Now I like lume

Thread: Now I like lume

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Now I like lume

I thought the definition of useful, dependable lume ought to be lume that will keep your watch legible all night, from natural sunset to sunrise, without the help of artificial light charging it. Depending on where you are and the season, that could be more than 12 hours. The watch might have been fully charged at mid-day, but when the sun is nearly setting, it's already pretty dim outside, so the watch is probably not starting off from a "full charge".

Statements like "lasts X hours on a 'full charge'" are too vague to give me confidence.

Well, I'm happy to say that my watch (Rolex no-date Sub, which is not known to have good lume) has accompanied me on a few nights camping now, and at this latitude in this season (Washington, DC, late summer) it does meet that definition. With no help from artificial light, only the light of the sun, my watch was legible until sunrise. (Of course this had a lot to do with my eyes being adjusted to the dark.)

Now I feel I can rely on lume as a means of reading the time. Now I like lume!

Re: Now I like lume

You should see this thing. It's nuts.
    Sorry no lume shot, but trust me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

the orca is a torch!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Most any decent C3, C1, BGW9, Lumibrite, etc.. will make it through the night. But only C3/Lumibrite will dazzle you for a minute or so after being charged. That's what makes it fun.
    Lots of dive watches.

i like the tritium lume on my luminox. not the brightest but love the fact that the hands and indices are always visible in the dark no matter how long..
    the lumibrite on my seiko is brighter at full charge but never makes it past an hour..

A lot comes from where you are and the ambient lighting conditions... Looking at my two Citizen watches for example, the BN0000 has good lume that is nice and bright, while in comparison my BM8180 has pretty dim lume on the hands and indices. The again, at 3am in the dark, both are more than legible and easy to read the time with.

On the other hand, being out for a walk in the dark tends to leave the lume looking dim and underpowered when your eyes are used to the streetlights...

To me, lume is very important. That's probably why I'm a dive watch nut. Citizen BN series are amazing especially with the ice blue colour. I find as well that Omega and Seiko (Lumibrite) are excellent as well.
    My one per peeve is when there's 2 different levels of lume on a watch, like C1 on the bezel and C3 on the dial.

I know the C1/C3 vs Tritium argument is this forum's equivalent to the AR-15 vs AK-47 or Ford vs Chevy argument on other forums, but I am totally sold on tritium gas lights. I have 3 watches with GTLS's and every time my eyes catch a glimpse of the gas lights glowing in the dark, it just makes me so happy. My Marathon JSAR is my favorite watch, but its lume, which is no slouch by any measure, just fails to impress me the way my gas light watches do. Its such a fascinating process to see happening in front of you: The radioactive decay of hydrogen isotopes, giving off electrons which excite phosphor molecules deposited on the inside of an impossibly small glass cylinder, giving off light for up to 25 years straight with no external power source. To me, that's about as awesome as it gets. But to each his own.

Like you, i used to find absolutely no value in lume. That's because all my watch lume lasts for like 10 mins, even on a 'full charge'. They're mainly dressier watches, so i'm not surprised.

It changed when i got my Panerai. Now it's basically my night stand 'clock'. It's hands-free and it's not too bright that i have to squint or get semi-roused, but bright enough to tell the time at a glance.

Here are a few of my current fav.'s

Armida A1

Seiko Sumo

Omega SMP

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information