Obsessive Compuluive Watch Disorder...Do I have it and is there a cure?
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Obsessive Compuluive Watch Disorder...Do I have it and is there a cure?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Obsessive Compuluive Watch Disorder...Do I have it and is there a cure?

Well...greetings to all fellow sufferers and I hope I have come to the right place for therapy and relief? I have followed all the goings on here for over a year and am finally convinced that herein might be the answer to my problems.

By way of saying 'hello' can I tell you a little of my background? Perhaps others here may have experience of my plight.

I've always liked wrist-watches...I can't hide it any longer. From my first much loved Keeps On Tickin' Timex aged 12 (I'm 60 now!) to the day this affliction really took hold a watch has never been off my wrist. I can't describe what prompts my martyrdom to this affliction except to say I just love the 'thingy-ness' of them. Most of my watches over the years where, however bought with one eye to utility and the other to thrift. Market stall 20 dollar specials (carefully selected!) as a rule and once the batteries (yes - I know) died they joined the great sock draw of oblivion.

THEN...my much loved Father in Law left me his lovely retirement special Kreuth Freres Certina anniversary edition dress watch-with a beautiful Perseux ultra slim hand wound movement and I had a sudden epiphany. Watches can be beautiful and special...and such a vehicle for artistry and craftsmanship....and don't deserve the ignominy of my sock and underpants draw.

My everloving wif then bought me a Boys-Own bargain basement watch maintenance kit from Amazon a couple of Christmases ago and I set to with gusto to give all those old watches from my life new batteries and straps...

And so it began.

I started looking around for a new interesting and 'meaningful' new watch and read all the tales of passion on this site.

Of course I started modestly and somewhat ill-informed but I wanted to return to those halcyon days of mechanical-winding and wistful retro. So along came a Komanderskie-followed by an Amphibian...a couple of quirky Shanghai reissues...one or two (ahem) cheap Quartz looky-likeys ((Yup-an Invicta Rolex Sub-U-Like...don't knock it 'til you you tried it) and over the course of the next 12 months worked my way up to Seagull....contemplated Seiko....bought a couple of better quality Far Eastern Miyota mvt automatics...

I think you can see where this is going? There is no cure!

So now after a dozen cautious, careful, lo-cost/risk investments of very few quids I have a watch for every day of the fortnight.

The strange thing is.

I love them all ! But find I keep looking lustfully at even more salubrious and gradually more up market offerings. What joy? What guilt and suffering?? I hope I am not alone?

My last purchase was a rather lovely Dan Henry 1964 Gran Turino Chrono.
    I'm sure I can stop all this now with your help.

In the meantime I would love to share with you some of my more eclectic puchases-but bear in mind my spiritual home is likely 'Affordable', Chinese Mechanical and Russian forums.

No way you'll ever find me buying a watch worth more than my toaster!
    Famous last words.

And indeed they are. Sorry for the rambley self intro but I hope to find some fellow-feeling amongst perhaps one or two members here.
    Or am I completely bonkers.

All best/replies appreciated but not obligatory-

Ron (I can quit any time) Trousers
    Ale De Alis and Dinky1 like this.

Re: Obsessive Compuluive Watch Disorder...Do I have it and is there a cure?

Hi Ron. Recognizing you have a problem is the first step to recovery. If that's what you want.

Pictures?

Hhhm...I would have liked to have edited some of this 'from the heart' nonsense but can't find the edit button!

Sorry about the bad spellinge!

ron

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Trousers View Post
    Hhhm...I would have liked to have edited some of this 'from the heart' nonsense but can't find the edit button!

Sorry about the bad spellinge!

ron
    It's a boring person that can only spell things one way.
    Toothbras, Ron_Trousers and Dinky1 like this.

Pictures forthcoming if you would like, rfortson, and thanks for your sage advice. I have an appointment at the Smoking Cessation clinic on Monday and I'll ask the nurse about watches too.

ron
    Motorcycle Man likes this.

At least they’re cheap, you could be spending toaster money on anything... booze, restaurants, clothes... at least watches last a lot longer!
    Ron_Trousers likes this.

There's no help for the watch addiction. This is definetly not the place to get help. We will all enable you. What I do suggest is that you give your watches to me, cancel your account here and then go to therapy. Yes, I know. Quite benevolent of me.

Welcome to the rabbit hole. "If you stare long enough into the abyss, the abyss stares back".

Quote Originally Posted by BDIC View Post

Welcome to the rabbit hole. "If you stare long enough into the abyss, the abyss stares back".
    Thanks for the offer BDIC! It looks as though I took the wrong colour pill?

Medical treatment or stronger substances !
    Kaishakunin likes this.
    It should be special!

Allow me, Sir, to offer you some sage advice. First of all you need to buy a gold plated toaster. Or better still, get one in grade 5 titanium. Once that small inconvenience is taken care of, you shall have no qualms about buying bigger &better watches.
    I speak from experience. I too have walked down the Vostok pathway. Still cherish them:)
    Ron_Trousers likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information