Omega Aqua Terra 150 M 8500 or Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Airborne on Stainless Steel Bracelet
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Omega Aqua Terra 150 M 8500 or Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Airborne on Stainless Steel Bracelet

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Omega Aqua Terra 150 M 8500 or Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Airborne on Stainless Steel Bracelet

I realize that these are very different watches but I wanted to ask some of you forum members that might have owned or currently own both of these watches and could give me some pros and cons to both watches. Below are some pictures of the watches I'm considering. I really like the day/date on the Aqua Terra but I wish it had the raised borders around the day and date like the date version of the Aqua Terra has. But the day/date version is a whopping $2300 - $2500.00 more than just the date version. It may not be worth the price of admission just for day of the week. But I'm open to any/all of your comments and suggestions.

Name:  23110422103001-20.png
Views: 631
Size:  186.9 KBName:  23110422203001-20.png
Views: 621
Size:  98.9 KBName:  DM2076A-S1CAJ-BK.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  152.7 KB

I currently own an Omega PO 600M (see below) with the 8500 movement and it's my current favorite watch due to build quality and the overall feel and aesthetics of the watch including the stainless steel bracelet.

Name:  20140503_111247 (Medium).jpg
Views: 651
Size:  130.5 KB

I also own a Ball Engineer II Arabic Chronometer (see below) which I like as well. It comes in at a distant second in build quality but doesn't match the aesthetics of the Omega especially on the dial, face and indices. But I love the gas tubes. Just not how there inset into the dial. I prefer raised indices which the Ball Airborne has.

Name:  20140704_101335 (Medium).jpg
Views: 660
Size:  114.2 KB

I also own an Oris Royal Flying Doctor Service Limited Edition watch (see below) which I really like as well. But it's build quality comes in at a distant 3rd to the other two especially in the bracelet. But I still really like the watch.

Name:  20140805_154553 (Medium).jpg
Views: 632
Size:  106.8 KB

Re: Omega Aqua Terra 150 M 8500 or Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Airborne on Stainless Steel Bracelet

I like that day date AT too. Didn't know it existed. I only see the date ver around here. But yeah, don't know if it's worth that much extra for a day complication. Although I do like it more.

I can barely tell the difference between your current and perspective Ball. The dial looks the same. I guess the bezel and crown guard is it ? No way I'd own two watches that seem so very similar. So I'd definitely get either AT over that Ball.

Re: Omega Aqua Terra 150 M 8500 or Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Airborne on Stainless Steel Bracelet

This 2 watch that you are considering seems to be very different and looks like ur collection could use more dress watch so i my vote goes to AT. i used to own an AT, fantastic piece ! Anyway i wouldnt go for the day date ... Too expensive and i think the date model is prettier.

Ball watches are pretty, i've handled some but i think hydrocarbons are too bulky and the crown are lame and seems out of place ...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The day date has better symmetry but $2000+ extra for it is highway robbery.

I would go with the Aqua Terra Date, I'm not fond of the crown guard on the Ball, and the price premium on the Day/Date is simply ridiculous, you might as well go with the Annual Calendar instead for just a little bit more.
    WatchNut22 and ck1109 like this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

E52

The Ball you own looks like the ball you want to buy. So for that, no from me.
    The AT day/date IMO is not worth the more money compared to AT date.
    So i would choose AT date. One more plus for me is the no polished center links of AT date

Best regards
    E52

The dial on the Ball is really really really similar to your Ball, so no Ball for me. Omega wins by default.

EHV

Quote Originally Posted by E52 View Post
    The Ball you own looks like the ball you want to buy. So for that, no from me.
    The AT day/date IMO is not worth the more money compared to AT date.
    So i would choose AT date. One more plus for me is the no polished center links of AT date

Best regards
    E52
    +1. Couldn't have stated it better.

If who've got an Omega and a Ball already, perhaps consider another brand? I guess that it just the obsessive part of me talking.
    E52 likes this.

Omega AT with that gorgeous textured blue dial, hands down.
    coastiesquid likes this.

Omega Aqua Terra 150 M 8500 or Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Airborne on Stainles...

I haven't own either the Hydrocarbon or AT you listed, so take this for what it's worth. (I do own different Omegas & my wife owns a Ball, so I have a little familiarity with the brands).

Price aside, the AT is a better looking watch to me than the Ball in question. Plus both AT versions have a different look than your other watches, more so to me than the Hydrocarbon Airborne. That's where I sit on the options you have listed.

Frankly, if I was in your shoes & already had the watches in your collection, I would diversify more with a different brand than Omega or Ball as you already own one of each. Good luck!
    Last edited by Kluber; October 24th, 2014 at 15:08.
    coastiesquid likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information