Older Automatic Movement - hand-wind to jump-start?
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Older Automatic Movement - hand-wind to jump-start?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Older Automatic Movement - hand-wind to jump-start?

Just scored this very cool, unique Clinton World Timer with a dive bezel. The seller (on the 'Bay) was very communicative and obviously put some work into restoring the watch, including a "minor service". Everything feels buttery smooth.

My vintage watches are mostly hand-wound and I was wondering what people's experience is with this era (60s/70s) of automatic movement? The seller said that the rotor was "balanced and quiet", which it is, although I've noticed that it barely spins at all. My modern Monaco is very noisy, as are my 70s Citizen Challenge timers!

He suggested jump-starting it with a hand-wind, which works, of course, but when I give it the kind of shake I give to my more modern automatics, it only seems to tick for a minute or two. After a hand-wind, it goes strong.

The seller said that modern rotors are heavier and weighted better - I assume that means they spin more freely/easily - and thus will wind a watch without the help of a hand-wind.

It's common knowledge that lower-end automatics from the 60s/70s will need a hand - literally - to wind the movement when it hasn't been worn in a few days - is this what I'm dealing with? In other words, I shouldn't expect to just pop it on fully unwound, give it a little wiggle and go, right?

Thanks in advance,
    Noah

Name:  s-l1600-2.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  249.7 KBName:  s-l1600-3.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  255.1 KB

Re: Older Automatic Movement - hand-wind to jump-start?

My first rule of wearling automatics is to avoid hand-windiing them. Doing so isn't good for some specific movements. If you didn't know this...now you do.

Since your specific watch requires more turns to initially power from rest, then swirl it in your hand longer. Really not that much more 'work'. Then set the date and time as you would for any other mechanical...

There's also a lot of documentation on automatic movements that recommend hand-winding them from dead stops.

For example, from a Tudor Manual: Crown unscrewed counterclockwise to the point where it is free of the screw threads. In this position the watch is ready for manual hand winding by turning the crown clockwise approximately 40 full times. If the watch has not been worn for 1 or 2 days, it will be necessary to rewind the watch in order to fully charge the movement and to guarantee that it will run properly.

This particular watch is, of course, nowhere near the quality of a Rolex, but swirling in my hand for over a minute barely gets it going. I trust that the seller was honest about the condition (and visually, I agree it's in great shape) - but he smartly said he keeps his stuff on winders. So really, it's more of an academic question about a movement like this - could it need a jump-start of a manual wind and then the automatic function is maintenance during the day while I wear it?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kidblue View Post
    There's also a lot of documentation on automatic movements that recommend hand-winding them from dead stops.

For example, from a Tudor Manual: Crown unscrewed counterclockwise to the point where it is free of the screw threads. In this position the watch is ready for manual hand winding by turning the crown clockwise approximately 40 full times. If the watch has not been worn for 1 or 2 days, it will be necessary to rewind the watch in order to fully charge the movement and to guarantee that it will run properly.

This particular watch is, of course, nowhere near the quality of a Rolex, but swirling in my hand for over a minute barely gets it going. I trust that the seller was honest about the condition (and visually, I agree it's in great shape) - but he smartly said he keeps his stuff on winders. So really, it's more of an academic question about a movement like this - could it need a jump-start of a manual wind and then the automatic function is maintenance during the day while I wear it?
    If your manual saying hand-winding is OK, then it's safe to do, of course.

As a rule, since automatics are designed to use wrist motion to wind the spring...that is why I like to do the same, to power the watch from rest rather than hand-winding.

Of course, if your wrist does not sufficiently move enough during the course of the day to wind the watch to the next day (assuming you will wear it the next day as well), then you will have to supplement it by hand-winding.

Looks like an FE.

What's the number under the balance?
    Courtesy of ULF.

Quote Originally Posted by Denizen View Post
    If your manual saying hand-winding is OK, then it's safe to do, of course.

As a rule, since automatics are designed to use wrist motion to wind the spring...that is why I like to do the same, to power the watch from rest rather than hand-winding.

Of course, if your wrist does not sufficiently move enough during the course of the day to wind the watch to the next day (assuming you will wear it the next day as well), then you will have to supplement it by hand-winding.
    At the risk of playing semantics/being a pedant, donít most automatics have different ratcheting winding gears for the crown versus the rotor since the rotor requires far less torque than winding via the crown?

Likely a 3612 or 4612 (possibly 5612 if it's extra thin)
    Attached Images Attached Images

ffritz likes this.
    Courtesy of ULF.

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post
    Looks like an FE.

What's the number under the balance?
    Unclear - canít make it out - whatís an FE?

I always hand wind my automatics before wearing if they have run down. Been doing this for 40 years. Never had a problem.
    Chris Stark likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kidblue View Post
    At the risk of playing semantics/being a pedant, donít most automatics have different ratcheting winding gears for the crown versus the rotor since the rotor requires far less torque than winding via the crown?
    They might.

But I feel it's still 'safer' and preferable to wind an automatic by rotor motion...after all, this is why they are autos.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast