This, that, or nothing???

Thread: This, that, or nothing???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Question This, that, or nothing???

Some of hate these 'help me choose' threads so if that is you, nothing to see here, keep right on walking!

Some background: I'm trying not to buy any watches at the moment, saving for a holiday instead. And after the holiday I'm intending to save for a Marinemaster 300. But as fellow watchenthusiasts, a lot of you know what it's like... So I'm considering sating the urges with a relatively affordable purchase. Luckily, there are two watches which not only are afordable, but which I really really want, and have wanted for a long time now:

Citizen BJ8050-59E (aka Stainless Steel EcoZILLA)

Citizen JW0051-55E (aka Stainless Steel Promaster SST (Australian market))

Two very different watches, the main similarities being that they are both big ecodrive powered chunks of steel by Citizen. This thread needs some pics...

EcoZILLA S/S (Pics courtesy of A MattR of Time)

Promaster SST S/S

I like everything about the SST. It just works for me. If I'm being really picky, the bezel action could be a little smoother but that is all. It'll set me back AU$545.

I've never handled an EcoZILLA but I love what I see in pics and, from everything I've read, I've no doubt it's a great watch. At AU$300, it seems like an absolute bargain for a serious dive watch.

Possibly I'd prefer the MM300 to the SST but I'm not sure. I know it's crazy but I like it that much. Build quality is out of this world on these. But I definitely DO want the MM300. And they won't be around forever. I'm pretty sure I prefer the MM300 to the ZILLA, but at $300 it's not a big chunk out of the price of the MM300.

On the other hand, AU$300 is a lot of tasty meals in Hong Kong, and the ZILLA will be around for a while.

What do you think I should do???

Re: This, that, or nothing???

Sorry brother, I don't know how much money AU is in American bucks, but IMO both of those watches are, well, uh, ugly. I say save the money for the trip. They sort of remind me of the Seiko monsters- I have two of them, they were cheap. I rarely wear them. Hell, okay, buy the busy one. It looks like fun.

Our dollar is awesome! Hahah. Never thought I defend a currency.

Save you cash mate. Spend it on cocktails at the bar.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

the best thing you can do for yourself is continue saving toward the MM if that's what your heart is set on. btw, i have a MM and consider it well worth the price.

i had the non-JDM version of the titanium promaster SST... briefly. i saw one posted on the F-S forum here and had entertained ideas about getting one for a while. but i already had a very nice Attesa (a JDM eco-drive chrono, duratect titanium, sapphire crystal, atomic time sync) and wasn't willing to pay full-price for another watch which was already rather redundant.

my co-worker had been very keen on getting one after i showed him a pic of it more than a year ago (he's a fledgling WIS but with a more limited budget) so i wound up sellling it him at cost. i loved the way the case and bracelet just fit so well together. it's a very masculine piece, big yet still very comfortable because of the ti. he says he gets a lot of compliments about it whenever he wears it.

i wound up getting a titanium paw1500 to replace the SST as i wanted to add a nice g-shock to round out my collection.
    Last edited by Denizen; April 10th, 2010 at 06:16.

I hope there aren't too many members who dislike the 'help me choose' type threads. Getting opinions on watches i am interested in or comparing is one of the main things i value and appreciate on this site.

I much prefer the appearance of the EcoZILLA. Looks very solid with all that shiny S/S and a very nice clean looking dial and hands. I don't like overly busy dials so the choice would be easy for me. Plus there's the additional lume, love that lume shot. But it looks like the bracelet is integrated and if so that would kill it for me. I have resisted integrated bracelets to date, fearing that if i am not able to size it perfectly i am left with no other options. Plus half the fun for me is trying out and swapping straps on my watches.

Ive debated the same issue when trying to purchase a watch I want. The immediate buy of a cheap watch I was somewhat interested in will tie me over until the big purchase happens next month.
    I know your a big seiko fan; would the citizen ecozilla fall too similar to the other divers you have? I like the zilla much better than the other mentioned but would you be better served waiting until your trip, taking the cash with you, and possibly looking at what is available there?

ProMaster SST in a heartbeat. Nothing wrong with the Zilla, but everyone's wrist seems to be sprouting one these days.
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

Nothing
    I know nothing except the fact of my own ignorance. Socrates

Re: This, that, or nothing??

I never had an Eco-Zilla but I had 2 Auto-Zillas and they seem the same on the outside. That is one ginormous watch. If you like the size it should be a well made watch. I don't like the sst at all.

Nothing..Save n save for a Seiko MM
    "Let's go vintage racing"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information