Odd AD Experience Today
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Odd AD Experience Today

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47
  1. #1
    Member RBrylawski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,061

    Odd AD Experience Today

    So, today a friend wanted to visit the Montblanc Store and another AD in the same mall. The Montblanc people were truly lovely. They know me and they know my MB came from the Tourneau Outlet Store, at tremendous savings, yet they always welcome me and let me try on other watches. We had fun there.

    Now, in contract there is another AD (in addition to Mayors) in this mall. And they carry some very nice lines including Glaschutte Original. So, my friend who would really like to get himself a gold watch with a very simple Patek style dial zeroed in on a Glashutte Senator in Gold. The watch had two stickers on it. One at $16,000, the other at $14,000. I asked why the two stickers and the sales guy, said Glaschutte recently raised prices and the watch was really priced at the higher of the two. Even though they clearly purchased the watch at the lower price. That was off-putting number 1. I asked what kind of discount they might offer and he said no more than 10%. So, when I thought he was out of ear shot, I suggested to my friend that he might look gray market, but the sales guy heard me and scoffed at me for this. But he made two claims that just ticked me off.

    Claim 1: He claimed that a Glaschutte watch not purchased AD, thus not registered with Glaschutte papers, would be denied service by Glaschutte should something go wrong with the watch. Regardless of whether the customer was fully willing to pay for service.

    Claim 2. To further support his claim, he said that if someone purchased a Ulyses Nardin gray market, and needed service, if it was sent to Ulyses for service, it would be confiscated by Ulyses. REALLY? I mean maybe Ulyses can refuse to service a watch not purchased through an AD, but how is it possible he could be telling people Ulyses had the right to confiscate the property of someone, leigitimately purchased, regardless of whether it was AD or not?

    We left soon after I told the sales guy he was full of............

    Now maybe I'm not informed enough, but I think this is BS. Could I be wrong? Could he be right?
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo


  2. #2
    Member woodsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The Hundred-Acre Wood
    Posts
    872

    Re: Odd AD Experience Today

    Quote Originally Posted by RBrylawski View Post
    So, today a friend wanted to visit the Montblanc Store and another AD in the same mall. The Montblanc people were truly lovely. They know me and they know my MB came from the Tourneau Outlet Store, at tremendous savings, yet they always welcome me and let me try on other watches. We had fun there.

    Now, in contract there is another AD (in addition to Mayors) in this mall. And they carry some very nice lines including Glaschutte Original. So, my friend who would really like to get himself a gold watch with a very simple Patek style dial zeroed in on a Glashutte Senator in Gold. The watch had two stickers on it. One at $16,000, the other at $14,000. I asked why the two stickers and the sales guy, said Glaschutte recently raised prices and the watch was really priced at the higher of the two. Even though they clearly purchased the watch at the lower price. That was off-putting number 1. I asked what kind of discount they might offer and he said no more than 10%. So, when I thought he was out of ear shot, I suggested to my friend that he might look gray market, but the sales guy heard me and scoffed at me for this. But he made two claims that just ticked me off.

    Claim 1: He claimed that a Glaschutte watch not purchased AD, thus not registered with Glaschutte papers, would be denied service by Glaschutte should something go wrong with the watch. Regardless of whether the customer was fully willing to pay for service.

    Claim 2. To further support his claim, he said that if someone purchased a Ulyses Nardin gray market, and needed service, if it was sent to Ulyses for service, it would be confiscated by Ulyses. REALLY? I mean maybe Ulyses can refuse to service a watch not purchased through an AD, but how is it possible he could be telling people Ulyses had the right to confiscate the property of someone, leigitimately purchased, regardless of whether it was AD or not?

    We left soon after I told the sales guy he was full of............

    Now maybe I'm not informed enough, but I think this is BS. Could I be wrong? Could he be right?
    You're right, he is wrong.

    A watch company will always take their watches in for a service. That said, some companies will not service a watch that has no serial numbers (i.e., the serial numbers were filed off by someone...). Other than that, enjoy the savings from the gray market
    RBrylawski and Tragic like this.

