not sure where to post - watch losing 20 min in one hour
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: not sure where to post - watch losing 20 min in one hour

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Confused not sure where to post - watch losing 20 min in one hour

Hello, I am brand new to the world of watches and to this forum. What is the best place to ask a repair question? I looked at the forum rules and stickies and didn't see anything about where to post repair questions, so I thought I would start here. If there is a better forum, please let me know and I will post there instead.

I recently bought my first watch - a Poljot Ruslan with a 3133. A few days after I bought it I noticed it lost almost exactly 20 minutes in one hour - and this was in the morning after I had fully wound it. I had not noticed it losing time before this. I timed a few minutes on the seconds dial and it was accurate, and I watched the minute hand move and it looked accurate too for those few minutes, but obviously something is wrong. I bought it on ebay and it seemed to come with legit instructions and case.

Any thoughts on what to do? Should I let the winding run down and then try winding again to see if that helps? Try to return it to the seller on ebay? Send for watch repair? I'm open to repairing it myself if this type of gross time discrepancy is solvable with a novice skill level.

ugh..feeling like I've made a foolish decision to buy this on ebay i may be out a couple hundred and now watchless for a while before I can get the courage up to spend a couple more hundred i hope there's an easy fix! Thank you if you have any thoughts.

Re: not sure where to post - watch losing 20 min in one hour

Have the watch serviced by a watchmaker - Hopefully you got a good deal when you bought it, if so you will have a freshly serviced watch that will give you many years of service... My .02

I think if I were you I'd send it back to Russia.....Get a good watch next time.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Find a decent watch maker and get it serviced. Check AWCI's Web site, or ask around on the forum if you need help finding one. You might also try posting to the Russian sub-forum for suggestions.

If this is a used mechanical, you should've already planned to get it cleaned, serviced, and regulated in the first place. It's the price of owning a mechanical.

-XCN-

One possibility is that watch has been magnetized. When the hairspring becomes magnetized, two loops can stick together, greatly reducing its effective length and increasing the frequency.

It's also possible that a loop of the mainspring was jarred out of place and got hooked over the stud during shipping. This seems unlikely but it has happened to me.

In either case, an easy fix by a watchmender.

Rick "suggesting two possibilities that can occur during shipping" Denney
    hanzo likes this.
    Zenith: Captain Chronograph 03.2110.400*; Cartier: Santos 100 XL Concord: Mariner, C1 Big-Date, C1 v.2 Chronograph; Ebel: Chronosport 1134901, Tekton 9137L83*, Type E 9137C41* (*=COSC)
    Ebel: 1911 BTR 9137L73* and 9139L71*, 1911 1120L41*, 1911 Senior 9080241, Brasilias 9120M41 (2), Aquatica 500 9120K61, Classic Hexagon GMT 9301F61, Classic 100 LE 9120R41; Baume & Mercier: Capeland World-Timer
    Heuer: Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3110; Maurice Lacroix: Masterpiece MP6439; "Seagull": 1963 Reissue cal. ST19; Seiko: Black Monster SRP307; Poljot: Sturmanskie cal. 3133; Tissot: T-Touch Lew and Huey: Acciona
    Vintage: JLC: ref. 2953, ca. 1946; Longines: Flagship cal 285; Zodiac: SST cal. 86, Aerospace GMT cal. 72; Favre-Leuba: cal. 253; Tianjin: Dong Feng cal. ST5; Elgin: Gr. 152 (1898), Gr. 384 (1919); Ebel: ca. 1962 ref. 9214955
    WUS: ST5 Project Watches (Black and Blue), F72.2014.DG3804 (Gray and Cream); Swatch: Sistem 51 Blue; TNT: Rattrapante cal. Rochat 7750+RAT-1

THS

Sounds like a stuck/clingy mainspring. If so a few good, hard smacks on the back of the case can fix it. It's an easy fix for any watchmaker, and I offer no guarantees so don't start hitting your watch if you care about it a great deal, but that being said there is a reasonable chance it could work if the mainspring is the culprit.

edit: rather than smacking it which might be a bit severe, put it in the palm of your hand and press firmly with the palm of your other hand against the back a few times, again no guarantees if you break the watch, but I had the same problems with a mechanical watch and this worked perfectly
    Last edited by THS; November 2nd, 2013 at 23:27.
    Omega Marine Chronometer cal 1516
    Omega Speedmaster Professional cal 861 (ca 1970)
    Kemmner Flieger type A
    Citizen Nighthawk (black)
    Citizen ana-digi Promaster ca 1987 (beater)

Inactive

Was it new or secondhand?, recent ? or weeks ago?

New - flick it back to the seller for a refund via an ebay dispute.
    S/h - you need to get it serviced - or at least attended to for the possibilities of magnetism (as above) or being clonked and the hairspring sticking together which would give you your symptoms.

Look on the bright side... in 3 hours you won't have to change it back!
    "Time isn't the main thing. It is the only thing!" - Miles Davis

I have found that some people just like to hear themselves typing.

Friends don't let friends buy G-Schlocks.

You think I'm condescending...?? Do you even know what that means... ??

Every time God closes one door... I open a bottle of bourbon.

¹ I have learned that you have to put a smiley face or LOL behind anything just so people don't take you too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by THS View Post
    Sounds like a stuck/clingy mainspring. If so a few good, hard smacks on the back of the case can fix it. It's an easy fix for any watchmaker, and I offer no guarantees so don't start hitting your watch if you care about it a great deal, but that being said there is a reasonable chance it could work if the mainspring is the culprit.

edit: rather than smacking it which might be a bit severe, put it in the palm of your hand and press firmly with the palm of your other hand against the back a few times, again no guarantees if you break the watch, but I had the same problems with a mechanical watch and this worked perfectly
    I love this place! I learn something new!! Does this work with all Russians or just some?....How about Chinese....
    Automatics and manual wind?
    Last edited by little big feather; November 3rd, 2013 at 00:44.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by little big feather View Post
    I love this place! I learn something new!! Does this work with all Russians or just some?....How about Chinese....
    Automatics and manual wind?

What the smacking ?, or the sticking?

One or more of spring coils can partially 'stick' together shortening the spring length making it go like the clappers , smacking the watch (gently!) can knock the leaves back out of contact with each other .. fixing the problem.
    If it is magnetised though, be prepared for them to stick together again in the very near future.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information