Are the old Hamilton military issue watches at all shock-resistant...?

Thread: Are the old Hamilton military issue watches at all shock-resistant...?

Question Are the old Hamilton military issue watches at all shock-resistant...?

Logic suggests to me that military watches (even vintage ones) should be shock-resistant to some degree considering the conditions they're built to be used in... but can anyone confirm this for me?

The particular kind of watch I'm talking about, Hamilton military issue:

(Image borrowed from Google Images)

Re: Are the old Hamilton military issue watches at all shock-resistant...?

How old? Just about anything made after the mid 50s would have a good chance of some shock protection. Look for Incabloc somewhere on the case. American windups from the 40s - not so much.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

I have a WWII era material cabinet for one of the popular movements used in military-issued watches(I forget the number). The cabinet I have contains about 20 balance, completes and probably about twice that many balance staffs. The scary thing is that my cabinet is labeled "One quarter set."

I'd say that, based on that, broken balance staffs were simply an expected casualty.

Shock protection is unusual on most any American movement. The American makers seemed to, instead, focus on making balance staff replacement as easy and non-invasive as possible.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Ray, thanks for the reply.

The one I have is a "replica" of sorts that Hamilton made for Orvis - a Hamilton hack watch with the Orvis logo on the dial - to commemorate Orvis's UK launch in 1982. Apparently it's exactly the same as a Hamilton hack watch, the sole difference being the Orvis logo, so I figured that if the originals have shock resistance, this one should too...? Unless the originals didn't but this 1982 version does...? I don't know.

There is no mention on the case of the watch of it being shock-resistant, but it does say water-resistant.

I decided to ask about the *original* Hamilton military issue watches because not only would I be interested in whether those watches would have been shock resistant, I also, as I said above, would assume that since this watch I have is apparently a Hamilton military issue watch, just released in the early 80s with the Orvis logo, that it's mechanism would probably be the same...?

I wouldn't be surprised if I'm completely wrong about that however!
    Last edited by Rowhyd; February 9th, 2012 at 01:55. Reason: fixing a few small things...

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_hutcherson View Post
    Shock protection is unusual on most any American movement
    Interesting... I wasn't aware of that. Thanks.
    Last edited by Rowhyd; February 9th, 2012 at 01:51.

1982 Swiss made Hamilton? I'd say virtually certain to feature shock resistance. If the original is a WWII American made watch - virtually no chance at all as Ben has pointed out. The 1982 would not have an American made movement since Hamilton ceased US production before 1970. By 1982 shock resistance was so ubiquitous it was unnecessary to say anything about it.
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; February 9th, 2012 at 01:58.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thanks again Ray, you & Ben have really helped.

Thread Information