Not a new watch, just a new look, Seiko Alpinist
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By carlowus

Thread: Not a new watch, just a new look, Seiko Alpinist

Not a new watch, just a new look, Seiko Alpinist

This is not a hefty tool watch, it is not even a diver. It is not large and clunky nor showy. It is not very well known but in my opinion it is one of the best model of watches available around. In fact it might even be a possible watch option for a repeat of a famous Everest expedition... the name says it all, and even though it has nothing to do with the Alps and the famous for their watches small little country nested in there, it is called Alpinist. It's from Seiko and it is made in Japan.

When I first saw it I did not think much of it, then saw it again and saw all three models, the green dialed, cream dialed and black dialed watches. I decided I had to get them all.

At 39mm it is not big by today's standards, but for certain applications it is better. It is light and fits easily under a shirt or sweather. It has a sapphire crystal and it is antimagnetic. It has a screw down crown that allows for 200m WR and legendary Seiko Lume. The movement hacks and hadnwind, being the Seiko 6r15 in house movement. The lines are simple and yet elegant and solid at the same time. The caseback is solid to provide the antimagnetic feature I guess.

I have reviewed these watches before but I just had a different sets of hands installed on the black dialed Aplinist. The original hands are a little on the small side and they are hard to see some times. I did install some other ones earlier but decided that since this is a special watch, it needed to have original parts. So I got these replaced with some original Seiko Alpinist hands from the earlier model. Here is the result.

And here are the other two, the cream dialed one is my favorite....

Metlin, v76, mattjmcd and 1 others like this.

Nice looking watch. So it seems to have a automatic movement and not quartz? Is their a quartz version?

Re: Not a new watch, just a new look, Seiko Alpinist

Very nice change. I love the Alpinists.
    ------------------------------
    Good Dealings: editor9, iam7head, MrH42, curt941, nin9919, twjohnso, gr8sw, ryasja2009, Twistoff, JordanR, chili16, Captain Beefheart, litbruin, silveradosilver, iceman66, jatherly, husonfirst, Timecat, dothedo, PeekPoke, ingmar

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you and to answer the question on the quartz, there is an Alpinist that was produced with a quartz movement but this was a few years back. It does not look like this at all and it is different, in fact it has a GMT movement, different case, dial and hands. It shows on the forums very rarely.

Very nice. I think the Seiko SARBs are tremendous value, and excellent watches. You have a great set.

I own the green dial on brown strap and love it.

Why is the hour hand different in the black dialed version??

SARB017 Green dial Alpinist on bracelet is one of the favorites in my humble collection.
    Current collection: Tudor BB 36 |MKII Hawkinge| Seiko SARB017 | Seiko SARB035 | Seiko SBDC053| Seiko SBDC059|Seiko SBDC061| Stowa Antea KS
    wishlist: ​Seiko SBDC065, Sinn EZM 3f, Sinn 856 UTC, Sinn 356 Flieger II, Damasko DC56, Tudor Black Bay Fifty-eight, Sinn 556 i Blue

Hi, that is a beautiful watch. I really like the large luminous hands, they look great.

These are a tremendous value and beautiful watches for sure. The black watch has the hands from the earlier version of Seiko Alpinist, the one with the high beat 4s15 movement.

Thread Information