the Faeroese daily Sosialurin as saying the boy could keep the watch. The remaining 249 watches have been put up for sale at an average price of 70,000 kroner (EUR9,400; US$12,550).
    Hatun said the ice breaking off at the North Pole was not related to global warming, as the phenomenon was first observed more than 100 years ago by Norwegian polar explorer Fridtjof Nansen.
    "So in that sense, the fact that objects from the North Pole can drift south is old news," Hatun said.

Ricky
    Last edited by Ricky; March 30th, 2007 at 23:15.

Re: North Pole Watch Found

Neat story Ricky!
    Here's the watch, just a bit overpriced.

http://www.amundsenoslo.com/
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Boy finds watch after it floats some 2,900 km from North Pole ...

"Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Hi Tragic

Thanks for the info. I was wondering what it looked like,

Ricky

Can you say publicity stunt?
    Rotating on my wrist this month: Stowa Blue WatchTime Flieger, Sinn EZM9, Sinn T1, Sinn 556 Blue, Stowa Antea LE Polish Forums, Stowa Verus 40, Damasko DS30 greenie, Sinn U1, Stowa Antea Klassik KS Rose, Nomos Tangente Silvercut

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Atwood View Post
    Can you say publicity stunt?
    My instincts as well. I'm hoping that Snopes might get this straightened out.

FWIW, a 1980s Breitling Navitimer embedded in an asteroid just landed in my backyard. Not only did it not damage my abode, but, strangely, its still ticking and set to my local timezone. If anyone's interested, I'll let it go cheaply before I turn to the 'bay.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeAndAgain View Post
    My instincts as well. I'm hoping that Snopes might get this straightened out.

FWIW, a 1980s Breitling Navitimer embedded in an asteroid just landed in my backyard. Not only did it not damage my abode, but, strangely, its still ticking and set to my local timezone. If anyone's interested, I'll let it go cheaply before I turn to the 'bay.
    OH!!! Please let me bid on that! I want it now!!!

Scott

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

That is an interesting story. Thanks for the link Tragic, as I was also curious as to what the watch looked like.
    "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Thread Information