Omega PO service recommendation needed - grey market timepiece

Thread: Omega PO service recommendation needed - grey market timepiece

Omega PO service recommendation needed - grey market timepiece

Please help a WUS novice:
    Long story short: A year ago I purchased an Omega PO under the understanding that serial number was erased from case. So far so good. Love the watch.
    Last week I sent the timepiece to Omega Service Center in NJ for an evaluation, I wanted to have it serviced as a regular maintenance.
    Problem is - there is no serial number on the movement either, so Omega will not provide any service to it. Surprise to me, and bigger issue - I now have nowhere to go for service except a jeweler that can service the watch and use genuine Omega parts (Omega told me some accounts can order spare parts).
    I understand this is the risk of purchasing grey market timepieces and I'm definitely done doing so. I was under the impression that the movement had serial number, so I'll talk to seller about that. Bottom line though - I really hope someone on the forum can help me recommend a jeweler that I can send the piece to.

Thanks for your time!

Re: Omega PO service recommendation needed - grey market timepiece

What was they grey market?

What grey market dealer would erase the SN from the case? Do you mean you purchased from a private seller?
    Swiss: ​Omega Speedmaster Professional (3573.50), Rolex Air King (114200), Rolex Submariner ND (114060)
    Russian: Vostok Amphibian
    German: Nomos Club Automat, Nomos Tangente Datum
    Japanese: Grand Seiko (SBGR051), Seiko Presage Urushi (SARW013), Seiko Orange Monster

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gagnello View Post
    What grey market dealer would erase the SN from the case? Do you mean you purchased from a private seller?
    Some of AD would before shipping extra watches to grey dealers, in fear that the manufacture would track the pieces and pin them down.

I haven't seen a no serial from a Grey in years, though I suppose it exists, surprised it was done to an Omega since they historically have been less active against the GM than others. To answer your question Nesbit's in Seattle and Archer in Canada.

Where are you located, so members can offer a more localized suggestion?
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I'm in greater NY area. Boarder of CT.
    Watch was bought on WUS. I've already emailed the seller to get a point of view on the missing serial on the movement. I was a bit naive I guess, but was never told that the serial was missing on the movement, just on the case.

Thanks for your help so far!

I didn't know watches have serial numbers on the movements themselves. Specifically what part of the movement would the serial numbers be on? Wouldn't that be a pretty complex process for an AD to open up the watch, remove serial numbers, and put it back together again? All without damaging anything and sealing it back up properly to ensure water resistance.

Every gray market seller I've seen online within the last decade or so guarantees serial numbers to be intact. I hate to bring up the possibility, but could the watch be fake or hot?

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco10 View Post
    I hate to bring up the possibility, but could the watch be fake or hot?
    I don't think that's the case here - I think the Omega Service Center would have told him if that was the case, wouldn't they? I would hope so, anyway.
    Sent from my bathroom using [email protected]

Yeah I'm surprised about the movement aspect of it. Case having serial numbers removed has been heard of before nothing that new. But I guess the movement number that has to match the COSC certificate has been removed from the movement? Someone went through that much trouble to get rid of that watch?

I dont know, first alarm sign for me is its not original. If you are 100% it is, might not be too hard to find a local reputed watch repairman who can service it.

Thread Information