Not a Rolex Expert and Would Like to Know What This Term Means.
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Not a Rolex Expert and Would Like to Know What This Term Means.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Not a Rolex Expert and Would Like to Know What This Term Means.

As I mentioned, I am no Rolex expert and sorry for, what would seem like a newbie question, but I have noticed a lot of for sale and other comments where the seller, for instance, makes a point of noting that it is a, "random serial number". What does this mean? Is that a selling point, does it increase the selling price? I know all of my watches have a "random serial number"!

Just curious... thanx!
    GlennO likes this.
    "Time isn't the main thing. It is the only thing!" - Miles Davis

I have found that some people just like to hear themselves typing.

Friends don't let friends buy G-Schlocks.

You think I'm condescending...?? Do you even know what that means... ??

Every time God closes one door... I open a bottle of bourbon.

¹ I have learned that you have to put a smiley face or LOL behind anything just so people don't take you too seriously.

Re: Not a Rolex Expert and Would Like to Know What This Term Means.

I think they scrambled the serial number to reduce the chance of pinpointing the production year of models so they can sit on shelves for longer and still be sold as "new". There were some threads on this on the forum via search function but the attached explains it better.

Random Serial Number - Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum

Yes, Rolex serial numbers used to be sequential, so you could date a watch by the first few digits of the serial number. See this website, for example,

https://www.minus4plus6.com/numbers.htm
    Everyworks likes this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Interesting. I often wondered the same thing.

Will Rolex tell you when your watch was made if you provide them with the serial?
    Last edited by GlennO; July 18th, 2015 at 08:24.

Correct, they want to prevent you from pinpointing the year of manufacture but it's just to stop the customer from figuring out when the watch was made, I personally don't see any other reason they do it this way. I think this started around 2009
    richnyc and BigSeikoFan like this.

forgive me but on a slight tangent -and never personally having purchased a watch from an AD -when a watch has been on display , behind window glass etc for maybe a year or two or more -on purchase would that watch be serviced prior to collection or delivery -never seen any examples of new watch 'unboxing ' threads coming with a service report

[QUOTE=shameless;18215746]forgive me but on a slight tangent -and never personally having purchased a watch from an AD -when a watch has been on display , behind window glass etc for maybe a year or two or more -on purchase would that watch be serviced prior to collection or delivery -never seen any examples of new watch 'unboxing ' threads coming with a service report[/QUOTE]

I've never heard of a service being done.
    Well, I was standing on a corner in Winslow, AZ and Clara Oswald slowed down to take a look at me and my GS Tiffany SnowflakeTM...

Banned

I thought the term in question would be 'superlative,' which would have made for a more lively thread. I'm eager to see if folks figure out a way to bash the brand responding to a question like this about the serial #s, though.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
    I thought the term in question would be 'superlative,' which would have made for a more lively thread. I'm eager to see if folks figure out a way to bash the brand responding to a question like this about the serial #s, though.
    Everyone knows it's a response to Omega writing "lative" on all their dials. This simply allows Rolex to trump them.
    Donf and no name no slogan like this.

[QUOTE=BigSeikoFan;18219962]
    Quote Originally Posted by shameless View Post
    forgive me but on a slight tangent -and never personally having purchased a watch from an AD -when a watch has been on display , behind window glass etc for maybe a year or two or more -on purchase would that watch be serviced prior to collection or delivery -never seen any examples of new watch 'unboxing ' threads coming with a service report[/QUOTE]

I've never heard of a service being done.
    it seems to me the worst thing for a watch is for it to be dormant for a considerable time especially in a dry environment as many would be - - seems to me it would be the correct thing to do in many circumstances - maybe for a new watch to arrive with a service stamp on the card would not suit the buyer although i would much prefer that

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information