Odd experience with watch accuracy

Thread: Odd experience with watch accuracy

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Member hpark21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb
    Posts
    5,494

    Odd experience with watch accuracy

    Ok, here is the deal. I recently received 2 watches:
    PAM 184 and GO Senator Navi chrono.

    Both are amazing watches.

    However, that said, I noticed that PAM was running about 20 sec/day fast and GO was running about 40sec/day slow for few days that I timed them.

    Considering both were under warranty, I have decided to stop by near by AD (for both, how convenient) to get the watches regulated under warranty - since I need a watch to wear, I have decided to drop off GO first since it appears to suffer more from deviation.

    Now, the watchmaker on the premises happened to be out on the floor and looked at my watch and asked me "What is wrong with it?" and I told him it is running about 40/day slow.

    He said "That can't be for a GO!!!" He takes out his timing machine, puts the watch on the timer and what do you get? It get literally 0 second deviation /day solid for literally 5 minutes!!!
    He told me "I don't know WHAT you are timing the watch with, but you should throw that out and use that for timing" (I was timing them using time.gov) he also said 'My expectation is set very high with GO, but that tops my expectation".

    I said, ok, can you time this one too? I handed him my PAM 184, and he put it on the timer, then I get deviation between -1 to +1/day but overall, it was mostly standing at 0 deviation as well.. I was kinda dumbfounded.

    He told me that he will time the GO for 3 more days and will let me know whether i should consider sending it in or not.

    Considering that I will be out of watch for several weeks, I don't think given that fact that I would not send it in but has anyone ran into this before? I don't think my timing method is that bad (I set the watch, then send myself an e-mail as reminder of when I set the watch, then check couple of days later) and it was pretty consistent for last 50 watches..

    I considered magnetism, but it wouldn't spontaneously de-magnetize them selves in watch store. Granted, it was rather stable experience without watch moving on my arm, but still..
    Chronic flipper...


  2. #2
    Member Spit161's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    5,873

    Re: Odd experience with watch accuracy

    There could be a few reasons (for the PAM):
    - Watch was insignificantly wound when you were typing it
    - The position you kept the watch in whilst being timed.

    For the GO:
    - Positioning (again).

    cheers,
    Jake.
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Breitling SuperOcean
    Bremont MBII
    Bremont ALT1-P
    Casio G-Shock Aviator GW-3000B
    Omega Seamaster 2541.80
    Seiko Black Monster
    Seiko SKX007
    Suunto Core "All Black"
    Suunto Core Alpine Edition
    Suunto Vector
    Tissot Sea-Touch.


    "When the weight of the paper equals the weight of the airplane, only then you can go flying."



  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,261

    Re: Odd experience with watch accuracy

    Quote Originally Posted by hpark21 View Post
    ..He takes out his timing machine, puts the watch on the timer and what do you get? It get literally 0 second deviation /day solid for literally 5 minutes!!!
    He told me "I don't know WHAT you are timing the watch with, but you should throw that out and use that for timing" (I was timing them using time.gov) he also said 'My expectation is set very high with GO, but that tops my expectation".

    I said, ok, can you time this one too? I handed him my PAM 184, and he put it on the timer, then I get deviation between -1 to +1/day but overall, it was mostly standing at 0 deviation as well.. I was kinda dumbfounded.
    ..

    Just as I mentioned in the past in another thread, the watchmaker's timer is meant for indicative purpose only; do not take it as conclusive.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Moderator Public Forum John MS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    21,083

    Re: Odd experience with watch accuracy

    Positional error, getting bumped, winding status could all have an impact on mechanical watch accuracy. A reasonably accurate home accuracy test is an average done over several days. Just wear one watch for 5 days, don't hand wind it and divide the cumulative error by 5. 40 seconds per day on a watch like that is hard to believe.

  6. #5
    Member hpark21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb
    Posts
    5,494

    Re: Odd experience with watch accuracy

    Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    40 seconds per day on a watch like that is hard to believe.
    I took about a week. The watch was on a winder for couple of days, worn for couple of days and handwound for couple of days so I think 40s/day represents good measure.

    That said, it appears very HARD for me to believe that there would be 40 sec. positional difference on GO caliber watch (Same goes for JLC movement).
    Anyways, watchmaker is suppose to take couple of readings throughout the winding state so we will see.
    Chronic flipper...


  7. #6
    Member Eeeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Great Lakes - USofA
    Posts
    18,140

    Re: Odd experience with watch accuracy

    In general, the largest component of error in timing watches is from the timing method. HEQ has a sticky on how to do these precisely. The source being used as the 'correct' time is critical too. time.gov is the only one worth using if you do not have a direct short wave link (the best).

    Timing machines are very accurate... far more accurate than most human observations. Examine your techniques for possible error.

    Just my two cents...
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

    "The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

    ...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

  8. #7
    Moderator Public Forum John MS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    21,083

    Re: Odd experience with watch accuracy

    Quote Originally Posted by hpark21 View Post
    I took about a week. The watch was on a winder for couple of days, worn for couple of days and handwound for couple of days so I think 40s/day represents good measure.

    That said, it appears very HARD for me to believe that there would be 40 sec. positional difference on GO caliber watch (Same goes for JLC movement).
    Anyways, watchmaker is suppose to take couple of readings throughout the winding state so we will see.
    The only way you will be able to get an accurate measure of the error is to remove as many variables as possible. That means wearibg the watch for a consistent number of hours for the entire test. Not usibg it three different ways. It is a waste
    of.time.to do it your way.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •