Is it odd that my rotor spins fast enough that I feel it?
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Is it odd that my rotor spins fast enough that I feel it?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is it odd that my rotor spins fast enough that I feel it?

Is it odd that the rotor on my Hamilton Khaki Field Chrono can continuously spin for several seconds with a slight shake? To the point that I can feel it when I am wearing it.
    CitizenM and rfortson like this.
    Time is relative.

Re: Is it odd that my rotor spins fast enough that I feel it?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTOG View Post
    Is it odd that the rotor on my Hamilton Khaki Field Chrono can continuously spin for several seconds with a slight shake? To the point that I can feel it when I am wearing it.
    I believe that watch has a 7750, in which case, this is one of the 7750's most famous attributes--rotor wobble. Basically, the 7750 winds in only one direction, meaning there is extremely little resistance in the non-winding direction. Furthermore, the 7750 uses a large, heavy rotor. When the rotor spins in an unproductive direction, therefore, it spins very fast and you can feel and hear it.

But no, nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenM View Post
    I believe that watch has a 7750, in which case, this is one of the 7750's most famous attributes--rotor wobble. Basically, the 7750 winds in only one direction, meaning there is extremely little resistance in the non-winding direction. Furthermore, the 7750 uses a large, heavy rotor. When the rotor spins in an unproductive direction, therefore, it spins very fast and you can feel and hear it.

Well then ..... that's that
    akasnowmaaan likes this.
    "Some day I'm going to buy a real wristwatch"

"When I only had one watch I always knew what time it was, but now I'm no longer sure"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It is actually the Hamilton H21 movement...But I believe that is just a modified 7750. So cool. Just never experienced it before. Kinda cool.
    Time is relative.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTOG View Post
    It is actually the Hamilton H21 movement...But I believe that is just a modified 7750. So cool. Just never experienced it before. Kinda cool.
    Yeah, I think the automatic winding system is pretty much identical. It's a simple, but effective, system. Some people actually grow to love the rotor wobble. It may help to remember that the Jaeger 899 has the same property.

Same thing with miyota and omega 331* movements (uni directional bezel) which rotate like crazy while not winding the main spring.

Funny thing is than i first got omega (that was even before wus, God i'm old) i thought that the watch was winding in loose position (as now we know in the non winding direction)

I kinda like it. there was once when I dropped a 7750 a long time ago and it went berserk, the watch was literally moving on its own on the carpet due to the wobble. :D

Yeah, I think the automatic winding system is pretty much identical. It's a simple, but effective, system. Some people actually grow to love the rotor wobble. It may help to remember that the Jaeger 899 has the same property.

Oh great! I was all happy and content with my sweet little Hammy, and you have to throw my ultimate, if I ever did not have kids/won the lottery/the world series of poker/maxed out credit cards, dream watch at me! Some day.....
    CitizenM likes this.
    Time is relative.

I love feeling and particularly like the 'whizzing' sound I get from my JLC. Makes me appreciate the efficiency of the winding mechanism!
    Current Collection: Sinn U1; Omega Speedmaster 3570.50; Seiko SARB033; Casio PRW-3000-1A, G-5600A-7DR; Jaeger Le-Coultre Reverso Grande Taille; Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical ref. H69429931; A. Lange & Sőhne 1815 UP/DOWN; Swatch Sistem51, and some others...

Funny...I used to have a 7750 that had a very noticeable wobble, but my current one, a Sinn, doesn't seem to do it at all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information