Ok, help me out... Are these fakes?
Like Tree12Likes
  • 6 Post By Earthjade
  • 2 Post By DocHollidayDDS
  • 2 Post By DarthVedder
  • 2 Post By murokello

Thread: Ok, help me out... Are these fakes?

Ok, help me out... Are these fakes?

Long story short, a couple friends started a facebook group for watch collectors, the group grew a bit and they asked me to help them moderate it. One of the bigger rules in the group is that we don't allow the posting of fakes. That obviously can be a bit difficult and I'm pretty sure that we miss some.

I'm not an expert on all brands, but I'm a bit suspicious of these two (I'm 99.99999999% sure that the AP is an awful fake but I'm asking anyway), and two posts would mean banning the guy, so I just want to be sure. The guy's other posts are just Bulovas and Invictas, but strange things can happen and maybe he can own this super limited edition Panerai and the AP is just a terrible pic of a great watch.

Name:  temp.png
Views: 48
Size:  1.07 MB

Re: Ok, help me out... Are these fakes?

Panerai one seems legit (design wise) as they released 5 limited edition models for the 2017 America's Cup. However, as anyone here will tell you, Panerai models are some of the most faked ones out there. I also note that the sub hand on the left on genuine editions of that model should be blue. The length of the 3 and 9 indices also look shorter than they should be.
    As for the AP - I think it doesn't matter. Even if it is legit, no one with any sense of taste would want to buy and own something so hideous and illegible. I'd ban this guy for that alone, tbh.
    Last edited by Earthjade; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:12.
    Seulement, il faut du temps pour être heureux. Beaucoup de temps. Le bonheur lui aussi est une longue patience. - Only, it takes time to be happy. A lot of time. Happiness, too, is a long patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Earthjade View Post
    Panerai one seems legit (design wise) as they released 5 limited edition models for the 2017 America's Cup. However, as anyone here will tell you, Panerai models are some of the most faked ones out there. I also note that the sub hand on the left on genuine editions of that model should be blue. The length of the 3 and 9 indices also look shorter than they should be.
    As for the AP - I think it doesn't matter. Even if it is legit, no one with any sense of taste would want to buy and own something so hideous and illegible. I'd ban this guy for that alone, tbh.
    Good point about the small blue hand. I've also seen that the real one has a pusher below the crown protector, and that one seems to be missing in this "Panerai".

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, that Panerai is definitely fishy-looking, as pointed out, missing the blue sub-dial hand at 9 is a pretty big tell. And yes, there is a pusher below the crown guard. The red hands also look too orange to me, but I suppose that might just be a trick of the light or a crappy camera.

Here's the real deal:

Name:  Panerai-Luminor-1950-Regatta-Oracle-Team-USA-3-Days-Chrono-Flyback-Automatic-Titanio-PAM00726-2.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  646.2 KB
    DarthVedder and ffritz like this.

You should know that we don’t discuss fakes on the forum, you have been here long enough
    My collection changes so often I got tired of redoing my signature

Quote Originally Posted by City74 View Post
    You should know that we don’t discuss fakes on the forum, you have been here long enough
    I'm just asking, which is IMO a fair use of these fora and all the collective knowledge. Since it seems like these are indeed fakes, the thread will be closed in no time.

AP is a fake.

Quote Originally Posted by City74 View Post
    And you should know that asking if something is real or not is totally ok here.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVedder View Post
    I'm just asking, which is IMO a fair use of these fora and all the collective knowledge. Since it seems like these are indeed fakes, the thread will be closed in no time.
    You're missing the point--the REASON the discussion of fakes here (or anywhere else) is prohibited is that in doing so you are aiding and abetting the counterfeit watch-making industry--you are telling them how to improve their replica watches, what people are looking for and so forth--in other words, you are contributing to the problem, not assisting in providing a solution.

Thread Information