  3. #3
    Member RedBarchettayyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    1,496

    Re: Odd AD Experience Today

    I don't know anything about GO or UN specifically, but that seems ridiculous. If you buy a watch from another source and the grey warranty is up, you pay the manufacturer for service just like if the watch is out of warranty from and AD. Plus, I am sure UN confiscating watches sent in by paying customers for service is a massive load. Like I said, I don't know about these two brands specifically, so maybe I'm way off base, but I'd guess you telling the sales guy he was full of it was the most truthful thing said in that store today. I wouldn't be back.
    RBrylawski likes this.
    My Watches: Seiko Orange Monster, Orient cex0r001w, Prometheus Baiji, '84 Seiko 6309-7040, Hamilton Khaki Mechanical Field Officer's 44mm, Hamilton Pan Europ Silver, Longines Hydroconquest 41mm Blue, WUS Russian Forum Vostok 5/6 Commemorative Amphibia, Sterile 6497 Flieger, 1958 Vostok Kama, Vintage Orient King Diver, Vostok Zissou Ministry, Raven Deep Tech Vintage Blue, Rado Diastar Original Diver Blue, Helson Gauge Steel 5-60 dial
    Preordered- Helberg CH6
    "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door.You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to"

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member RBrylawski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,061

    Re: Odd AD Experience Today

    Quote Originally Posted by RedBarchettayyz View Post
    I don't know anything about GO or UN specifically, but that seems ridiculous. If you buy a watch from another source and the grey warranty is up, you pay the manufacturer for service just like if the watch is out of warranty from and AD. Plus, I am sure UN confiscating watches sent in by paying customers for service is a massive load. Like I said, I don't know about these two brands specifically, so maybe I'm way off base, but I'd guess you telling the sales guy he was full of it was the most truthful thing said in that store today. I wouldn't be back.
    It was a really off-putting experience and one that makes me feel I would never purchase from this store. Of course I shouldn't blame the entire store for the stupidity of one sales person, but it was a bad tasting experience.
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo


  6. #5
    Member woodsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The Hundred-Acre Wood
    Posts
    872

    Re: Odd AD Experience Today

    Quote Originally Posted by RBrylawski View Post
    It was a really off-putting experience and one that makes me feel I would never purchase from this store. Of course I shouldn't blame the entire store for the stupidity of one sales person, but it was a bad tasting experience.
    Should've asked him where he got his information from lol- it'd've been funny to watch him scramble. Afterwards, you could've asked to speak to his manager and advised him to train his staff not to make false statements that could potentially cost the store a few sales ;D
    RBrylawski likes this.

  7. #6
    Member Brisman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    7,522

    Re: Odd AD Experience Today

    I'm not sure what the situation is with the two claims that the salesman made but I think you should have waited until you left before mentioning the grey market.

    I imagine he would be pretty annoyed, probably felt you were in there trying his watches on with the intention of buying from the grey market once you decided what you liked.

    I know people do this and I'm not saying you did but maybe you should have waited.

  8. #7
    Member RBrylawski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,061

    Re: Odd AD Experience Today

    Quote Originally Posted by mn85 View Post
    Should've asked him where he got his information from lol- it'd've been funny to watch him scramble. Afterwards, you could've asked to speak to his manager and advised him to train his staff not to make false statements that could potentially cost the store a few sales ;D
    I told him it was illegal for any company to confiscate someone's legitimately purchased property and that he was full of S#!&. The telling him part that he was full of S#!& simply made me feel better!
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo


  9. #8
    Member RedBarchettayyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    1,496

    Re: Odd AD Experience Today

    Quote Originally Posted by RBrylawski View Post
    It was a really off-putting experience and one that makes me feel I would never purchase from this store. Of course I shouldn't blame the entire store for the stupidity of one sales person, but it was a bad tasting experience.
    It might not seem fair to blame the whole store, but employees of a business, especially very public ones like salesman, reflect on the business. Rude, "fact-creating" salesman do not reflect a very good light on their shop. It would be enough for me to write them off completely- there are always more watch shops that would love your business.
    RBrylawski likes this.
    My Watches: Seiko Orange Monster, Orient cex0r001w, Prometheus Baiji, '84 Seiko 6309-7040, Hamilton Khaki Mechanical Field Officer's 44mm, Hamilton Pan Europ Silver, Longines Hydroconquest 41mm Blue, WUS Russian Forum Vostok 5/6 Commemorative Amphibia, Sterile 6497 Flieger, 1958 Vostok Kama, Vintage Orient King Diver, Vostok Zissou Ministry, Raven Deep Tech Vintage Blue, Rado Diastar Original Diver Blue, Helson Gauge Steel 5-60 dial
    Preordered- Helberg CH6
    "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door.You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to"

  10. #9
    Member RBrylawski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,061

    Re: Odd AD Experience Today

    I said it under my breath, believing he couldn't hear me. Otherwise I agree with you and shouldn't have mentioned it. But he had turned into a jerk before I said what I said and it still doesn't excuse him for telling complete lies.
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo


  11. #10
    Member hpark21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb
    Posts
    5,494

    Re: Odd AD Experience Today

    Possible that he heard some anectotal story about manufacturer confiscating a fake watch sent in for service?

    Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    Chronic flipper...


Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •