Odd Problem.
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Odd Problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Confused Odd Problem.

Anyone else experience the following . . . You get a new watch. It's a bit bigger than what you're used to. But you enjoy wearing it. A few weeks later, you go back to one of your older watches with a slightly smaller case. And I mean slightly. But once you put it on, you notice that it doesn't look right. The watch you used to wear on a regular basis has shrunk! Now it looks like a child's watch on your wrist.

Obviously, it didn't shrink. But to your mind's eye, it sure looks and feels that way. So you wear the watch for several days. But the perception that you're wearing a child's watch simply doesn't go away. It just looks very small on your wrist; to you.

Go back to wearing the larger new watch, and everything seems fine again.

Anyone else gone through this? And if you have, does the feeling go away? It just hasn't for me.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

Re: Odd Problem.

Others have said the same thing.
    Not for me though. I tried bigger than i am used to, and i thought it looked silly, so went back to my normal size. One exception was the OM, which is bigger than i normally wear, but still looks ok to me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    Others have said the same thing.
    Not for me though. I tried bigger than i am used to, and i thought it looked silly, so went back to my normal size. One exception was the OM, which is bigger than i normally wear, but still looks ok to me.
    +1. I tried a few bigger watches and most looked like I was a kid wearing daddy's stuff. Only felt comfortable after going back to a normal sized watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    +1. I tried a few bigger watches and most looked like I was a kid wearing daddy's stuff. Only felt comfortable after going back to a normal sized watch.
    With no pics, this never happened.
    cottontop
    "What's time to a hog?" Junior Samples

Happens to me when I wear a modern automatic and then wear a vintage watch for a special occasion. It looks small, almost child like but I guess people were a bit smaller 40+ years ago.

Yes, I've gotten to the point where I just pass on watches that I know will be too big. Case in point is a new Bulova Accutron GMT that uses a really nice ETA 2893 movement. The decision to put a normal sized 2893 movement in a supersized 42mm case does two things. It won't fit my 7' wrist properly and because the case is too big the date is pushed too far toward dial center.

Quote Originally Posted by mikiejack View Post
    I guess people were a bit smaller 40+ years ago.
    Only because i was 7 years old

rem

that's what happened to me. got me self a bigger protrek prg 240 and now my seiko kinetic seems like a child's watch.

now i love bigger watches on my wrist :)

Yep, since I got my Explorer even my Sinn 656 feels really big.
    Ball | Bulova | Casio | CWC | HMT | Invicta | Nomos | Omega | Orient | Rolex | Seagull | Seiko | Shanghai | Timex | Vostok

I think there's a combination of "Goldilocks" sweet spot for each individual and adjusting to new expectations. I've had OP's shrinking feeling when I wear the 36mm Seiko my wife gave me 22 years ago, but I've also felt like I'm wearing a clown watch when it's over 42mm. My personal sweet spot is 38-42mm, and like Monocrom I find it interesting that it's bigger than it used to be. When I wear one of my grandfather's vintage watches it looks like doll clothing.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"Watches tie people to the celestial clockwork... but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information