Old Wittnauer
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By GlennO
  • 1 Post By Watchbreath

Thread: Old Wittnauer

Old Wittnauer

I have an old Wittnauer Geneve Automatic that I would like to know more about. I am new here and don't know how to post a pic. Cannot remove the back to look at numbers. My brother tried to remove it and scratched it up. What I can make out is "use all proof wrench 1075" and the rest is scratched up except for the "stainless steel back." It appears to be 10k gold filled maybe, I don't know. Any help?
    Last edited by rcarter92; December 31st, 2014 at 04:57.

Re: Old Wittnauer

Nope.

Hi rcarter92,

You wont be able to open the back of this watch unless you have the wrench. Take it to a watchmaker and let him do it for you.
    Let me know if it looks like the one below and I can give you bit more info on your watch.

Regards,

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

How do I add an image to a post?
    If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.
    To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing [img] before the URL and [/img] after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarter92 View Post
    I have an old Wittnauer Geneve Automatic that I would like to know more about. I am new here and don't know how to post a pic. Cannot remove the back to look at numbers. My brother tried to remove it and scratched it up. What I can make out is "use all proof wrench 1075" and the rest is scratched up except for the "stainless steel back." It appears to be 10k gold filled maybe, I don't know. Any help?
    That might be a "front loader" meaning the back doesn't come off and the wrench is actually used to compress the crystal and remove it. You can then pull the dial and movement out that way. I have an old Wittnauer that's like that, though I can't remember what number wrench mine says to use.

If you look around the case back and there's no notch at all for getting a knife into to pry, and there are no cut-out type notches to use to unscrew the back, then it's a "front loader".
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

Thanks all for your input so far. I'm going to take it to a jeweler this morning and have them look at it. I'm thinking I want to restore this watch if it doesn't require a second mortgage. Lol! I cannot seem to find the image upload link...should I be using a regular browser maybe instead of chrome (I'm on a 10" tablet)?

No jeweler, watchmaker!
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarter92 View Post
    Thanks all for your input so far. I'm going to take it to a jeweler this morning and have them look at it. I'm thinking I want to restore this watch if it doesn't require a second mortgage. Lol! I cannot seem to find the image upload link...should I be using a regular browser maybe instead of chrome (I'm on a 10" tablet)?
    dbostedo likes this.

Thread Information